Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rear wing options???

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 02:12 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Guns951
The blue car has the Under Pressure Performance (Scott Gomes) wing setup that is mounted to the frame rails via cuts in the body that channel it to the furthest point rearward in the car for maximum downforce placement. It was built at a near $200k price tag with a sister car and they both ruled Club Racing in their areas, changed hands not too long ago - very nice car. Crawford Composites had a hand in the bodywork etc..

Umm, no. The blue 55 car is/was built for Woodie of World Wide Wines, Jason and Jim Lockton built it.

I have a set of uprights from the car. They went through the rear fiberglass body and attached to the cars rear subframe. Since the back half of this car was tube framed, its not a big deal. On a streetcar, you would have to be creative but it can be done.

here is a pic of the non-drilled bracket.
Attached Images  
Old 02-26-2009, 02:44 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm in the process of finishing up a one-off wing for my own personal project right now myself.

Mine will be mounted to the rear body panel as described by Ryan.

I haven't decided yet whether any additional bracing will be necessary but the rear panel with it's inner structure still intact seems easily up to the task as a mounting point.

I'm pretty certain that the entire rear of a 944 could be lifted off the ground by using this panel as a lift point without distortion to the panel.

I'll post some pics of my uprights and mount design later and can easily pick up the rear of a 944 from the rear panel with a fork lift if anyone really wants to see it....

T
Old 02-27-2009, 12:47 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by evil 944t
Umm, no. The blue 55 car is/was built for Woodie of World Wide Wines, Jason and Jim Lockton built it.

I have a set of uprights from the car. They went through the rear fiberglass body and attached to the cars rear subframe. Since the back half of this car was tube framed, its not a big deal. On a streetcar, you would have to be creative but it can be done.

Now it makes sense.

It was supported not off the unibody, but off of the tube frame.

Thanks for the clarification. Goes to show how pictures can be deceiving.

TonyG
Old 02-27-2009, 12:54 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TonyG
Now it makes sense.

It was supported not off the unibody, but off of the tube frame.

Thanks for the clarification. Goes to show how pictures can be deceiving.

TonyG

Here you go Tony, this is for you! Its not very clear but you can see it..
Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2009, 01:18 AM
ShApE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lorax
Oh I'm not talking about coming in through the 1/4 panels. That would be quite unwieldy.

I'm talking about mounting to (through) the rear body panel. similar to how 95ONE did it, only using the design I described above.

sorry to quote a pic, but is that a custom one off diffuser???? please say no
Old 02-27-2009, 03:58 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what was incorrect about my statement? That Crawford Composites made the bodywork? I talked to Lockton when I was considering buying it when it was up for sale, was also interested in his centerlock setup. He even stated it in the advertisement.

And just an FYI, Scott Gomes sells a kit exactly like that for the wing setup.
Attached Images    
Old 02-27-2009, 04:07 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShApE
sorry to quote a pic, but is that a custom one off diffuser???? please say no
IIRC it's built for a jap car.

$$
Old 02-27-2009, 08:17 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Guns951
So what was incorrect about my statement? That Crawford Composites made the bodywork? I talked to Lockton when I was considering buying it when it was up for sale, was also interested in his centerlock setup. He even stated it in the advertisement.

And just an FYI, Scott Gomes sells a kit exactly like that for the wing setup.
I think he misread what you wrote and thought you were saying that Gomes built the car perhaps?
You got any internal shots of those Gomes cars Gabriel? That's some serious wing on there!
Old 02-27-2009, 10:01 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I think he misread what you wrote and thought you were saying that Gomes built the car perhaps?
You got any internal shots of those Gomes cars Gabriel? That's some serious wing on there!
I read it as it as "the blue car has a UPP SG wing setup" when in fact it was someone elses design that he now makes and sells.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:06 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The blue car and the 968's has the UPP wing plates.

Info I got from Scott about 1 ½ year ago:
-------
We fabricate/manufacture the wing uprights and internal mounting plates. The whole setup is pretty trick. The mounting plates allow the uprights to be adjusted fore and aft about an inch an a half. Of course the wing height and overhang are PCA legal.

The kit price is $xxx and comes with with all hardware for installation. The installation is VERY straightforward. The internal mounting plates are setup for the GT Racing wing spacing, but can be adapted to just about anything.

--------
Old 02-27-2009, 10:14 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Duke
The blue car and the 968's has the UPP wing plates.

Info I got from Scott about 1 ½ year ago:
-------
We fabricate/manufacture the wing uprights and internal mounting plates. The whole setup is pretty trick. The mounting plates allow the uprights to be adjusted fore and aft about an inch an a half. Of course the wing height and overhang are PCA legal.

The kit price is $xxx and comes with with all hardware for installation. The installation is VERY straightforward. The internal mounting plates are setup for the GT Racing wing spacing, but can be adapted to just about anything.

--------
I will say this and then I will let this go.. The Blue 55 car had a sister car, the yellow 66 car in Guns last pic. Both the 55 and the 66 car had the uprights before anyone else. I know and ST can vouch for it as we both lived in CT when they raced at Lime Rock Park. The 66 car was sold to a UPP customer and now ever car has these uprights. These cars were built by a good friend of mine, that is why I have a set. The wing uprights were designed by them and to fit a Crawford wing.

ok, I'm done.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:16 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like Hooters wings.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

I think the setup could work for a street driven track car with a smaller wing element and uprights with half the height. It could end up as a more extreme variant than the 968 ts wing but still not "all out race".
Old 02-27-2009, 11:07 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Duke
Ok, thanks for the clarification.

I think the setup could work for a street driven track car with a smaller wing element and uprights with half the height. It could end up as a more extreme variant than the 968 ts wing but still not "all out race".

Sorry, I'm pretty sensitive about giving credit where its do, to the point were I look like an **** but, oh well..

Yes, these can be remade. These can be lower and swoop foward and making a lower slung wing similar to a newer car that wrpas around the rear of the car..

If CPR can make the wing, I can help him with the brackets.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:18 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, I'm pretty sensitive about giving credit where its do, to the point were I look like an **** but, oh well..

Yes, these can be remade. These can be lower and swoop foward and making a lower slung wing similar to a newer car that wrpas around the rear of the car..

If CPR can make the wing, I can help him with the brackets.
Can do.....design-mold-produce. 6 weeks start to finish......

Let me know.

Quick Reply: Rear wing options???