Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

ETHANOL in Gasoline?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 07:02 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

You need to burn approx 30% more Ethanol but it does increase your octane rating. The E10 or E5 should provide a little better performance but it's not something you want sitting in the car for any length of time. There are performance gains to be had as Sid, Corleone and others have testified, but there's no such thing as a free lunch. You have to pay to play.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:09 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LFA951
That explains a lot, I had no backfires all week and there was less smoke on acceleration, the car feels much more stable and happy...
Backfires have ZERO to do with your gas change. That's bad tuning creating backfires.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:17 AM
LFA951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
Backfires have ZERO to do with your gas change. That's bad tuning creating backfires.
If that is true, then I'd see no difference with the backfiring issue...
Old 04-06-2008, 12:35 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

it is proven that all that waer on parts stuff is bull**** until you exceed 30% ethanol.
and many still believe the 15%in 85 is still enough hydrocabon to keep your fuel system oiled up so it seems that e85 85% of the time is a safe thing . I have seen no real negative first hand accounts of E85 . all you ever here of are third hand stories of pure methonol things with ultra crude injection being trouble some
Old 04-06-2008, 12:39 AM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

What differences did you notice?
This was my old car(user name), not the 951, but..... It seemed to run smoother in the upper rpm range at high boost levels, and was smoother running all around.

I didn't see a drop in gas mileage, it seemed to stay about the same.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:59 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If that is true, then I'd see no difference with the backfiring issue...
WRONG! It means your car was poorly tuned in the first place.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:17 AM
ebs
Instructor

When I first moved to a new state, 3 years years ago, I noticed that a lot of fuel suppliers had a sign that indicated whether there was ethanol or not. I wanted to use Shell, as their fuel had the highest octane rating, but had heard some horror stories about older cars and ethanol. I called Shell and spoke to one of their engineers. He explained that some engines can handle it others cannot. Porsche (at the time) had conducted tests on 10% ethanol and issued a statement to say that their cars should not have any ethanol content as it could significantly reduce engine life. They were then to run tests on 5% ethanol levels. I never heard what came out of those tests. Apparently their new cars are designed to handle ethanol, but older cars (eg, my 951 and 928) should avoid ethanol and the Shell engineer told me not to use their fuel.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:14 AM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by ebs
When I first moved to a new state, 3 years years ago, I noticed that a lot of fuel suppliers had a sign that indicated whether there was ethanol or not. I wanted to use Shell, as their fuel had the highest octane rating, but had heard some horror stories about older cars and ethanol. I called Shell and spoke to one of their engineers. He explained that some engines can handle it others cannot. Porsche (at the time) had conducted tests on 10% ethanol and issued a statement to say that their cars should not have any ethanol content as it could significantly reduce engine life. They were then to run tests on 5% ethanol levels. I never heard what came out of those tests. Apparently their new cars are designed to handle ethanol, but older cars (eg, my 951 and 928) should avoid ethanol and the Shell engineer told me not to use their fuel.
So then I shouldn't use the Shell with 10% ethanol even though it runs a lot better??!!
Old 04-06-2008, 11:39 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone know if Exxon uses 10% ethanol? I have been trying to avoid the ethanol gas around my area but it seems like all my traditional stations I use to go to now have the sticker saying "contains 10% ethanol". Exxon is first place I have seen without the sticker, and when I asked the guy working inside he claimed they did not have any in the gas. I'm not sure if he was just saying that so I would buy gas or not.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:55 AM
nsyr
Advanced

Congress is mandating that all gas companies use ethanol. Seems to me they are acting before thinking again.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:19 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Please Stop the oil company propaganda. Go read about Ethanol.
you did NOT get 3%less fuel consumption because of a measly 10% ethanol content. using a full 85% ethanol content only gives you around a 5% decrease in gas mileage.
Your 3% can be chalked up to a million different things.

Excessive wear? Sure. What it's going to do is CLEAN out the filth and varnish our currently junky petro fuel divies up. Then your car will run terribly from that. It IS tougher on components. Barely. Most reviews are confusing a way more Caustic Methanol, also a Petrochemical product. we're talking changing out your hoses after 5 years instead of 21! I have no problem changing the 2 large and a few small ones in the current system for cleaner burning, non oil dependand, higher boost running, better performance giving fuel.
The 10% ethanol in fuel has been there for a long time. You've probably burnt it in your cars way more times than you know.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:30 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a few of us that run full E85 (85% ethanol), with no issues. Unless you count MUCH higher performance potential

BTW I do see about 20-25% lower fuel economy.. but some of that can be attributed to a heavy foot.

-Rogue
Old 04-06-2008, 02:08 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
There is a few of us that run full E85 (85% ethanol), with no issues. Unless you count MUCH higher performance potential

-Rogue
Are you able to use the MAF Translator to dial it in, or did you go through other extremes, and what all did you replace to get to that point.

I'd love to see a chip map that allows the use of E-85, but I'm not sure what else would be required.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:23 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, my PB (MAF Translator) had no issues dialing it in, really simple actually.
The only things I've replaced is the rubber fuel lines (everyone should replace the lines if they are the factory 20year old ones anyway). I also have pretty large injectors, and a LR HV fuel pump. Nothing special, as you see.

A chip mapped for E-85 shouldn't be hard at all. Approximately 25% more fuel across the board, and I would give it at least 3degrees more timing everywhere. This could be done with the FQS switch.
E85 is much more forgiving then Gas about AFRs and nearly impossible to have knock (due to the higher octane and the cooling effect of alcohol).

Rogue
Old 04-06-2008, 06:59 PM
LFA951
Drifting

This is all great, but back to the topic, use no ethanol in gas or 10% ethanol?!!

Quick Reply: ETHANOL in Gasoline?