Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

2.8 Big Bore Project (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 02:06 PM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^I've been reading older threads on Oil and there are so many different opinions. I think I'll just stick with redline. What do you use Patrick?
Old 10-15-2008, 05:27 PM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by spoolin51
^I've been reading older threads on Oil and there are so many different opinions. I think I'll just stick with redline. What do you use Patrick?
There are threads on this, but I have been hearing good things from many about Royal Purple. No need for ZDDP additives I'm told. Their XPR 20w50 was recommended for track use; the XPR 10w40 for the street. It is a synthetic, so bad seals may be more evident.

Mike Lindsey recommends Gibbs Racing oils as they have the ZDDP our cars need. Many also talk of going back to dino oils as they believe they are less prone to leaking of worn seals. There are MANY opinions on this.

The universal opinion seems to be NOT to use Mobil 1 anymore for the older flat tappet cars like mine. I'm switching to Royal Purple and we'll see what happens.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:14 AM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

^ Awesome keep us posted on the Purple!!
Old 10-16-2008, 05:51 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Yeah it's like starting a conversation on religion or politics, or worse, sport. 20w/50 is applicable down to minus 10 degrees according to the Porsche owners manual. We use 25w/60 for the track. Just don't fall for the fully synthetic 0w/40 craptrap. ZDDP is what to look for, additive or not.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:46 AM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

OK and now a Technical question:
New block is from: 89 turbo

Old block is : 86 turbo

Will the balance shafts interchange between the two?
I want to use my old balance shafts on my new block.
New block only has balance housing.

I am using a 968 Oil pan on the new 89 block. I was told I need to change the Oil pickup tube? ( The 86 is supposed to have a larger diameter. I believe it's 3" and the newer blocks have 2.5" )

Do I need to be aware of anything else that may not interchange between the 2 blocks?

Just trying to prepare for any problems I may be overlooking.

I am posting pictures of the block.....as you can see it is bare.

Thanks
Attached Images  
Old 10-17-2008, 02:56 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Will the balance shafts interchange between the two? Yes

I am using a 968 Oil pan on the new 89 block. I was told I need to change the Oil pickup tube? ( The 86 is supposed to have a larger diameter. I believe it's 3" and the newer blocks have 2.5" ) The pickup tube needs to match the pan. There are two styles, with the difference being visible at the bottom of the pan.The earlier pans have uninterupted cooling fins along the pan's bottom. The later pan has a lowered pickup location, where the fins are interupted by the lowered pickup location, it will be evident by a circle in the casting that interups the cooing fins.

Do I need to be aware of anything else that may not interchange between the 2 blocks? Oil Pressure regulator is not intercangable between the 86 and 87+ blocks.

Thanks
Old 10-18-2008, 05:32 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Yeah it's like starting a conversation on religion or politics, or worse, sport. 20w/50 is applicable down to minus 10 degrees according to the Porsche owners manual. We use 25w/60 for the track. Just don't fall for the fully synthetic 0w/40 craptrap. ZDDP is what to look for, additive or not.
So for occasional track use + daily what would be best. I have always used 20w50 Mobil 1.

After reading this thread it has me second guessing. Also winters up here are alot different than back home. I think we get into the single digits at times. What would you guys officially recommend?
Old 10-18-2008, 07:18 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Well it's not me that's recommending them, it's the Porsche owner's manual. If you still have yours check it out John. They say that even down to -10 below that 20w/50 is recommended in mineral oils. There's too much evidence that M1 is not the right brand for us or many older Porsches. Even up to the 996 the handbook still recommends a 20w/50 mineral which surprised us. There is plenty of in the field evidence about wear in our motors due to too thin oil without ZDDPs. Search the 993/996 threads under Charles Navaro (sp?). 20w/50 is good but not sure about the M1 brand for us.
Oil is there not only to provide lubrication, it is also there to act as a suspension film between the moving parts. You will find people pushing the M1 fully synth bandwagon, but this is not meant for our cars.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:23 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Well it's not me that's recommending them, it's the Porsche owner's manual. If you still have yours check it out John. They say that even down to -10 below that 20w/50 is recommended in mineral oils. There's too much evidence that M1 is not the right brand for us or many older Porsches. Even up to the 996 the handbook still recommends a 20w/50 mineral which surprised us. There is plenty of in the field evidence about wear in our motors due to too thin oil without ZDDPs. Search the 993/996 threads under Charles Navaro (sp?). 20w/50 is good but not sure about the M1 brand for us.
Oil is there not only to provide lubrication, it is also there to act as a suspension film between the moving parts. You will find people pushing the M1 fully synth bandwagon, but this is not meant for our cars.
thanks for the info. I'll do the search
Old 10-18-2008, 10:01 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
So for occasional track use + daily what would be best. I have always used 20w50 Mobil 1.

After reading this thread it has me second guessing. Also winters up here are alot different than back home. I think we get into the single digits at times. What would you guys officially recommend?
FWIW in winter I use 15-40 and 20w-50 the rest of the year. It can get pretty cold and I have noticed with 20w-50 oil pressure doesn't build up as fast and the engine feels too "tight"
Old 10-18-2008, 11:49 AM
DanR
Drifting

its funnny because my engine builder told me to use M1 15/50! Considering a change to 20/50 next oil change!
Old 10-18-2008, 12:29 PM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo

I am using a 968 Oil pan on the new 89 block. I was told I need to change the Oil pickup tube? ( The 86 is supposed to have a larger diameter. I believe it's 3" and the newer blocks have 2.5" ) The pickup tube needs to match the pan. There are two styles, with the difference being visible at the bottom of the pan.The earlier pans have uninterupted cooling fins along the pan's bottom. The later pan has a lowered pickup location, where the fins are interupted by the lowered pickup location, it will be evident by a circle in the casting that interups the cooing fins.

Do I need to be aware of anything else that may not interchange between the 2 blocks? Oil Pressure regulator is not intercangable between the 86 and 87+ blocks.

Thanks
If you are tracking the car have he pan baffled to help prevent oil starvation in left hand turns. The motor is tilted, as you know, so oil sloshes up the side of the pan under left hand G's. Do what you can to make sure the oil pick up is always wet. If you have the dough, now would be the time to consider a dry sump, or perhaps an Accusump. Only if it going to see a fair amount of track time though... That pretty block needs to stay that way!
Old 10-18-2008, 01:29 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

"The pickup tube needs to match the pan. There are two styles, with the difference being visible at the bottom of the pan.The earlier pans have uninterupted cooling fins along the pan's bottom. The later pan has a lowered pickup location, where the fins are interupted by the lowered pickup location, it will be evident by a circle in the casting that interups the cooing fins."

First I heard of this although it makes sense..

I used my 87 oil pan (late) with an 86 block. I don't recall if I swapped the oil pickup between the blocks, would I have immediate problems or is it a problem only if tracking?
Old 10-18-2008, 04:02 PM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by fortysixandtwo:

Thanks
Thank you for the information. I called the Porsche dealer today and they told me the 86 and 89 oil pressure regualtor are the same, he double checked and confirmed same part number for both.
I will check with another dealer.

Originally posted by rickamurphy:
If you are tracking the car have he pan baffled to help prevent oil starvation in left hand turns. The motor is tilted, as you know, so oil sloshes up the side of the pan under left hand G's. Do what you can to make sure the oil pick up is always wet. If you have the dough, now would be the time to consider a dry sump, or perhaps an Accusump. Only if it going to see a fair amount of track time though... That pretty block needs to stay that way!
Rick, I did purchase a oil baffle for this setup. The crank is currently getting cross drilled, plugged, and balanced to help with lubrication. I am also thinking to invest into another oil cooler. Would you recommend this?
Old 10-22-2008, 03:43 PM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

Ok guys I need some advise, trying to spend my money wisely.
With 400$ I can either:

Medium Lighten my crankshaft. (Which shaves about 3-4 lbs. I already have an aluminum flywheel and a lightened clutch)
or
Buy an extra oil cooler.

Which would you recommend?

PS the crank has already been "Perp/cross drilled"

Quick Reply: 2.8 Big Bore Project (with pics)