Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Phase two of my project - turbo swap pictorial

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 06:50 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the information! I am hopeful that mine will fit too! I think it will, but not positive. I guess I only need to put in the Nissan alternator and I should be good to go.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:26 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Just read the thread. Great job!!
Old 01-02-2013, 09:36 PM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Techno, what front splitter are you running?
Old 01-02-2013, 10:53 PM
numbskull
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Really nice writeup on this job! Funny that I constructed the almost exact shield on the air filter to keep water from dripping down the hood into the air filter. For now it is removeable, in the trunk until it rains. Like what you did on the turbo oil line.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:43 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fast924S
Techno, what front splitter are you running?
It is the AIR splitter. Been on the car almost 20k miles and survived 3 winters including driving home in two blizzards on my fairly low car. It is being replaced with one by Joe Toth when the car is back on the road in the spring.

If you wanted, you an have my old AIR for cheap, just come and pick it up on Long Island. It is presentable but will need some fiberglass work to be perfect. It is all one piece but has one crack and a bunch of chips on the leading edge. Amazingly enough it help up fine over the winter but not to me accidentally backing up over some wheel chocks I forgot about...

Really glad you guys appreciate these threads, not sure if there will be anymore as the car no longer has the turbo engine anymore. Besides, I think I covered all the big DIY jobs! Maybe a rear suspension one in the future but ill likely pay a shop to do that!
Old 02-17-2013, 07:30 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You know whats great, using the DIY to install the same turbo!

Thanks again Techno!
Old 02-17-2013, 08:16 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Awesome Doug! Hope it all goes smoothly.

Any plans to make Hershey this year? Would love to see how far the car has come since i saw it at 944Fest a few year ago. Its possible i may make it in my 951, the first time in like 4 years .

BTW, not sure what turbo your coming from but if it was stock you will love the 60-1. 3rd gear pulls @ 17psi were scary
Old 02-17-2013, 09:04 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sadly Hershey is right in the middle of my peak work season.

I will be coming from the stock 26/6, so this should be a big jump on the Fun-o-meter!
Old 02-08-2015, 09:08 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Josh B
Hey Jon,

On my turbo that I got from reno0808 someone had welded the nuts onto the hotside for the crossover pipe. Made it a lot easier to attach.
Doing this job right now. THIS is a good piece of intel! I'm going to have my neighbor do that on mine.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:50 PM
nitehawk951
Rennlist Member

Techno duck, I'm in the middle of this job myself. Those turbo mounting bolts are killing me!!! I will try to wake up the bolts the way that you did again today. I have not stripped either bolt yet. Is there any other advice for waking up those bolts? It feels like they're now one with the turbo. Any help would be very much appreciated. I'm so close, I don't want to mess up and definitely don't want to give up either.

Thanks
Old 03-11-2016, 07:10 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by nitehawk951
Techno duck, I'm in the middle of this job myself. Those turbo mounting bolts are killing me!!! I will try to wake up the bolts the way that you did again today. I have not stripped either bolt yet. Is there any other advice for waking up those bolts? It feels like they're now one with the turbo. Any help would be very much appreciated. I'm so close, I don't want to mess up and definitely don't want to give up either.

Thanks
There really isn't be careful and pull like hell and don't use anything that ratchets. Try to use a 6 sided box end if possible. Good luck. Everyone on this thread has BTDT, so we're here for you if you want to vent!
Old 03-11-2016, 09:09 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by nitehawk951

Thanks
Your talking about the allen head bolts right? Its been a long time since ive done this but you need to move the steering rack and i think you have a relatively straight shot at the allen heads. Use a long enough extensions and you should be able to give them a few solid hits with a hammer. For the steering rack, you can just disconnect the steering shaft and take the mounting clamps off. Then pop the rack out of the crossmember and let it hang. You can also apply heat to the part of the turbo where the bolts thread into aswell. Just be absolutely sure your seated squarely in the allen head before applying torque. If you do end up stripping them you can drill the head off the allen head in a few minutes, then pull the turbo out. Once the turbo is on a bench you can use a pair of vice grips to get the rest of the stud out.

I am out of town until the end of the month, if you can wait until then i can lend you a hand. Where in SD are you?
Old 03-11-2016, 09:36 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Oh the turbo allens? Yeah he's right. That's the best way. Get the extensions set up with the proper allen and put it into place on the bolt. Push it up as hard as you can and then bang the **** out of the end of the extension with a hammer. Hit it as hard as you can a few times, then try to turn it. Rinse and repeat. I went through the exact same thing. I recommend beer!
Old 03-11-2016, 11:01 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
There really isn't be careful and pull like hell and don't use anything that ratchets. Try to use a 6 sided box end if possible. Good luck. Everyone on this thread has BTDT, so we're here for you if you want to vent!

Also... On most turbos, you can spray a little penetrating oil (PB Blaster or whatever) on the top end of those bolts where they poke up through the mount. Gravity then helps get the oil down into the threads. Also, as with any easily stripped bolt, the key it so keep the tool totally straight and fully seated in the bolt head. Loosening the steering rack helps you get a straighter shot as Duck says. Also, I'm a big fan of using over-sized tools (1/2" ratchet or breaker bar for example) because once you start straining on a little wrench to break the bolt free, you are at much greater risk of putting an unintentional angle on the tool, which is the usually the root cause of stripped bolts and bloody knuckles. With a big breaker bar, set straight on with the bolts, you can stay more controlled and straight as you try to break the bolt free.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:47 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn

Also... On most turbos, you can spray a little penetrating oil (PB Blaster or whatever) on the top end of those bolts where they poke up through the mount. Gravity then helps get the oil down into the threads. Also, as with any easily stripped bolt, the key it so keep the tool totally straight and fully seated in the bolt head. Loosening the steering rack helps you get a straighter shot as Duck says. Also, I'm a big fan of using over-sized tools (1/2" ratchet or breaker bar for example) because once you start straining on a little wrench to break the bolt free, you are at much greater risk of putting an unintentional angle on the tool, which is the usually the root cause of stripped bolts and bloody knuckles. With a big breaker bar, set straight on with the bolts, you can stay more controlled and straight as you try to break the bolt free.
Just to add to all the rest
When I am using the star or allen heads I am pushing as hard on the tool as I am on twisting... That is key to make sure that that tool is seated completely
Along with with Tom and others say regarding the angle by loosening the steering rack to get a better angle
Good luck

Quick Reply: Phase two of my project - turbo swap pictorial