Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   '87 and up spindles question... (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/484319-87-and-up-spindles-question.html)

SprintStar 02-22-2009 09:19 PM

'87 and up spindles question...

Are they all equal?

Or were some stronger than the others?

I'm asking because I found a pair of spindles with hubs. I'm sure they are the later offset ones but are strange because the ABS sensor hole is cast there but not drilled thru. The hub doesn't seem to have the toothed section for the ABS sensor to read. It's all flat?

So, are these spindles good? Can I use them to replace my '86 Turbo spindles?

Oh, also I know I need to run camber plates to keep my '86 control arms. I got a pair but they are for use with smaller diameter springs. Are there top hats which allow use of the original diameter springs? I do like how the suspension is otherwise setup now so I don't want new springs.

Thanks!

Sprint.

Chris White 02-22-2009 09:23 PM

87-88 are the same.
89 are the tubo S - different caliper mounting and a better spindle (also not cheap!)
Antilock brakes were an option - you have some that were not drilled for the ABS sensors. just make sure nobody slipped you a set of NA spindles!

SprintStar 02-22-2009 09:55 PM

Hello Chris!

I've heard about the Turbo S spindles. I know the caliper mount is different but what makes them better? Is it the construction or material?

So is there any advantage to step up to a '87-'88 spindle from a '86? Or don't bother unless it's a '88S?

Hehe.. I'm quite sure they are not NA spindles. I measured the caliper mount spacing. Same as my '86.

Thanks!

Sprint.

Originally Posted by Chris White (Post 6312392)
87-88 are the same.
89 are the tubo S - different caliper mounting and a better spindle (also not cheap!)
Antilock brakes were an option - you have some that were not drilled for the ABS sensors. just make sure nobody slipped you a set of NA spindles!

Chris White 02-23-2009 08:35 AM

The turbo S spindle (and hub) is very different. Beffer, uses different bearings (larger) and of course the calipers.
The 87/88 spindles are stronger than the 86 and if you do the full conversion you can use a lot of nice wheels (same offset as decades of 911s)

kdjones2000 02-23-2009 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Chris White (Post 6313289)
The turbo S spindle (and hub) ... uses different bearings (larger) ...

Nope, same bearings for '88 and '88S spindles....

SprintStar 02-25-2009 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by kdjones2000 (Post 6316076)
Nope, same bearings for '88 and '88S spindles....

I checked up PET. You are right. The bearing are the same. There were 2 only sets of bearings available. Pre and post '87.

As for spindles, there are altogether 5 types, '86 944, '86 Turbo, '87-'88 944, '87 Turbo and '88 Turbo S.

So, which brings us back to the same question... Is there a strength issue between the '86 Turbo spindle and '87 Turbo spindle.

For that matter about offset, I did put up a '86 and a '87 spindle to measure and I can't see any discernable difference to my naked eye...

Thanks!

Sprint.

Trucho-951 02-25-2009 10:00 AM

Well, I just bought some 87 hubs and spindles for my 86, and it seems to me that the 87 spindles are stronger (about 2mm thicker diameter, hence uses bigger bearings also).

However, what I don’t like is how Porsche designed the 87 hubs. Why, because there is a lot less material around the outer edge of the wheel studs (as compared to the 86 hubs). This looks like a poor design, just asking for metal fatigue induced cracks in this area. I really wished Porsche would not have made this outer edge so thin.

kdjones2000 02-25-2009 10:01 AM

And the answer was that the later spindles were a bit beefier than the earlies. Don't worry about the Turbo S spindles, as they are basically unobtanium nowadays.

Make sure you get the correct hubs for the spindles, as those are different as well.

Cheers,

Keith

Chris White 02-25-2009 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Trucho-951 (Post 6321447)
Well, I just bought some 87 hubs and spindles for my 86, and it seems to me that the 87 spindles are stronger (about 2mm thicker diameter, hence uses bigger bearings also).

However, what I don’t like is how Porsche designed the 87 hubs. Why, because there is a lot less material around the outer edge of the wheel studs (as compared to the 86 hubs). This looks like a poor design, just asking for metal fatigue induced cracks in this area. I really wished Porsche would not have made this outer edge so thin.

20 years later and hub failures are pretty rare (except some turbo S track cars!)....I guess they got it right!

It terms of poor design - having to remove the hub to change the rotors (86) was a real bad idea. Major PIA at the track,

SprintStar 02-25-2009 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Trucho-951 (Post 6321447)

How are you planning to do the upgrade? Did you get the '87 control arms as well or are you going to use camber plates? I eyeballed it but the angle looks the same.

I think althought the material is less but because the disc fits over it, it's some form of control against metal fatigue...

What say the rest?

Sprint.

SprintStar 02-25-2009 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Chris White (Post 6321546)
20 years later and hub failures are pretty rare (except some turbo S track cars!)....I guess they got it right!

It terms of poor design - having to remove the hub to change the rotors (86) was a real bad idea. Major PIA at the track,

Are there a lot of failure on the the '86 spindles?

Sprint.

PorscheDoc 02-25-2009 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by SprintStar (Post 6321682)
Are there a lot of failure on the the '86 spindles?

Sprint.

Yes....a lot.

Trucho-951 02-25-2009 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Chris White (Post 6321546)

Yeah, can't argue against real life results. I agree, I like how the new design allows rotors to be changed more quickly.

Trucho-951 02-25-2009 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by SprintStar (Post 6321676)
How are you planning to do the upgrade? Did you get the '87 control arms as well or are you going to use camber plates? I eyeballed it but the angle looks the same.

Sprint.

I'm keeping the 86 arms for now but will eventually change over to the 87 arms in order to use a 52mm wheel offset that the new spindles require.

Also, I like the idea of using the 87 longer control arms in order to reduce the ball joint to steering knuckle angle at full suspension compression.