Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Opinions on Audi S5 ??...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on Audi S5 ??...

I just saw the new Audi S5 for the first time this weekend when I was down town and really fell for it. After reading on Audi website I think I might have found my next fun car, like worth selling my 951 for.... Anyone here have any experiences with them, good or bad? They have the 4.2L V8 motor which is quite. I friend of mine just bought a A6 with the same engine (he is a racing buddy) and was amazed by the power it has.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:39 PM
bigdeano
Burning Brakes

They do look very good. A friend of mine has an S4 and another friend has a GTI. They both have bad throttle response and a VERY numb clutch IMHO. Definitely fun to drive, but they're weird to adjust your timing to. Based on my experience in those two cars, I'd say it's the same throttle response/clutch feeling for Audi/VW across the board.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:41 PM
Stuttgart996
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

audi's are very solid cars. I had a b5 s4(the twin turbo one) and i just got the newer v8 one. Never had any problems with either of them knock on wood. Car is very tight and feels brand new at 60000 miles.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Well, what I am considering is selling my 951 (hopefully get some decent money for it to put down on the car) and buying a used S5 6-speed. I would use it as my weekend/fun/DE car. As of right now, I don't see getting that serious into doing track events so I think I would like the S5 much better. It is +20 years newer and not many cars catch my attention like it did everytime I see it, not even my car now! Of course, the $50k for a new one is not cheap either. Keep the comments coming, I was really expecting some people to tear me apart in the way of "You could spend half that money and get a faster car...." etc etc. I am curious how it would do in a straight line compared to my car now, well for that matter I wonder how it does on the track compared to my car in general. The lower end my car would get eaten alive since it has the low end power and AWD but after that I wonder how it would be.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:31 PM
bigdeano
Burning Brakes

Gonna be hard to find one for under 50k seeing as the first year they were in the US was 2008 so they're all basically still new and low mileage
Old 03-08-2009, 06:41 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Yea, I know that but I am going to pay off my current daily car and motorcycle before I get it. When I sell my 951, I will use that as my down payment.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:33 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike1982
I just saw the new Audi S5 for the first time this weekend when I was down town and really fell for it. After reading on Audi website I think I might have found my next fun car, like worth selling my 951 for.... Anyone here have any experiences with them, good or bad? They have the 4.2L V8 motor which is quite. I friend of mine just bought a A6 with the same engine (he is a racing buddy) and was amazed by the power it has.
I have a TT as my beater when the P-Cars are down for maintenance, and I have driven the A4 Sport and S4 and S5, and they are all very fun cars... Nice throttle response, nice torque curves, excellent handling. Other than a few squeaks here and there my TT drives like new with over 100K on the clock...

Good luck, my Audi dealer has been hitting me up pretty hard to come in for a new A4 or A6, they are looking to make deals... The Audi sales manager at my dealership is a 968 driver, and I bet would take either of my P-cars for a decent trade in.... Don't settle and you can get what you want for the price you are willing to pay...
Old 03-08-2009, 08:43 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 246 Posts

A good friend of mine in Philly has an S5 - he's not a "driver", but absolutely loves it. One thing he did say that surprised him was the amount of attention it creates; he considered the shape "low key", which I do also, but he said that he is constantly acknowledging waves & thumbs ups from admirers.

You can't really go wrong with the Audi 4.2 engine & the quattro will definitely see you through the nasty mid-west winters with a smile (snow tires, of course).
Old 03-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

I've driven a few and I must say that is one of my favorites on the market right now. I like the A5 but the power somewhat disappoints, though I'm sure it'd make a great dd. The S5 steps it up bringing the power to a nice level. It is a great looking car. I have a a6 2.7t now (s4 engine) and have have thought about maybe a newer s4 which is larger than the last one but the the prices of a e46 M3s are really good right now.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:18 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

The S5 is a great car, but like even the B5 S4 they are a bit heavy for serious track work. My S4 chewed up rear brake pads worse than the fronts and was very hard on the front loaded tire depending on which way the track turned. For a comparison to the 951, my S4 was 5 secs slower in a very fast long autox course we have. That was for an overall time of around 100sec. My S4 was stock so there was a significant difference in the lb/hr. This reference is given as the newer V8 S4's were about the same time as my V6 TT S4 and the V8 S4s are probably very close to the S5. Neither of them pull as hard as my 951 though.

The S5 with the V8 should be a great DD and a friend who has one loves it. If you can, and for your driving pleasure, find an RS4. My RS4 is dramatically a more capable car than the previous S4 and with slightly less weight than the S5 and 70 more HP, it might be a better fit. The RS4 doesn't feel like a sedan and I am very impressed by its handling, however, I have not had it on the track....yet. I drive it in the winter and with a set of Blizzaks it is a tremendously capable winter car.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:31 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Perfect city car. Not a track alternate car though. Sure you can track it, but it's not the weekend bruiser our cars can be. But that's what I love about it. Brawny, sleek, refined, comfy. Will probably be top of my city car list in the next couple of years.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:43 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks nice, decent power. Back seats are not that useful but if you wanted those you wouldn't be looking at the 5.

Had a run with one in the 986S and it seemed pretty potent though it is certainly a lot heavier. I loved my A6 wagon, it just needed moar pow4r. From what I have read the S5 was kinda hard to get and so there might not be a ton of early ones to choose from used.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:20 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Great street car but don't consider it for any track duty - you won't be able to afford the tires!
Old 03-09-2009, 09:30 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

I have one on order right now, it comes in the 1st week of April. The thing I'm most upset about is that I'm stuck with the n/a. The new ones are going to be v6 turbocharged. Had I known that, I would have waited. Anyhow they are great touring cars. They have just enough power to make them a little fun but I feel the excitement will fade away. They have a lot of gadgets and a great interior. The v-8 sounds good with an exhaust.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Yea, I hear the V8 with exhaust work, WOW, that is a great sound! I am looking at next spring for getting the car because of money and what not but still kicking the idea around.

Quick Reply: Opinions on Audi S5 ??...