Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

BRAKES FEEDBACK????

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 04:05 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Well Tony sorry to hear, but it's also nice to know that I'm not imagining it and there are others with the same less than ideal pedal.
I also contacted ATE and gave them every detail about my car and the stock parts with their product codes...everything, and his response was. Sorry can't help you. Contact a Porsche dealer or mechanic. Damn legal chicken. If he advises me of something else, I crash, well if I'm in the US I sue him right. Seems to be the way. Shame. Not sure what I'll do now re the ATE upgrade...
Old 03-30-2008, 11:34 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had thought it may have been a MC problem, but a now MC made no appreciable difference. FWIW I'm running SFR fluids and freshly rebuilt calipers all round. I still suspect that the ABS pump may be part of the problem.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:04 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an '89 944 Turbo with the bigger front brakes, steel braided brake lines all around, new master cylinder last year, Ferodo DS3000 pads, 5/33 proportioning valve, ATE Super Blue, and my brake pedal is NOT as firm as my other friends with their regular (smaller) 944 Turbo brakes. Most of these other cars are non ABS, and I thought perhaps the extra travel in my brakes is due to my ABS. I regularly flush my brake fluid with a power bleeder, and I've never been able to get a super firm brake pedal like the guys with the regular Turbos.

I saw this from "Thom" on another thread -

As 951 S calipers are bigger than 951 calipers they are filled with more brake fluid, hence the longer brake pedal travel required to brake down a 951 S compared to a 951. This allows for heel & toeing, as 951 S brakes begin to be effective when the brake pedal is basically at the same level as the throttle pedal (at least this is true when using stock pads). It is impossible to heel & toe with the 951 as the brake pedal travel is much shorter.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:46 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As 951 S calipers are bigger than 951 calipers they are filled with more brake fluid, hence the longer brake pedal travel required to brake down a 951 S compared to a 951. This allows for heel & toeing, as 951 S brakes begin to be effective when the brake pedal is basically at the same level as the throttle pedal (at least this is true when using stock pads). It is impossible to heel & toe with the 951 as the brake pedal travel is much shorter.
My apologies in advance to Thom, but he's full of ****.

1: It's absolutely no problem to heel toe with a regular 951 brakes, I can do it, and so can many other drivers I know.
2: There are MANY other cars with bigger calipers than the 951S, and they do not have longer pedal travel.
3: Ian - I have drove Paul Biddle's 951S before he bought it and it didn't have the long pedal travel likes yours did yesterday.

I'm not sure why it's like that, but I think it has more to do with the vacuumbooster and mastercylinder than it does the fluid in the calipers or the ABS - unless maybe there is air in the ABS control unit.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:18 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Stock m/c for reference. See the measurements on the m/c itself 23 & 20.
More precisely they're 23.81mm front and 20.64mm rears.
Just to drag this one up again, but someone proffered this link which looked interesting.
http://www.e30m3project.com/e30m3per.../25mc/25mc.htm
Might be worth a small bit of time and money to buy one of these cheaply (I'm guessing?) and fit it. I'd love to know how much it would change things?
Anyone game?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: BRAKES FEEDBACK????