Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Torsion bar delete/cantilever arm question

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 05:10 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Torsion bar delete/cantilever arm question

Am I correct in assuming that if the torsion bars are removed, that the cantilever arms serve no useful purpose and can be removed from the torsion bar housing?
Old 07-11-2008, 05:19 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Jim

cantilever arm??? Only thing I can think of -is you talking about the spring plates (locates the trailing arms to the cross member) and those can't be removed unless you have designed something else to locate the trailing arm
Old 07-11-2008, 05:27 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2bridges
Hey Jim

cantilever arm??? Only thing I can think of -is you talking about the spring plates (locates the trailing arms to the cross member) and those can't be removed unless you have designed something else to locate the trailing arm
This thing here. I thought it was called the cantilever arm but I could be wrong. Whatever it's called, it seems as though once the torsion bars are removed that it no longer serves a function. I know the Kokeln rear suspension assembly doesn't have anything like this on it, so I am thinking it can be removed from the stock unit during a torsion bar delete?
Attached Images  
Old 07-11-2008, 06:19 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah good thought- i guess you wouldnt really need those anymore although i still have them after my torsion delete.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Kevin M
Instructor

When you cut out the arm from each side, you save an additional 4ish pounds. Mine are gone, no issues.
Kevin
Old 07-11-2008, 09:15 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The kokeln unit does not use them, so I dont have them, no issues.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:21 PM
2bridges
Drifting

pic say it all.
without the "torsion" resistance on the cross member there would be no need for those

cantilever arm......... sounds good to me
Old 07-11-2008, 09:50 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When you guys pull the torsion bars, are you reinforcing anything or upgrading any of the bushings? All the track cars I maintain have to have the torsion bars per club rules (so my experience with pulling them and the results is nill), but I am thinking of yanking them in my track car since I don't race PCA (obviously going full coilover). I do have a car that we only run 10mm bars in, so I have to believe that without them isn't going to affect it that much...probably want to upgrade to at least some delrin bushings though? I am too lazy to search, sorry.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:18 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
When you guys pull the torsion bars, are you reinforcing anything or upgrading any of the bushings? All the track cars I maintain have to have the torsion bars per club rules (so my experience with pulling them and the results is nill), but I am thinking of yanking them in my track car since I don't race PCA (obviously going full coilover). I do have a car that we only run 10mm bars in, so I have to believe that without them isn't going to affect it that much...probably want to upgrade to at least some delrin bushings though? I am too lazy to search, sorry.
I pulled my TBs a couple years ago. No reinforcement other than the Racer's Edge lower shock mounts. Upgraded the bushings.

That PCA rule is dumb. Turn them down, shave the splines, or pull them out... what's the difference?
Old 08-29-2012, 02:33 AM
968CS_HKG
Intermediate

I have too running without torsion bar with a set of recently installed Intrax RSA from Lindsey Racing. The car is sitting at the right height but I run into problem not able to adjust proper camber or toe. The minimum camber the mechanic could get is -2.5 but with crazy amount of toe, but when he adjust for the correct toe, the camber with go -4.0. Tried to adjust the ride height using the eccentric in the spring plate, the axle only move for a few mm. Is this to do with the removal of the torsion bar?? Or is there something we have missed?? Thanks for your help!!
Old 08-29-2012, 10:37 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shiners780
I pulled my TBs a couple years ago. No reinforcement other than the Racer's Edge lower shock mounts. Upgraded the bushings.

That PCA rule is dumb. Turn them down, shave the splines, or pull them out... what's the difference?
If you are tracking the car, it makes good sence to look into the Elephant poly bronze springplate bushings. The rubber on the springplates gets old and out of round, and is the only attachment point to the tube, without T-bars, as I recall. I removed mine some years back, from my old 86, and ran with the stock springplates, but I didn't track the car. YMMV
Old 08-29-2012, 10:51 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shiners780
Am I correct in assuming that if the torsion bars are removed, that the cantilever arms serve no useful purpose and can be removed from the torsion bar housing?
The answer is: Yes. The arms are no longer serve a purpose.

Bushings: You need to get the torsion bar carrier solidly mounted to the chassis. This is done at two points on each side.

Also, you need to get spring plate bushings (Weltmeister, or Delrin, or Elephant Racing's bushings... anything other than stock) and rear control arm bushings as well .

TonyG
Old 08-30-2012, 12:11 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by 968CS_HKG
I have too running without torsion bar with a set of recently installed Intrax RSA from Lindsey Racing. The car is sitting at the right height but I run into problem not able to adjust proper camber or toe. The minimum camber the mechanic could get is -2.5 but with crazy amount of toe, but when he adjust for the correct toe, the camber with go -4.0. Tried to adjust the ride height using the eccentric in the spring plate, the axle only move for a few mm. Is this to do with the removal of the torsion bar?? Or is there something we have missed?? Thanks for your help!!
You adjust one, the others get affected. The same bolts that hold camber are the same bolts that hold toe. Its hard to adjust both camber and toe at the same time. But that is what you have to do to align these buggers. Hes still moving he camber when he tried to adjust toe. You can't lock down one without having a hard time keeping the other. This is one of many reasons I made a whole new subframe with adjustable rod ends for my car.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:48 AM
968CS_HKG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 95ONE
....I made a whole new subframe with adjustable rod ends for my car.
Yes, it is an experience to align the rear end of the 968. We found out it is worn slots and eccentric bolts caused the issue. Now, we need to make up some new eccentric and clean up the slots get it working and allow better range of hight, camber and toe adjustment.

Quick Reply: Torsion bar delete/cantilever arm question