Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

ETHANOL in Gasoline?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 10:50 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by goldminer
I fill up with Shell 100 for track days and the car always feels "crisper" but I'm still worried about
a) Porsche not recommending we use any fuel with ethanol and
b) the 944s reputation for self immolation
so I use 98 without ethanol for the rest of the time.

What ehall said AND.........

IIRC in some states gas stations don't even have to disclose whether or not there is ethanol in the gas. Based on that alone, you never know when or if you have any ethanol running at a given time.

I have no problem whether I run it or not, as stated earlier, I actually preferred to run the 10% I used to run.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:02 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sticking with Shell V-Power with 10% ethanol until Chevron starts using it...
Old 04-07-2008, 11:15 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by goldminer
I fill up with Shell 100 for track days and the car always feels "crisper" but I'm still worried about
a) Porsche not recommending we use any fuel with ethanol and
b) the 944s reputation for self immolation
so I use 98 without ethanol for the rest of the time.
The Shell V100 which has only 5% shouldn't be a worry at all.
The reputation for cars catching fire has nothing to do with what fuel you use, it's mostly bad upkeep or very bad luck.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:43 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Not to mention the fact that ethanol is 2.88/gal. 93octane is 3.45. Price difference of 16%. So even if you get 15% worse mileage. Your still paying the same for a fuel that has way more potential.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:17 AM
zoltan944
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Not to mention the fact that ethanol is 2.88/gal. 93octane is 3.45. Price difference of 16%. So even if you get 15% worse mileage. Your still paying the same for a fuel that has way more potential.
I havn't seen a station here in San Diego, but in Vegas the last time I saw it was constantly $.10 cheaper than regular so $.30 cheaper per gallon there. But with the recent climb of what... $.50? wonder what it looks like.
Ill have to look into this more
Old 04-08-2008, 12:41 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

here in Colorado it (E85) is 2.29 vs 3.45 for premium.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:42 PM
LFA951
Drifting

True that!
Old 04-08-2008, 04:21 PM
gjoey66
Instructor

None oil dependant...stop drinking the kool-aid bro...it takes 4 gallons of fuel to farm, process, and deliver 3 gallons of E-juice...this is why legislators are backing off of this idiotic idea...can you say inflation as well

Please Stop the oil company propaganda. Go read about Ethanol.
you did NOT get 3%less fuel consumption because of a measly 10% ethanol content. using a full 85% ethanol content only gives you around a 5% decrease in gas mileage.
Your 3% can be chalked up to a million different things.

Excessive wear? Sure. What it's going to do is CLEAN out the filth and varnish our currently junky petro fuel divies up. Then your car will run terribly from that. It IS tougher on components. Barely. Most reviews are confusing a way more Caustic Methanol, also a Petrochemical product. we're talking changing out your hoses after 5 years instead of 21! I have no problem changing the 2 large and a few small ones in the current system for cleaner burning, non oil dependand, higher boost running, better performance giving fuel.
The 10% ethanol in fuel has been there for a long time. You've probably burnt it in your cars way more times than you know.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:03 PM
eniac
Drifting

Please Stop the oil company propaganda. Go read about Ethanol.
you did NOT get 3%less fuel consumption because of a measly 10% ethanol content. using a full 85% ethanol content only gives you around a 5% decrease in gas mileage.
That's really good news to hear that when I switch to E85 and have to fit 120lb injectors to handle the 27% more fuel I will be using, my gas mileage will only decrease 5%. Cold fusion here I come!...

E85 sucks economically, both in use and production, but it's great for high boosting turbos.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:25 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Fine. You clearly know way more than I do about cars.

For you guys not boosting high enough. Great. Enjoy these cars everyday.

You probably don't understand the advantage this has in a race car situation.

For those of us who are paying $8-10 per gallon for 105 octane or higher. $3.75/for 1.3 gallons for the same octane rating, with an added cooling effect sounds fantastic. IS fantastic.

As for the information concerning the environment. There are so many conflicting stories on the internet. You and I could quote the internet over and over as "proof" So. Serioulsy, Lets just not go there. (well, maybe a few couldn't hurt... next post please)

Last edited by 95ONE; 04-08-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:38 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by gjoey66
stop drinking the kool-aid bro...it takes 4 gallons of fuel to farm, process, and deliver 3 gallons of E-juice...this is why legislators are backing off of this idiotic idea...can you say inflation as well
I've read differently for corn.
If you read through to the bottom of the below quoted article from the Illionois Corn growers association. That same amount of energy (1.3 net gain, not .7 net as you state) also produces very useful products above and beyond. So. It's not a lost cost of production. And that's if we just use corn. If we use Cane or Soy, that number balloons.
Article doesn't even mention the fact that most of the CO2 burned in ethanol use is RECYCLED back into the corn crops. Coal and oil don't do that.

Please don't throw random quotes wthout support.

Here's one of many articles. enjoy. Knowledge is power.

" Ethanol Production

Each bushel of corn can produce 2.5 gallons of ethanol fuel. Only the starch from the corn is used to make ethanol, leaving the protein and valuable co-products for other uses. For example, that same bushel of corn can also produce: 1.5 pounds of corn oil, 12.4 pounds of 21% protein feed, 3 pounds of 60% protein gluten meal, and 17 pounds of carbon dioxide (used for carbonating soft drinks and other beverages).
Manufacturers utilize increasingly sophisticated technology to convert the starch to sugar. This sugar is then fed to yeast which converts the sugar to ethanol. It has been argued that it takes more energy to produce ethanol than is gained in the conversion process. Nothing could be further from the truth. On average, there is a 33% net energy gain, or more than 25,000 BTU's, while the industry's best plants produce an 87% net energy gain"

I'm not angry. Just passionate.

Would still have a great time hanging over our cars together.

Last edited by 95ONE; 04-09-2008 at 02:02 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:13 AM
LFA951
Drifting

I've read differently for corn.
If you read through to the bottom of the below quoted article from the Illionois Corn growers association. That same amount of energy (1.3 net gain, not .7 net as you state) also produces very useful products above and beyond. So. It's not a lost cost of production. And that's if we just use corn. If we use Cane or Soy, that number balloons.
Article doesn't even mention the fact that most of the CO2 burned in ethanol use is RECYCLED back into the corn crops. Coal and oil don't do that.

Please don't throw random quotes wthout support.

Here's one of many articles. enjoy. Knowledge is power.

" Ethanol Production

Each bushel of corn can produce 2.5 gallons of ethanol fuel. Only the starch from the corn is used to make ethanol, leaving the protein and valuable co-products for other uses. For example, that same bushel of corn can also produce: 1.5 pounds of corn oil, 12.4 pounds of 21% protein feed, 3 pounds of 60% protein gluten meal, and 17 pounds of carbon dioxide (used for carbonating soft drinks and other beverages).
Manufacturers utilize increasingly sophisticated technology to convert the starch to sugar. This sugar is then fed to yeast which converts the sugar to ethanol. It has been argued that it takes more energy to produce ethanol than is gained in the conversion process. Nothing could be further from the truth. On average, there is a 33% net energy gain, or more than 25,000 BTU's, while the industry's best plants produce an 87% net energy gain"

I'm not angry. Just passionate.

Would still have a great time hanging over our cars together.
+1
Old 04-09-2008, 03:30 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hows the saying go..."don't knock it until you try it"

actually I don't care whether the naysayers come around, most likely they'll not make enough power to see the benefits. So post away and have fun with that 15-20 psi pump gas or spending WAY too much on race fuel. I'll be having fun every day boosting the crap outa my car and then laughing as I spend 40 bucks for a fillup. Then go do it again.

As far as the Ethanol production. It's really funny to me that everyone gets all huffy about what it takes to make it. It just came online ...sheesh .. just like everything else it takes time to develope solid infrastructure to lower costs. The thing is, it doesn't need to come down. Have you seen the cost of fuel lately?? Or better yet just wait until mid summer and come back saying how expensive Ethanol is or better yet how about another 5 years when gas is over 5 bucks a gallon .. See where I'm coming from here??

Again just another passionate E85 user
Old 04-09-2008, 03:38 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Default 10% ethanol approved by all car manufactureres

http://www.deldot.gov/information/me...car_manual.pdf
Old 04-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It wont take 5 years to get to $5 a gallon, My guess is by end of August - mostly because of what the Iraq war/ Bush Admin policy is doing to the US dollar. The govt. pays you to use ethanol at this point and it is a step in the right direction for us eco-groovy folk. It's not a perfect solution, but a step away from dino fuel so keep the faith. I really like what Brazil is doing with sugar cane, thanks for that link.

I offer my cherry rebuilt 10K mile motor as a guinea pig. I just need to install some stuff and shovel it in.

Last edited by Matt Sheppard; 04-09-2008 at 03:49 PM. Reason: pic added for clarity

Quick Reply: ETHANOL in Gasoline?