Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   Rear wing options??? (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/484607-rear-wing-options.html)

ritzblitz 03-02-2009 10:46 PM

This is OT, but I just found this picture of a 350Z with an interesting hood that looks similar to what some of the 951 guys here do. Kinda like a vented header panel without a vent. I bet a vent makes it worse.

http://www.bespokeventures.com/blog/...5432602_rs.jpg

Check out the effect! Major delamination. Hard to say whether or not it's even relevant to a 951, but you have to wonder.

V2Rocket 03-02-2009 11:08 PM

on the Z the bulge is in the forward part of the hood to make room for something else, generally ive seen it hiding the vortech supercharger kits that are available for those cars.

on a 951 the bulge you are probably referring to is on the lindsey stage v header panel which is much lower and further forward on the car but overall doesnt stick up that much, in addition it is not a closed bulge like the Z's rather it is an intake for the big intercooler that air flows through. if anything it might be a liability for causing lift but a good lower splitter/spoiler should take care of that

ritzblitz 03-02-2009 11:26 PM

The header panel will still cause delamination.

333pg333 03-02-2009 11:44 PM

Well on another matter I am looking at a vent for my c/f hood. It is an outlet vent rather than scoop. This is so that it can work in with the 931 nose vents to create a flow through effect. With the large front mount i/c in front of the a/c condenser and radiator, we want to get as much flow through as possible. Ultimately we might duct it directly to dedicate it entirely for this purpose. It won't have a big bulge like the Z in the pic, but I'm still looking for the appropriate option.
Any ideas on this? I would need something that I could have cut into the current c/f hood and melded in.

ritzblitz 03-02-2009 11:55 PM

NACA ducts are where it's at from an intake standpoint. From an outlet standpoint, a hood vent similar to the one on an F40 LM looks like it would be very efficient.

333pg333 03-02-2009 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by TonyG (Post 6320796)
Hans's wing looks like my wing, which is the Kokeln wing (same wing, same mounting hardware).

And... this is the wing to have....

No 944 or 968 anything wing will produce the level of downforce that this wing produces.

In a 944, any wing that produces significant downoforce should transfer its downforce to the frame rails.

TonyG

Tony do you remember approx how much the Kokeln one cost?

Duke 03-03-2009 06:12 AM

Here's a pretty fast car...
http://www.juergen-alzen-motorsport....ia/39_9563.jpg

333pg333 03-03-2009 07:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Now that does put the 'Black' into 'Decker' lol
Perhaps a little large for my application Duke :)
I've decided upon the medium size cheap one. I was going to do the large but thought for now it was too big plus it's twice the price and if it's crap I didn't want to have $1000 into it. $500 is fine for now. It should look a little like this car.

333pg333 03-03-2009 07:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I am struggling to find a decent hood vent though. The best I can come up with are these. They're overpriced but having the 2 might work in better with this hood as it has the stock center support underneath.
At $400 for the pair they're not cheap but as I said, coming up with something hasn't been as easy as I thought.
I am also keen on the Aerocatch hood latches for security/safety as well with the c/f hood.

Hoping both can be retro fitted to an existing hood?

Lorax 03-03-2009 07:39 AM

$400? Yikes man. I'd just use the uglier one for 1/4 of the price...

333pg333 03-03-2009 07:42 AM

Yeah I know but damn it is ugly. Have you ever checked out these things on the internet? It is depressing how many parts there are for so many other cars except ours. C/F up the wazoo flying around the neighborhood, just not on our cars.

TonyG 03-03-2009 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by 333pg333 (Post 6342618)
I am struggling to find a decent hood vent though. The best I can come up with are these. They're overpriced but having the 2 might work in better with this hood as it has the stock center support underneath.
At $400 for the pair they're not cheap but as I said, coming up with something hasn't been as easy as I thought.
I am also keen on the Aerocatch hood latches for security/safety as well with the c/f hood.

Hoping both can be retro fitted to an existing hood?

This sounds like a good project for the guys making the new V1 & V3 splitters!!!

TonyG

333pg333 03-03-2009 03:21 PM

Actually not a bad idea Tony. These could be inserted into steel, f/g, or c/f hoods. The concept will work for anyone's car. Getting rid of underhood heat will help virtually any car and especially modified cars and even moreso ones with larger front mount i/c. It's a win for all.

Slantnose! 03-03-2009 03:27 PM

I thought I've seen some wings attached to the license plate area.

333pg333 03-03-2009 03:38 PM

Yes Marc you have but I want something that is modular. I have a spare lexan hatch and want to be able to mount this wing through the lexan and into the hatch area onto something very sturdy. Then take it all off and put my normal hatch (which will have a 968 trs wing) on for day to day use. By doing it the other way I would have to modify or cut into the rear bodywork which I am hoping to avoid.