Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Unusually quiet turbo/bypass valve

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 10:08 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Unusually quiet turbo/bypass valve

I'm not really concerned about this, just a bit curious. I was watching 951s on youtube and on every car with a MAF kit you can hear a distinct turbo spool/ bpv release. I have the typical MAF setup with a billet bypass valve and I can just barely hear the onset of boost.

Would a dirty K&N explain this? I haven't replaced the one that the car came with (and it is certainly well used) but have a new one on the way as I'm more worried that a dirty filter isn't doing its job or is an unnessecary restriction.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:25 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike Markota
I'm not really concerned about this, just a bit curious. I was watching 951s on youtube and on every car with a MAF kit you can hear a distinct turbo spool/ bpv release. I have the typical MAF setup with a billet bypass valve and I can just barely hear the onset of boost.

Would a dirty K&N explain this? I haven't replaced the one that the car came with (and it is certainly well used) but have a new one on the way as I'm more worried that a dirty filter isn't doing its job or is an unnessecary restriction.
#1 How high is your boost? the higher the boost the louder the woosh when it is bypassed on pedal lift

#2 Why are you replacing the K&N, they are a lifetime filter only needing to be cleaned, not replaced, K&N sells a "recharge kit" with cleaner and oil for recharging the filter with oil after it has been cleaned...
Old 01-17-2009, 10:26 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
#1 How high is your boost? the higher the boost the louder the woosh when it is bypassed on pedal lift

#2 Why are you replacing the K&N, they are a lifetime filter only needing to be cleaned, not replaced, K&N sells a "recharge kit" with cleaner and oil for recharging the filter with oil after it has been cleaned...
yep
Old 01-17-2009, 10:54 AM
MM951
Race Director

16lbs on a turbonetics 60-1 hifi

I know you can clean a K%N but this one is deformed and I am replacing it for more aesthetics (it looks like crap on top of being dirty)... actually does anyone want the one that is coming off?

Last edited by MM951; 01-17-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:05 AM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you want to have that rice rocket sound mike?
Old 01-17-2009, 11:09 AM
MM951
Race Director

not particularly.. I actually dislike the "pssh" noise but I do like hearing my turbo spool and I am most concerned about an intake restriction.. the question in the OP is does the lack of sound indicate a fairly clogged filter.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:09 AM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFCVNvSIgnY
Old 01-17-2009, 11:14 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

not particularly.. I actually dislike the "pssh" noise but I do like hearing my turbo spool and I am most concerned about an intake restriction.. the question in the OP is does the lack of sound indicate a fairly clogged filter.
clean the damned thing and find out. You don't need to buy the kit. Clean it out. Let it dry, then oil it.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:19 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ehall
clean the damned thing and find out. You don't need to buy the kit. Clean it out. Let it dry, then oil it.
Turn the boost up, you should hear some interesting sounds....
Old 01-17-2009, 11:30 AM
MM951
Race Director

For $43 a new K&N is on the way. I amwell aware of the fact that you can clean K&N filters. My current filter is the only thing in my engine bay that isn't new or doesn't look new. It is crushed on one side and just looks like ***.. to me it is worth $43 just so I'm not focusing on something old and ****ty looking when I pop my hood.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

if it is as dirty as mine was (poored water in it to clean it and it took about 1-2 minutes for the water to drain out), you should get a new one hahah

16 psi, you should hear a decent amount of noise... you little ricer you.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:38 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ian Carr
if it is as dirty as mine was (poored water in it to clean it and it took about 1-2 minutes for the water to drain out), you should get a new one hahah

16 psi, you should hear a decent amount of noise... you little ricer you.
is this 16Psi shown on the gauge? that is only 1.1 Bar = little noise even with a BOV

16Psi above atmospheric bar = 2.1 bar, some noise

dump the recirc valve and go for a BOV and you will receive a pronounced WOOSH at the set boost level, or just swap out the damaged K&N for a new one, and clean the new one every other oil change at least...
Old 01-17-2009, 11:40 AM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
is this 16Psi shown on the gauge? that is only 1.1 Bar = little noise even with a BOV

16Psi above atmospheric bar = 2.1 bar, some noise

dump the recirc valve and go for a BOV and you will receive a pronounced WOOSH at the set boost level, or just swap out the damaged K&N for a new one, and clean the new one every other oil change at least...
I am sure he is talking 16psi above atomo. plus the turbo is fairly big so it moves even more air.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:48 AM
MM951
Race Director

thanks Ian, yes I am talkin about +16psi on a real boost gauge.

I don't get why people think I want the woosh. I already said I don't like that, although I like the sound of turbo spool (NOT the "pssh" "woosh" etc) but that is not my concern here. I was curious if very quiet induction noises in a cone filter are indicative of a clogged/dirty filter.

While it is a pointless question as I am replacing it anyway.. I'm sitting here, bored, at work watching videos of 951s and was curious as to rennlists thoughts on why my car doesn't have anywhere near such a pronounced turbo spool/bpv release when compared to other cars with similar mods (MAF, big turbo, Tial, bpv, etc)
Old 01-17-2009, 11:54 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

thanks Ian, yes I am talkin about +16psi on a real boost gauge.

I don't get why people think I want the woosh. I already said I don't like that, although I like the sound of turbo spool (NOT the "pssh" "woosh" etc) but that is not my concern here. I was curious if very quiet induction noises in a cone filter are indicative of a clogged/dirty filter.

While it is a pointless question as I am replacing it anyway.. I'm sitting here, bored, at work watching videos of 951s and was curious as to rennlists thoughts on why my car doesn't have anywhere near such a pronounced turbo spool/bpv release when compared to other cars with similar mods (MAF, big turbo, Tial, bpv, etc)
Could also be the turbo you are using, if the wheels have been clipped it will make a much more pronounced spooling whine, my TT makes no whine at all, but my 951 has a pronounced spool up whine with the stock airbox installed due to the clipping of the wheels....

I have actually met several people complaining about the cost of replacing their K&N, not knowing they could clean the old one, one of the tools I work with actually threw out his K&N, replaced it with a stock filter, and then was asking why after replacing the dirty old K&N with a stock filter his car didn't run the same....my apologies for jumping to conclusions on that, but I have run into it more than a few times...

Do you get a spoolup whine with the cone filter removed all together? try it in the driveway and see, if you have no whine without the filter installed changing the filter isn't going to give any results...Different turbos make different noises based on their setup...

On another note, you are sitting at work on a Saturday.... Damn I am sorry... But at least you are working...

Quick Reply: Unusually quiet turbo/bypass valve