Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

TIP: Somebody should take a GM LS1 computer and run in it on a 951

Old 03-11-2009, 11:46 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 95ONE
I am Soooo NOT surprised

After fooling with my brothers new 415 stroker my interest is very much renewed .

I am curious to see how my car fairs now vs just the 6.0
Old 08-09-2009, 02:21 AM
hp18racer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Instead of a LSx computer, how about the one for the Cobalt SS Turbo, Solstice Turbo or Sky Turbo? HP Tuners works with them too. You could start with a factory wire harness, sensors, coil packs already set up for a 4 cylinder car.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Wrench Monkey
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New guy here but know quite a bit on the LS stuff...

The LS2 would be the way to go by far between it and the LS1 computer... I think there is a way to get around the electronic throttle body also.

If the new Coblat turbo SS or Solstice ect ect computer has the same peramiters then I am sure it would be less work but getting one of those comptuers cheap would be hard. I know Speartech to retrofits and will pretty much build any harness/computer you could dream of but if it was me and I had the money I would see if you could get a Big Stuff 3 for one of these cars.... those make even the LS2 computers look like a joke....
Old 08-09-2009, 06:34 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 489 Posts

not sure how it would affect things but the three cars mentioned above are all direct injection
Old 08-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Wrench Monkey
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
not sure how it would affect things but the three cars mentioned above are all direct injection
Good point.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:00 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anybody do this yet?

GM LS1 computers are $80 on ebay and have a ton of configuration capabilities.

I read somewhere that a couple of people had used these on 4 cylinders so I know it can be done.

Cheap, reliable, very configurable.

Someone needs to get the crank and cam trigger wheels made and set one up (and no more distributor.... individual coils-per-cylinder).

TonyG
Old 10-13-2013, 04:37 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by robstah
Here's a guy to get a hold of in this matter:

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....l=1#post137231
I saw that thread quite some time ago.

So yeah it will work.

The cool thing is that you can put the cam sensor on the end of the cam where the distributor now sits (I think Clewett a cam sensor bolt on package) since the GM setup uses individual coils (again... very inexpensive used).

If I was still running the turbo 4 this is the setup I'd be running for sure.

Plus... there are a million GM performance shops with dynos that can tune the thing very easily using HP Tuners.

$80 on ebay. Plus a cam and crank trigger and a set of used coil packs from a LS1. I'm sure the entire setup would be under $400.

TonyG
Old 03-14-2015, 12:25 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by fastmover
I was planning on doing the same thing, but with a ford computer and the tweecer rt setup. I had the tweecer set up on my old mustang, and got real familular with all the different variables that can be configured.
You could set it up for 2-12 cylinders, any firing order, displacement, sequential or batch fire injection, ignition style, boost control, knock control. also it had injector timing controls so you can fine tune your injectors to match any cam profile.

The computers are dirt cheap, used harnesses are dirt cheap as is the tweecer rt, and it even data logs to boot.

I might look into the ls computers also Tony.

Semper fi
bumping this thread..
which ECU is easier to work with as a "DIY tuner", the GM LS unit or one of the Ford pieces?

either one has the same amount of "pro help" available if needed, both equally common and capable.

depending on year both let you have coil on/near plug.

but the ford stuff has been around a little longer (early 90s with the introduction of the Mod motor) so early stuff might be easier to wire up to the car, but itd be cool to have OBDII
Old 03-14-2015, 01:01 PM
Taymar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could you use this setup and still have all the factory gauges function correctly?
Old 03-14-2015, 01:11 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by Taymar
Could you use this setup and still have all the factory gauges function correctly?
Yes. All the LSx 944's engine swaps use the factory gauges.

TonyG
Old 03-14-2015, 01:24 PM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Why would you need to do such thing? There are ECU's available that plug right into 951 stock DME and KLR harness (use all sensors, including knock) and drive better than factory ECU:

If this post is not allowed, please remove it..
Old 03-14-2015, 01:53 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by Raceboy
Why would you need to do such thing? There are ECU's available that plug right into 951 stock DME and KLR harness (use all sensors, including knock) and drive better than factory ECU: VEMS Plug and Play ECU for Porsche 944 Turbo - YouTube

If this post is not allowed, please remove it..
Because GM computers are $80. GM has made millions of them. They aren't buggy, never fail, and there a gazillion tuners all over the world that can tune against them. The have OBD1 or 2, can do boost, N/A, MAP, MAF, Alpha-N, individual coils, sequential or batch fire, traction control, drive by wire or cable TB, on and on.... all for $80.

A late model OEM computer is hard to beat.

That said... I threw it out there as a suggestion as to what I would be using (or tying to use) if I were still using a Porsche turbo 4 engine.

TonyG
Old 03-14-2015, 02:23 PM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

I think this ECU scheme is brilliant. Who is capable and can put together a package? The only challenges appear to be mechanical (sensor set-up), and electronic (harness). Perhaps two capable guys could collaborate to address these issues and I would imagine lots of people would benefit. This is a good example of the value of RL!
Old 03-14-2015, 02:53 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by michaelmount123
I think this ECU scheme is brilliant. Who is capable and can put together a package? The only challenges appear to be mechanical (sensor set-up), and electronic (harness). Perhaps two capable guys could collaborate to address these issues and I would imagine lots of people would benefit. This is a good example of the value of RL!
The only "difficult part" is that you need crank & position wheels & sensors. I've seen them on various 951's in the past. But I don't know if anybody is making them commercially.

The wiring harness is easy.

TonyG
Old 03-14-2015, 04:43 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

What about the knock control part? Would you still keep the KLR or do the GM units have this built in?

Originally Posted by TonyG
The only "difficult part" is that you need crank & position wheels & sensors. I've seen them on various 951's in the past. But I don't know if anybody is making them commercially.

The wiring harness is easy.

TonyG

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TIP: Somebody should take a GM LS1 computer and run in it on a 951