Interest Gauging S2 / 951 foglight delete brake ducts

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 06:51 AM
951rs
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interest Gauging S2 / 951 foglight delete brake ducts

Hi all

In some e-mails exchanged with friends from the 951 community we were asked if we could develop a pair of brake ducts for the S2 / 951 replacing the heavy foglight units and providing more fresh cold air directly to the brakes...

Are the friends contacting us the only ones interested in such an upgrade or are there more, what about rennlisters?

We could develop such an upgrade until end of september.

I would suggest a version which bolts-in directly into the original location of the OEM foglights and also is attached at the same points, no additional drilling required...

here's a basic version from a french Cup car:

I don't want to build a replica of this one but go a step further and design a 993 GT2 style air intake which perfectly bolts in the 951 foglight area, intake are would look as below:

The price for a pair of these in high-quality would be approx. 160 euros.

Interest(ed)?

Cheers

beni
Old 08-31-2008, 05:08 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Interested
Old 08-31-2008, 05:14 PM
krazE
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$160 euros? about $300? plus the cost of paint...

They look fiberglass...

There are plenty of people who can make a mold and replicate that... or simply just make a custom one... Another option to make a mold is use the factory foglight and create that hole...
Old 08-31-2008, 05:15 PM
krazE
Advanced

Another thing, I don't think they look appealing compared to the OEM foglights.

I suppose better suited for the track/race cars.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:18 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Expensive
Old 08-31-2008, 05:26 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Guys,
Beni just wants to know if there is enough interest to produce these.

Beni, for me, this wouldn't be something that I would want unless I was racing. There are a couple of U.S. makers of these, that are probably less expensive due to exchange rate and shipping. That could make producing this product, for U.S. buyers, not very profitable.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:43 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a set of AIR ducts I was trying to sell for sometime with the ducting and mounts for $100, and I couldn't sell them. As much as I personally like them, I don't think there's a market for them.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:45 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i would like to see something that mods in behind the OE foglight hole in the bumper. So when you remove the foglight assy, the duct is there and functional, but you can reinstall the fog light when you are done at the track. That would be truely trick!
Old 09-01-2008, 04:30 AM
951rs
Former Vendor

Hi all

krazE and Cyrus951:

160 euros are 233 US$, not 300 !

As mentioned in the starter post I do not intend to create a replica of the red item but develop a product which replicates the brake duct shape of the 993 GT2.
The red one we could do for 100 dollars per pair...not a big job at all.

Such products like the GT2 ones made from FRP in germany start from 160 euros upwards so I don't think that for a good quality item the price may be considered as expensive.

And yes, I agree, this mod only makes sense for trackday or racing cars...a street car will never need additional air as the limiting factor for braking performance on road is the tyre which in most cases does not reach the ideal operational temperature...

ehall, what manufacturers are there in the US?

Spidey944...yes, that's what I tried to express:

"which bolts-in directly into the original location of the OEM foglights and also is attached at the same points, no additional drilling require"

So, all in all, there is not much interest on rennlist as far as I can see...

Cheers

Beni
Old 09-01-2008, 05:19 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Quality usually is a little bit more expensive. I am sure these ducts will be as high quality as headlight buckets are. I have seen AIR ducts and in my opinion they are poor quality, does not fit properly and does not look good. Fitment is the main issue here. AIR duct is just a plain GF plate without an edge inwards to bumber. That makes them cheap and easy to fabricate. More edges/curves means more complicated mold and also more complicated fabricating process = higher price. For good looking quality product at least i am ready to pay 160€, i have done quite a lot GF work, so i know how messy and time consuming it can be. All D9 products i have bought have been #1 quality items

And yes, I agree, this mod only makes sense for trackday or racing cars...a street car will never need additional air as the limiting factor for braking performance on road is the tyre which in most cases does not reach the ideal operational temperature
Since i have D9 GTS light buckets, i do not need foglights anylonger. I fabricated ducts for my car just for looks, i suppose my GT2 6-piston calipers can handle it without extra cool air It was just cheaper to fabricate ducts than buy new sets of foglights

Last edited by Olli Snellman; 09-01-2008 at 05:44 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:20 AM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts

I would be interested in a pair. You may want to cross post to the racing forum. Also post to the forum on www.44cup.com
Old 09-01-2008, 10:08 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 951rs
"which bolts-in directly into the original location of the OEM foglights and also is attached at the same points, no additional drilling require"
"No additional drilling", except for having to cut a hole through the bumper cover inside the fog light recess, correct?
Old 09-01-2008, 01:35 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 493 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
...I have seen AIR ducts and in my opinion they are poor quality, does not fit properly and does not look good. Fitment is the main issue here. AIR duct is just a plain GF plate without an edge inwards to bumber. That makes them cheap and easy to fabricate...
A pic from AIR's site:

They're currently charging $150.

Karl.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:43 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Beside the French Turbo Cup duct AIR version is simple to fabricate. Duct like that is not cheap for $150. Right price for it is max $100.

except for having to cut a hole through the bumper cover inside the fog light recess, correct?
Of course, otherwise ducts won't be functional. There is a small hole inside the bumber, but it is not big enough.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:02 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

I have always liked the look on that French Cup Car, and not so much the AIR version. I would rather see a foglight blank myself to just fill the foglight opening and attach to the factory points, and if someone wanted to they could drill the hole themselves to make it a duct.

Quick Reply: Interest Gauging S2 / 951 foglight delete brake ducts