Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What size speakers are in the doors? (10 speaker car) (wtb door boxes)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 05:39 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What size speakers are in the doors? (10 speaker car) (wtb door boxes)

ONE of my PO's wanted a better sound system, so he took it to a stereo shop. they were retarded among other things, and crammed some large speakers into the carrier. they put em in on the wrong side of the box, and low and behold, the door grilles don't fit, AND, it cracked the carriers... which they glued... while gluing in the speakers. so because the speakers are on the WRONG side, the grilles bow out a little bit. also, to fix the fitting issues, they put a wood screw through the back of the door pocket into the arm rest to hold in place. it looks like crap and has driven me crazy since dad bought the car.

I'm probably going to end up replacing the boxes ($82.00 for both from Pelican) and speakers because it'll be impossible to remove the damn things, so what size are they? looked like a 6x6, and then like, a 4x4. Pelican doesn't list sizes, just says "woofer" and "mid range"

Also, if anyone is parting a 10-speaker car, I'm willing to buy the door boxes if they're in good condition and not glued together...
Old 02-09-2008, 05:52 PM
tman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the woofer is 5.25" and the mid is ome odd size, like 2.5".
I replaced mine with a 2 way JL Audio speakers. Just covered the 2.5" hole up and put the tweeter high up in the factory location.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:50 PM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes the door speakers are 5.25” and 3” along with a 1.5” tweeter.
I’ll have some pics, measurements and more info for you later today.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 283 Posts

Fyi - https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale-ads-member-to-member-fs-wtb-free/408903-fs-10-speaker-leather-door-panels-black.html
Old 02-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool. thanks Nurburger!

I actually fixed it. I got some speakers that actually fit (and sound better) put them in place, pulled off all the caulking, rewired them, and when the speakers are screwed into the proper mounting points, go figure, it's all held together perfectly! wierd!

so it sounds great, looks normal again, and all is well... Now, time to find my exhuast leak.

Quick Reply: What size speakers are in the doors? (10 speaker car) (wtb door boxes)