Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951 Value

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 08:17 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 951 Value

First of all, I cannot even believe I am considering this. I love my 951.
Now its time to be realistic. I drive the 951 maybe 10 times a year. Yes its fun and fast, but it mostly sits in the garage.

So I am thinking of getting rid of it for a Cayenne turbo that I can use all the time (951 sucks in poor weather and hard to but a baby seat in the back with the rollbar).

So what are 951s going for now-a-days? I was thinking $12-15K (obviously I want the higher end). Is a 951 with big red, fikse wheels, K27/6, MAF, very nice suspension setup (i.e. yellow konis, springs, swaybars, etc), and other upgrades worth that kind of money?

Here are some pictures
http://danat.mesanetworks.net/pic3.jpg
http://danat.mesanetworks.net/pic2.jpg

If I am totally off my rocker, let me know (either for the CT or the price).

And yes, the bike has to go too…..wife doesn’t like the bike any longer….

-Dana
Old 01-19-2008, 08:29 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

need more info on the engine and hp, condition of interior, original paint? paint condition?
Old 01-19-2008, 09:14 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Condition.

Original paint. Very nice condition. It has leather recaro seats in it. Originals is basement. Has things like dual port wastegate, stainless exhaust, etc. Most important thing: raceware studs. No head gaskets blown on raceware studs (that was a chore changing those).

Not a very good picture (must transfer picture onto new computer) but you can see how nice the paint is even with a poor photo

http://danat.mesanetworks.net/garage2.jpg

Horsepower. Never dyno'ed.

However, at 5000ft altitude on a hot day, ran 102mph 1/4 miles. I would say the car makes 275rwhp or so. Just a rough guess.

As far as condition. being a 20 year old car (1986) it is an 8.5 or 9. Its not showroom perfect, but it very nice.

-Dana
Old 01-19-2008, 10:28 PM
tman
Pro

I can't believe you are selling both of those. I couldn't think of selling mine.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:32 AM
Erzengal
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DanaT
If I am totally off my rocker, let me know (either for the CT or the price).

And yes, the bike has to go too…..wife doesn’t like the bike any longer….

-Dana
Unless it is a Turbo-S, I doubt you will get more then 12.5k. Most nice examples tend to run 10-11k. Though odd buyers do happen. It does look like a really good 951 though. I would recommend selling the wheels separately if you do sell the car. Offer them for an additional cost.

Personally, I would recommend trading in that Jeep AND the wife towards a CT.

Cayenne's are very fun vehicles to drive, so that is understandable to look at those.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:03 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 184 Posts

If its as nice as you say it is, I would think you could ask 13k for it. You may have to take less, but it would be a high but fair starting region. Yes there are a lot of cheap cars out there, but I was browsing e-bay last night and most of them are junk.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:05 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Whoa whoa whoa!!!! the 951 is a great car in the snow with proper tires!!! I drive mine daily!

And as far as the roll bar do you DE/autocross the car???

I guess your paint is too nice to drive daily in snow, so I can justify leaving it in the garage.

What kind of seats do you have in there?? look weird with the adjustable headrests.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:57 AM
EdC
Pro

With the "R" word being thrown around about the present and future economy I suspect that the 951 market may not be good this Spring. You may not get what you hope for because there may be fewer buyers around. I hope I'm wrong.

If the paint is good, why is it important that it be original paint when the rest of the 951 is a modified and far from stock? Doesn't make much sense to me unless the rest of the 951 is a low mileage stocker. The 951 is not a true collectible anyways.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:07 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Airflite40
Whoa whoa whoa!!!! the 951 is a great car in the snow with proper tires!!! I drive mine daily!

And as far as the roll bar do you DE/autocross the car???

I guess your paint is too nice to drive daily in snow, so I can justify leaving it in the garage.

What kind of seats do you have in there?? look weird with the adjustable headrests.
Do I autox the car? No. Right now, I dont do much with the car. It mostly sits in the garage. I drive it a handful of times a year just for fun. The last few years I have not been at home enough to really drive it. If it going to rain. I wont drive it. Same thing with the motorcycle.

What would upset the most with getting rid of the car is then I wouldnt have something to play with. I am always doing something and its the car I can take apart and play with without having to worry about getting the thing back together in a hurry to drive to work the next monday morning.

As far as driving in, snow, yeah, I guess I could get snow tires (and another set of wheels) but I have to run 17" wheels (to fit the brakes in there). Why would I do that when I have a 4WD with ground clearance and real tires?

My wife has given me the following options:
Either thing I do is get rid of the Jeep. I want something newer because it has lived a long life (170K miles).

Choice 1) Get rid of Hayabusa and Jeep and can Have a Cayenne S. This invloves some continual complaining from the wife and in the end I will be driving a Honda CRV while she drives a Cayenne.

Choice 2) Get rid of the Hayabusa, Jeep, and 951 and I can have a Cayenne Turbo. Same as choice 1. I will be driving a CRV and she will be driving a Cayenne Turbo.

Choice 3) Keep my toys (951 and Bike) and just get something "practical" like a 4Runner or a Tacoma 4 door. This invloves less complaining from the wife about my car choice, but more complaining about keeping the bike. She is willing to give in on a Cayenne because she wants the bike gone. Something about having a 3 year old daughter, me not being in my 20s anymore, bikes being dangerous, I earn 80% of the money, etc. I dont get it. The end result of this would be that I dont end up driving a CRV.

FWIW. CRVs SUCK!!!!. Thats the nicest thing I can say about them...

-Dana
Old 01-20-2008, 02:39 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

No option 4??

Choice 4) Keep the 951, the hayabusa and buy a new Cayene Turbo S and get rid of the wife.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:41 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Originally Posted by lart951
No option 4??

Choice 4) Keep the 951, the hayabusa and buy a new Cayene Turbo S and get rid of the wife.
Hehe.....that was my thought as well......
Old 01-20-2008, 03:20 PM
S2cab
Instructor

Originally Posted by smokintr6
If its as nice as you say it is, I would think you could ask 13k for it. You may have to take less, but it would be a high but fair starting region. Yes there are a lot of cheap cars out there, but I was browsing e-bay last night and most of them are junk.
I've been tracking 951's for sale on 3 major sites for months. Not many have sold. Many have been up for sale for months. Most are overpriced,some insanely overpriced, & even with a "new, lower price" they aren't selling. Most don't sell, no offers or bids, & are pulled off the market. They usually reappear for sale in a month or two, sometimes in a week. The results are always the same, no sale. You can either hold on to it, or sell it at what the market dictates. Asking here for a price range is not going to get it sold.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:53 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Attached Images  
Old 01-20-2008, 04:03 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DDP
Can you have more respect, that picture is very cruel
Attached Images  
Old 01-20-2008, 04:06 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ah. Thank you for correcting me. Where would this forum be without you, Lart? I'll tell you where, lost. Lost and misunderstood.

Quick Reply: 951 Value