Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Too much oil coming from AOS, what's going on?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 04:31 PM
StoneGrey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too much oil coming from AOS, what's going on?

Thank you for your time in answering my questions. I have an unusual amount of oil coming out the hose connected to the “J” boot from the AOS. I’ve been finding oil at the inlet side of the turbo, IC pipes, IC and throttle body. I disconnected the hose at the J boot and directed to a plastic bottle open to the air. I plugged the opening at the J boot where the hose came from, to eliminate unmetered air. Drove the car for amount 4 mi with a few WOT shifts and returned to check the bottle. It had about 4 ozs of oil in there.
Now I know why I had wet oil pooling in the IC pipes and the intake system as a whole.
Why is this happening and what has failed? Some background about my car: 7000mi since New piston rings, rod bearings, rebuilt turbo, new oil pan gasket, AOS seals, head work like valve seats and guides – flatness check. I did check the AOS openings and all looked good when I had the turbo removed, no restrictions and pretty clean. Compression is 145psi +/- 4 %. No leakdown test performed yet. Currently at 222,000mi, 88 Turbo S.
During the 4 mi test run the car felt stronger with quicker acceleration, and the IC pipes were dry, no oil. How do I eliminate this oil coming from the AOS and being ingested into the engine? Why is the AOS not doing it’s job?
Kind regards,
Tom
Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2009, 10:31 PM
StoneGrey
Intermediate

Any thoughts?
Old 02-23-2009, 10:46 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

The only thing I can see is that your rings have not seated and under boost you are pressurizing the crankcase with blowby. Do the same thing except go out and drive the same distance and never get into any boost, see what is in the bottle.

Have you done a leak down check?
Old 02-23-2009, 11:04 PM
StoneGrey
Intermediate

Thanks, I did that, just a few drops of oil in the plastic bottle. After 7,000 mi I would have thought the rings would have seated. I haven't done a leak down yet.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:22 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

How many miles on the turbo itself? Have you considered a catch can?
Old 02-24-2009, 07:31 PM
StoneGrey
Intermediate

Turbo has 7000mi since rebuild, prior to that it was original at 215,000mi. I'm considering a catch can but would like to know why so much oil is coming from this hose. Like Dand86951 said, it may be that the rings haven't seated yet - possibly due to the extra oil being drawn into the intake and delaying the seating process.

Tom

Quick Reply: Too much oil coming from AOS, what's going on?