Old 02-20-2009, 09:09 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorax
I think the upgrade is ~120, but do not quote me on that. ask john. I can't remember what the cost was.

Also I recommend getting the boost solenoid he sells to add electronic boost control to the control of the system.
The $125 is for the MAP sensor only. Not for the complete upgrade. If you already have the MAF kit, chip/board and the PiggyBack, the upgrade is $495 (or $620 including the MAP sensor).

As far as I'm concerned, the V-FLEX with the ignition retard and the overboost protection already saved my engine. When I was developing the boost control function, my fat fingers typed the wrong value (Maximum boost). Luckily, I had the overboost set to a reasonable value and it shut it down. Between driving, typing, and trying to monitor the sensors I had no chance to react fast enough on my own.
Imagine you are on the track and your WG gets stuck. If you don't shut it down, it'll take you no time to blow something up. How many people here had a overboost condition, and now you think how lucky you were that you didn't blow things up? Well the next time you may bot be so lucky!
Old 02-20-2009, 10:47 AM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fast951
The $125 is for the MAP sensor only. Not for the complete upgrade. If you already have the MAF kit, chip/board and the PiggyBack, the upgrade is $495 (or $620 including the MAP sensor).

As far as I'm concerned, the V-FLEX with the ignition retard and the overboost protection already saved my engine. When I was developing the boost control function, my fat fingers typed the wrong value (Maximum boost). Luckily, I had the overboost set to a reasonable value and it shut it down. Between driving, typing, and trying to monitor the sensors I had no chance to react fast enough on my own.
Imagine you are on the track and your WG gets stuck. If you don't shut it down, it'll take you no time to blow something up. How many people here had a overboost condition, and now you think how lucky you were that you didn't blow things up? Well the next time you may bot be so lucky!

Can you describe what happens with the car when overboost protection kicks in incase my experience with overboost is something else going on? For me the car feels like it shuts down for a second, almost like buck or a single stutter.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:01 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jasonlp
Can you describe what happens with the car when overboost protection kicks in incase my experience with overboost is something else happening? For me the car feels like it shuts down for a second, almost like buck or a single stutter.
When you hit the user defined overboost (or rev-limit), it'll act as if you hit the rev-limiter. We vary the intensity based on your actual RPM. As long as the overboost condition is active, we keep activating the shutdown. Obviously, once you hit it the first time, boost will drop. But if you get back on boost and trigger it again, it'll shut it down.
We now interface with the Zeitronix wideband system, which allows you to set complex alarms (ex. Boost over 10psi AND AFR leaner than 12.5)...

Keep in mind, the software has a limp-home or safe mode (below 2800rpm or low-load). So if the triggering mechanism is incorrectly programmed or failed, you can still drive your car. (ex. by mistake you set overboost to 0psi or to vacuum, you can still drive your car as long as you do not exceed 2800rpm or you are a very light engine load).
Old 02-20-2009, 11:02 AM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without the documents, how did you connect the MAP sensor? The docuemnts were emailed to you on 9/30/08 and on 10/03/08..

I thought there was one set of docs that showed how to do the install and then another set that explained the functionality? Can you resend them to me. I thought you sent out hard coppies for this stuff? Getting over 20k emails a week you tend to lose things pretty easy.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:04 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by kasturbo
I thought there was one set of docs that showed how to do the install and then another set that explained the functionality? Can you resend them to me. I thought you sent out hard coppies for this stuff? Getting over 20k emails a week you tend to lose things pretty easy.
Since we have pictures in the documents, we send them as a soft copy! Printing the documents tends to distort the pictures..

If you examine the MAP installation document, it points you to the section in the VitesseR PiggyBack where you set overboost and rev-limit. "Global Setting===>Switch"
Old 02-20-2009, 11:11 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by VOoDOoGTX
have you found E-85 around here?
No closest one to me is about 50 miles away. I'll be taking drives and using it for sure but, im also planning on just ordering a barrel of the stuff.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:11 AM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

John, found the emails and sent them back to you. We'll take this offline.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:31 AM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

John, since I am already logging boost with my Innovate, can I set it up to work the same as with the Zeitronics?
Old 02-20-2009, 11:41 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I'm not sure the innovate has any external alarm triggers. Without a trigger (hi or low), we cannot interface to the V-FLEX. As far as MAP sensor, the one we provide must be used for the V-FLEX as we programmed the DME to understand the characteristics of our sensor.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:22 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

No, it doesn't have an alarm output. Since the Innovate is on the AMP input on the PB, can't the switch in global setting be set for it or is the MAP sensor using that input?
Old 02-20-2009, 12:33 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by kevincnc
No, it doesn't have an alarm output. Since the Innovate is on the AMP input on the PB, can't the switch in global setting be set for it or is the MAP sensor using that input?
Yes you can set a alarm based on the Innovate (or AFR) value, however it makes no sense.
Setting a alarm just on AFR value is useless. You need to set another condition where the AFR can be ruled as good or bad. Ex: 14:1AFR is fine at idle, but no good under boost.. Unless you can join both conditions (AFR & Boost) you get a false alarm. This is why we chose to integrate with the Zeitronix as you can set complex alarms.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:54 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Ok, since there are 4 alarms that can be set on the PB, I thought you could use combinations of them. I guess I don't understand how they work yet.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:34 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by kevincnc
Ok, since there are 4 alarms that can be set on the PB, I thought you could use combinations of them. I guess I don't understand how they work yet.
You can trigger on any of the 4 alarms. When any of the 4 triggers, it goes off..
Did you send you chip/board yet?
Old 02-20-2009, 03:41 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

You can trigger on any of the 4 alarms. When any of the 4 triggers, it goes off..
Did you send you chip/board yet?
Not yet, I'll pull it out this weekend.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:42 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran the sandhiils open road challenge open road race last year with VR stage3 kit with Vflex and wasted spark. Lots left in this setup. Not yet running E85, but we have it local and will this spring find out first hand.

Quick Reply: Any V-flex Feedback from users??