Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

"Ignorant" brake fluid ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 11:20 PM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Ignorant" brake fluid ?

I need to add brake fluid due to leak (which has been found! YEEEHA) can I use any dot 3 or 4 fluid? Clark's mentions that you shouldn't mix. I don't now what the P-shop used....how critical is this?
Thanks guys!
Old 09-20-2008, 11:23 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You're going to have to bleed the system anyway. May as well push it all out and refill/bleed.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:08 AM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

that's not what I wanted to hear...
Old 09-21-2008, 12:12 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

What we want to hear and what we need to hear are hardly ever the same.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:15 PM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

...as always, just a touch profound, but oh so true. Looks like I get a new tool for the garage...Motive "Power Bleeder".
Old 09-21-2008, 07:33 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for street duty you could get away with mixing, but as Ehall brings up, this would be a fine time to flush with fresh fluid, and maybe a better fluid as well at least an ATE blue/gold. You will be glad you did for DE/track use
Old 09-21-2008, 11:42 PM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had no choice but to mix DOT3 and DOT4 at the track, and it worked out fine for four sessions, then started to get soft, but also, I was burning the fluid in the calipers (even with extra ducting for brake cooling). I had Pagid orange pads and was way too hard on the brakes trying to get the most out of my straight speeds. I now have a Motive bleeder and ATE Super Blue. Tip: I found the best price for a Motive bleeder on Amazon. Quite a bit cheaper than buying direct from Motive. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:06 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

paragon-products is also a good place to buy one.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:09 PM
2bridges
Drifting

apex performance

http://www.apexperformance.net/
- Rennlist member discount, best price I found.

LOVE apex performance!

Many transactions and thousands $$ with them and Jamie and Linda are awsome!
My first choice for race equipment
Old 09-22-2008, 01:46 PM
LFA951
Drifting

I use the Valvoline Brake fluid in a beige bottle
Old 09-22-2008, 05:31 PM
blodstrupmoen
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fluidplay
...as always, just a touch profound, but oh so true. Looks like I get a new tool for the garage...Motive "Power Bleeder".
Best tool you ever buy ..
Old 09-22-2008, 07:35 PM
jmj951
Pro

Default HELP PLEASE

HELP. I finally had time to use my own new Motive bleeder last night, after replacing my front rotors and replacing the rubber brake lines with braided SS lines. It didn't go well, car is still on jack stands, I need help. It's my fault. I use spacers on the front and my normal routine for torqueing them down is to have my wife hold the brake while I torque. It was about 2am as I'm trying to finish this up and I forgot that I had leaked out a bunch of brake fluid when replacing the brake lines and hadn't yet refilled it. The pedal went straight to the floor, but my wife didn't stop there, she pumped the brake a few more times for good measure. Something is really screwed up now. I power-bled both sides of all calipers and can't get any air out of them, but the pedal is still VERY soft, not even safe to drive. What did I do to it? (I have used a Motive bleeder twice before and had no problems, but obviously something is different this time). Do I need to bleed the clutch cylinder now, or somehow bleed the brake master cylinder (and if so, how)?
Old 09-23-2008, 12:59 AM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

Sounds like you either got air in the line from an empty reservoir or something wasn't closed...
I'm sure you looked for fluid somewhere so I would suspect air in the lines. Go back to step 1...fill the reservoir and start with the right rear and re-bleed the lines. Sorry to hear that.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:20 PM
jmj951
Pro

Originally Posted by Fluidplay
Sounds like you either got air in the line from an empty reservoir or something wasn't closed...
I'm sure you looked for fluid somewhere so I would suspect air in the lines. Go back to step 1...fill the reservoir and start with the right rear and re-bleed the lines. Sorry to hear that.
The insides of both front calipers were the culprit, probably due to unusual pockets of air as a result of changing the brake lines - the rears are not a problem because the location of the rubber brake line is basically above the caliper, but with the fronts, you end up draining quite a bit of the calipers when the brake line is disconnected. I bled them twice on Sunday, all wheels in the right order and outside-to-in, but no luck. There's something about sitting for a few days that brought the air up to the top of the caliper and let it bleed out. I guess I need to get a rubber mallet so I can smack the air loose. I spent an hour Sunday trying to knock this out. Spent ten minutes this morning and it was done. Pedal is rock hard! Love it! SS-braided lines and ATE super blue, with Pagid pads on Cryogenics slotted rotors. Now if we can only train the driver to brake properly...
Old 09-24-2008, 07:59 AM
sawood12
Racer

When I installed my Big Black kit and SS hoses and used an 'easy bleed' kit (that attaches to your spare wheel valve) I found that once the old fluid had been purged and no visible air bubbles were in the line, if I hit the caliper with my fist a few times i'd get very tiny air bubbles. I repeated this process many times and the air kept on coming. Bleeding these things is definately a PITA. Maybe bleeding by the old fashioned manual two-person method is the way to go. It could be that these air-driven bleed kits are introducing air into the system as you bleed.

Do left had drive cars share the same hydraulic system with the clutch? If so shouldn't you have to bleed the clutch at the same time?

Quick Reply: "Ignorant" brake fluid ?