Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Engine Rear Oil Seal

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 03:33 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Rear Oil Seal

I've known I have a leak from my rear oil seal for a while now, and have always considered tackling this issue. I'm thinking I'm going to have to do my oil pan gasket, and I figured since I'm already going nuts I might as well go the whole way.

I'm not able to find a lot of information on how to do this, clarks-garage just has an under construction page up. I wasn't able to find any sort of writeup elsewhere, does anyone have any information on this?
Old 02-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The RMS is basically a clutch job with removing the flywheel, then the RMS. Get new bolts for the flywheel and if you need a clutch, perfect time. If you opt to not do the clutch, get new bolts for the PP.

If you're going to do the oil pan gasket, you should give thought to rod bearings while you're there. Rod bearings and rod nuts are cheap after you've gone to the trouble to drop the crossmember and drop the pan. Get a good engine lift (rent on Friday afternoon and most places don't make you bring it back until Monday), get a buddy, buy beer and pizza.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:47 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well my buddy just left for Sweden for 3 months

I figured I'd just buy the engine support from pelican parts for like $125, is that a bad idea?

Think its possible to do alone?
Old 02-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, engine support is good too, I didn't know Pelican had them.

It can be done alone, you have to find a way to lock the crankshaft when breaking the flywheel bolts, then when you torque them back down.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:56 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

IMHO much easier to pull the whole motor if you are going to do the pan and the rms.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Kit_Chris
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To make sure you don't have to do this job twice, this has been said time and time again but it's critical, tap the RMS until it hits the end of the casing, if it's flush with the engine case (very tempting to think it's good enough) you'll get another leak, which means taking the car apart again. You can use the old seal as a tool to tap the new one all the way in.

Regards,
Chris
Old 02-10-2009, 03:42 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
IMHO much easier to pull the whole motor if you are going to do the pan and the rms.
Yes,
If you are doing just the pan or just the RMS do it in the car. If you are doing both just pull the engine. Sure it alot of work, but then you can take care of alot more stuff.

I have leak that I believe is the pan gasket although it could be the RMS. The clutch is good and the work done not that many miles ago. So I sure hope it is the oil pan gasket. When I do the gasket I will also do the rod bearings and motor mounts.

Quick Reply: Engine Rear Oil Seal