Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Upgraded Axles from The Driveshaft Shop

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Olli do you see this conversion as a viable improvement?
Not really. 931 trans might be better approach. Vette C5 trans & rear suspension is really interesting stuff. "Unfortunately" not wrecked Vettes around here
Old 04-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by MPD47
Oh god ST! I'm sorry, let me bow down before you. If you're flat shifting, using any form of anti-lag, preset rev limiters based on a clutch switch, etc you are putting more stress on the gearbox. Period. Call it what you want but it's blatantly obvious what is going on. As well put in another thread about transaxles, 1st and 2nd gear are really only to get you rolling in this car. Maybe it'll take you a few transaxles to figure it out. I have a spare Turbo trans which is used purely for drag passes that I swap in when I wanna drive like an idiot from a dig or do burnouts (see: disposable). Otherwise I use my 968 6spd. As for the Turbo S trans, what DFASTEST said was absolutely correct. However it will NOT hold up to aggressive launches for long. I had a fully built box, Turbo S, quaife, cryo this, shot peened that. Yeah, how long did it take me to blow that apart? 1 season of aggressive launches and other various "abuse" at 400whp. Great. I've blown apart 2 other's that were not built as well. Joe pretty much has the best advice in this thread about having a STRONG healthy transaxle, but other than that, dont go from a dig or WOT in 1st gear and you'll have half the battle out of the way. But judging by your posts Rogue, you wont pay any attention to this advice anyway.

-M

This is the first post you've made with any substance. But unfortunately you choose to clutter it up with your patronizing and ignorant comments. I started this topic to hopefully gain some insight, and possibly help others. I would ask that you have the same candor in your posts. If you can't post without belittleing, then please refrain from posting.

Thanks.

-Rogue
Old 04-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
Not really. 931 trans might be better approach. Vette C5 trans & rear suspension is really interesting stuff. "Unfortunately" not wrecked Vettes around here
Olli,
I believe he was asking about the Audi 01E.

-Rogue
Old 04-05-2008, 03:22 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

I guess in amongst some of this comes the question what do you want to do with your car. Perhaps we should elaborate when we say that we want to 'play' with the car. EG I want to play with my car on the track and eventually with a lot of power, more than has been discussed so far. However this will 90% likely be in a lighter track car which will reduce the load coupled with the fact that I don't want to sidestep the clutch. Also I think the power curve/tq spread is also a big factor. The care and condition of components equally important. There are apparently a few cars out there running with approx 700lb/tq through 6-speed trannys so it would seem that it's possible. These are race cars so again with a significant weight loss to lower the load and sympathetic driving moving off the mark it would seem it's do-able.
Others are wanting to perhaps do more 1/4 mile stuff or drifting or traffic light racing. I don't know but perhaps the only way to come close to bullet proof is by a full Corvette transplant which is a piece of major work.
The 931 definitely has it's supporters on other forums and those are people who run V8s so there is merit in pursuing this I believe. If some others read the link to that guy's paper on it,
( http://www.porschehybrids.com/gallery/album22 )
he has done some decent research to support his claims. Mike suggests that the internals are good but the externals have a question mark over them. Elaborate on this anyone?
For me there has definitely been some good out of this thread so keep it coming.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:46 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not here to tell you how to drive or not drive your car, Rogue. What you want to do with it is your business. You're bringing a chance here for better axles and everyones hating on you, lol. But swapping in different transmissions for different purposes is not an answer. As far as I'm concerned, no one here has actually tried stronger axles in a high powered 951. Why is everyone turning to negative town? You're all speculating.

1000 for strong custom made axles is not too high a price, either. Look around, outside this forum at a custom level. People on this forum have ridiculous expectations.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:16 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Well Dr Scientist, why don't you lay down your hard earned cash and install some bulletproof axles at the risk of destroying your tranny to test it for us...oh that's right you cut your car into tiny little pieces!
Actually I don't think anybody is being negative here Derek, just cautious and yes, speculative. The origin of this thread was Rogue's dislike for his car breaking if and when he goes out to play. What has come out of it has at least for me been pretty interesting and informative as I've crossed to other forums to get some alternative opinions and experiences. I would never have thought that the 931 box could be potentially stronger than ours for example. I still can't see why it is in practical terms nor do I know yet whether it's a good concept to pursue. As for the axles and CVs I think that they are a good idea depending on the usage of the car.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:56 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Well Dr Scientist, why don't you lay down your hard earned cash and install some bulletproof axles at the risk of destroying your tranny to test it for us...oh that's right you cut your car into tiny little pieces!
Actually I don't think anybody is being negative here Derek, just cautious and yes, speculative. The origin of this thread was Rogue's dislike for his car breaking if and when he goes out to play. What has come out of it has at least for me been pretty interesting and informative as I've crossed to other forums to get some alternative opinions and experiences. I would never have thought that the 931 box could be potentially stronger than ours for example. I still can't see why it is in practical terms nor do I know yet whether it's a good concept to pursue. As for the axles and CVs I think that they are a good idea depending on the usage of the car.

I've got no problem putting my hard earned cash into axles to install on my van, the Porsche is gone. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:58 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive been trying to get a hold of a audi v8 01E for some time to test, so far nothing cheap enough to test, personally I'd dish out 10-15k (hopefully seqential then) or so if I got a tranny that I could really beat the **** out of with 500hp and still win. that would require it to be tested and slightly bolton'ish I would accept chassis mods to make it fit though.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:01 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DDP
I've got no problem putting my hard earned cash into axles to install on my van, the Porsche is gone. I'll let you know how it goes.
I'll stay glued here awaiting your results
Old 04-05-2008, 08:03 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by anders44
Ive been trying to get a hold of a audi v8 01E for some time to test, so far nothing cheap enough to test, personally I'd dish out 10-15k (hopefully seqentil then) or so if I got a tranny that I could really beat the **** out of with 500hp and still win.
If you could get a sequential for that kind of money and then I can't think of any I've seen that we're rated at over 450whp, have you?
Old 04-06-2008, 04:51 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Anders, does the Audi V8 01E have a sequential shift tranny? If so, I never knew that.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:02 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

No, they do not have a sequential shift tranny
Old 04-06-2008, 07:46 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Im surprised no one has mentioned this...

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ransaxle+brace
Old 04-06-2008, 08:04 AM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DFASTEST951
Anders, does the Audi V8 01E have a sequential shift tranny? If so, I never knew that.
no it doesn't

the sequentialpart was more a dream if any othe transmission was to be used

I've sent some email to german/swedish/norwegian junkers and asked for a broken v8 FWD 01E so I can test, a few leads but nothing so far.

on VLN I think a lof of the cars has sequantial gearing? maybe just a lot of clever levers and such on top of a regular dogbox perhaps?

they sure do have over 450HP though
Old 04-06-2008, 08:07 AM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by theedge
Im surprised no one has mentioned this...

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ransaxle+brace
it has been mentiond, and as the post says, a lot of positive feedback and I think in 2008 a lot will have solid mounts or a brace

<-- will

Quick Reply: Upgraded Axles from The Driveshaft Shop