Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Lot of talking here??...944fest '09

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 02:18 AM
N-Dub
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to have that ***** little thing on my car, till I sold it to Tool for a bigger one
Old 01-09-2009, 03:00 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Did I hear someone mention Nutella?
Old 01-09-2009, 04:11 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
On the topic of a 'fest challenge: the best gauge of real power is a timed 60 - 125 mph run. It takes the driver pretty much out if the equation, it's safe, and you don't have worry about newbies going around a track, and you don't have to worry about comprimising your car with the 1/4 mile.
I know this thread is based on some light-hearted content, but that aside, this would be a true test of real horsepower.
You can make a chassis dyno read whatever you want it to read, and it's more for the broad masses of enthusiasts who get caught up in the propaganda that tells them it's real horsepower.
Case-in-point: 602 rwhp (what's that; about 680 crank horsepower). I think I remember that dyno chart posted some time ago and if I'm not mistaken that power was made at 6,000 rpm. This is the same power peak rpm as a stock turbo S which has 247 crank hp (if you can believe Porsche). If ya get into the physics and math of it all, you can figure out what kind of boost you need to run, and more importantly, the volumetric effciency that has to be achieved to get to 680 hp. Then you realize it's fantasy land.
That being said, I believe ST has his heart in the right place (I would shake his hand and pick his brain), but just caught up in the hype a bit.

Let's see "the physics and math of it all" then... what do you think ST's car should be putting down?

Last edited by vt951; 01-09-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:12 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vt951
Let's see "the physics and math of it all" then... what do you think ST's car should be putting down?

Darn, I was really hoping for a little turbo physics education. Does it really all just come down to air flow (cfm), fuel supply (lph), and redline (rpm), or are there more tricks to it? I can see how there's a lot of art in tuning a setup for a useful power band, but for peak hp are you just trying to maximize air, provide enough fuel for that amount of air, and get the engine to wind as high as you can? I guess what I'm asking is, what is the ST magic that makes his engine put out more than any other 2.5L on here?
Old 01-13-2009, 02:38 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

he does has the special tool..
Old 01-13-2009, 02:44 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Darn, I was really hoping for a little turbo physics education.
Pretty simple really, you tune the system (turbo, cams, exhaust, intake and such) to be as efficient as possible for a certain bandwidth. If you are tuning for a good street car you want 2500 – 5500 rpm, a good track car 3500 – 6500 and for all out dyno power 5500 – 7500.
The higher the Q of the system (the more ‘tuned’ to a particular frequency/speed) the more efficient it is for that speed and the worse it will be outside of the narrow parameter.
Street engines should be tuned for a flat and wide as possible torque curve, race engines operate over a narrow rpm range so you can tune them a little ‘tighter’ and dyno monsters are tuned for a big peak power output at a very narrow rpm range.
ST’s engine is a great example of tuning for a narrow rpm range, it is very successful within that range but not outside of it. Great for a dyno pull but a little tougher at the drags or the track. An engine with a peaky power curve can be difficult to drive fast – lots of traction problems when the power comes on suddenly and not much torque if the rpms drop (but a crap load of fun when its peaking!).
Old 01-13-2009, 03:50 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tool has the correct power tool for the drag strip .........

He just F/U and took his Bonneville setup to the drag strip ..............
Old 01-13-2009, 06:10 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Darn, I was really hoping for a little turbo physics education. Does it really all just come down to air flow (cfm), fuel supply (lph), and redline (rpm), or are there more tricks to it?
Ultimately - yes.

If you want to calculate maximum potential power at a given rpm you only need to know the amount of air for each stroke that the engine can inhale to get close to the correct power number.

That also means that if you have a given power number at a given rpm level at a given boost level for a given engine size - you can reverse calculate the VE needed to obtain that power.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:18 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Duke
If you want to calculate maximum potential power at a given rpm you only need to know the amount of air for each stroke that the engine can inhale to get close to the correct power number.
Originally Posted by Chris White
The higher the Q of the system (the more ‘tuned’ to a particular frequency/speed) the more efficient it is for that speed and the worse it will be outside of the narrow parameter.
The Q and VE stuff is clear as mud, but thanks for your replies anyway. I guess I need to actually read that Corky Bell book (Maximum Boost) I bought years ago, rather than just look at the pictures. Is that a good source for this info?
Old 01-13-2009, 06:33 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

VE education would be best served by doing research on various cylinder head designs and portwork. It isn't just about the amount of air that can be ingested, it is also about the velocity at which the cylinder head can ingest and dispose of the air. Perfect case is the GM LS1, the runner design is tall and narrow to create a high velocity for the runner/valve size. get good headporting book and this will give you some background.

Garrett also has a quick tutorial about turbos on their site.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:55 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944
It isn't just about the amount of air that can be ingested, it is also about the velocity at which the cylinder head can ingest and dispose of the air.
Sort of....higher velocity will increase the amout of air that a cyliner can ingest due to a tuned air column moving at high velocity causing a ram effect. So it is about the amount of air ingested - in fact thats what VE is all about.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:46 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little attempt at the definition we're all trying to make here.

Make a huge hole in the intake runner of the head that say 1000cc can flow through. Not at any speed but it's there. Great. The piston can only ingest say a nice round number. 250cc. So... because it has no problems breathing from 1000cc. It gets the full 250. Take a head with an intake runner that can flow 225cc but with intense speed/velocity effectively ramming more air into the combustion chamber. Up to 260-270. More efficient. Slower moving runner with no speed does not have this effect. One flows 1000cc, another 225cc. Yet the 225cc flowing head works better due to design & Flow.

So... Semantics. Yes, more air, different ways to go about it.

So flow numbers do NOT clearly give the whole picture. Please do not be fooled by larger numbers.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:31 AM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Well, we can just throw some numbers at this, for the hell of it:

HP = torque times rpm divided by a constant
So, let's say we compare a stock turbo S (247 hp) and St's 680 hp.
They both make their peak hp at the same rpm and the constant (5252) is obviously the same, so we can forget those two numbers, and focus on the torque figure.
According to the hp differences between the two cars, ST's engine would need about 2.75 times the torque than the stock turbo S.
Basically, the torque generated on a turbo engine comes from absolute intake manifold density and the volumetric efficiency at that RPM.
Let's assume the stock engine has a VE of 80% (I'd say it's close, but experts can chime in if it's off too much). Maybe ST's engine has achieved 90% at that RPM; that's a 12.5% increase (it's alot, but possible, I suppose). That still leaves almost 2.5 times the absolute intake manifold density that needs to be achieved (which comes from boost, and the cooling of that boost)
Absolute intake manifold pressure on a stock turbo S is about 14.7 + 9 psi = 23.7 psi
St's engine would need an absolute manifold pressure of about 23.7 x 2.5 = 59.2 psi.
Therefore boost pressure would be 59.2 - 14.7 = 44.5 psi

So, if ST's engine is running in the low 40's boost, at sea level, at 6,000 rpm, with great volumetric efficiency, with intercooling that can take the intake temps down close to stock levels, then I'd say that power is possible.

Other opinions would be great to tell me where I'm off.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:45 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Paging Mr Tool, Mr Tool??
Old 01-14-2009, 12:47 AM
N-Dub
Racer

I like Tool.. He just builds and lights a fire then relaxes and enjoys it.. Something about watching the flames of a fire, it never gets old...

Quick Reply: Lot of talking here??...944fest '09