Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

E-85 MEGA THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 11:19 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to be slightly rich with ethanol is not a horsepower killer like gas. So why run close to lean when you can be a little rich with no power penalty?

Methanol is even more ridiculous. Go pig rich. Same power level. Crazy stuff. I love it.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:52 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alright, so my interest is definitely peaked. Just a few, maybe stupid questions. So I need :

-new fuel lines, FPR, Injectors...& pump, maybe? What size/type FPR, Injectors? Although I am switching to Vitesse, I currently have APE chips/MAF...does this matter? And if so what would the remedy, other than the obvious abandonment, be?

Thanks for any insight.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:12 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

the cheatrs way is a resistor in your air temp sender or a pot sold as magic power ajuster on ebay this should give more fuel and ignition depending map also the most aggressive of FQR switch setting
Old 11-11-2008, 12:31 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cheaters way, you say? then cheat I shall.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:45 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

you might not get the full 15% power increase but you might get 8% and you will probably still be close to tune when you put half a tank of 95 in with half a tank of e85 .
the consisis is that E85 is more forgiving than petrol so if your a bit off you will not loose heaps of power or melt a piston as easily
Old 11-11-2008, 01:17 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CPR
Alright, so my interest is definitely peaked. Just a few, maybe stupid questions. So I need :

-new fuel lines, FPR, Injectors...& pump, maybe? What size/type FPR, Injectors? Although I am switching to Vitesse, I currently have APE chips/MAF...does this matter? And if so what would the remedy, other than the obvious abandonment, be?

Thanks for any insight.
to keep it serious

new lines..only if yours are old
fpr ..I like adjustable
pump..not needed IMO.. I'm still using the stocker
injectors..how much power??

As far as tuning equipment, it is really preference and trust thing. I'll keep the vendors out of it, as I have yet to see any real data from any of them regarding E85.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:32 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

"Hey everybody, it's X-mas soon and Uncle Sid is spreading his cheer"
Old 11-11-2008, 10:13 AM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by blown 944
to keep it serious

new lines..only if yours are old
fpr ..I like adjustable
pump..not needed IMO.. I'm still using the stocker
injectors..how much power??

As far as tuning equipment, it is really preference and trust thing. I'll keep the vendors out of it, as I have yet to see any real data from any of them regarding E85.
+1

I have been running E85 for months with very little vendor equipment. Not because I don't trust them, it's mostly because of a limited budget and the preference to do as much myself as possible.

I run 86# injectors with a link MAP, and fairly new fuel lines all of which I already had installed a year before switching to E85. To make the switch to E85 seriously the ONLY change I made from this point was to drive my car a few miles after the low fuel light came on, drive up to an E85 pump and fill the tank. Before I started the car I turned my base fuel map up 20%. As I drove down the road I gradually made the adjustments I needed to get a decent AFR.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:17 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
"Hey everybody, it's X-mas soon and Uncle Sid is spreading his cheer"
Ha .. no just keeping it real

I will go on record to say that within a few years that anyone that is looking for big power and drives their car on the street will most likely be using E85. Maybe even full on track cars depending on the legality.

All the talk of mixing (X) fuel with (E) fuel,sensors to make sure what you are using, blah..blah.. blah..... will be looked apon in the same manor as the idea of needing to keep the cycling valve.

If you don't know what fuel you have in the tank and are looking to boost it then really you should not be fooling with it anyway.

I took some time last night and looked back at E85 and the posts containing it and found that only a few embraced it early on and there was a ton of mis-information being spread.

Just keep and open mind and an eye on the wideband and all is good.

Personally I can see a lot of big Horsepower on the horizon coming out of these cars.

Now, what needs to happen, is to keep it a secret from the rear pushers
Old 11-12-2008, 02:16 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jlturpin
That bad bod is like $400 dollars, great idea and I thought about it until I did my first search and saw the price.
GM has been pumping out lots of Flex Fuel vehicles in the past few years. It won't be long till junkyards are littered with these, probably no more than $20/ea from a pick-n-pull.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:30 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CPR: with vitesse you will have no problem using the e-85..
Old 11-12-2008, 02:34 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

How realistic would it be to fit one of these Fuel sensors? My feeling is that you should be able to make them work with a standalone?
What do we think of that plug and play unit shown here? http://flexfuelus.com/
Is this a pipedream bit of snakeoil? It's not cheap but if it worked it would solve the issue of mixing fuels due to lack of availability of E85.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:40 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

you would have to configure a fuel quality switch or input in your standalone any how I think i will just do that then set the switch according to how i mix .as long as i have a bit of safty margin should be sweet . we just need to understand how it tests the fuel .
Old 11-12-2008, 06:01 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Yes I was wondering how it reads the octane and how reliable the sensor actually is? Sid is pretty convinced that there is a decent margin for error with E85 so that is good. I put about 30% E85 in a tank then filled with 98oct pump (Aussie) and immediately the afrs went lean. I figured that it went lean because at that point I hadn't increased the fuel. So with the SMT6 you can just go in and change cells and richen it up where you want. Pretty cool. To be honest I didn't really notice the difference, but I was only running 20psi. I believe that you probably have to push over +/- 24psi to really notice the difference.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:31 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

SMT6 Vetesse Link WTF ????? you have got alot of tuning stuff on that car I bet you have an EBC a Widand O2 thermocouples water injection .
what about the fuel quality switch the most obvius ajuster that gives some timing I guess you could put an extra 4psi in as its easier to turn that **** than the FQ switch .
custom chips are pretty cheap realy if you have a DME it would make alot of senne to just make the FQ switch more effective so it makes bigger changes .
also put more air tem compensation in the map and put a pot in the air temp line to play with.
tragic that i have 3 standalone efi's I want to play with DME

Quick Reply: E-85 MEGA THREAD