Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   It has been a long time wanted to check in (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/404226-it-has-been-a-long-time-wanted-to-check-in.html)

baron951 01-18-2008 08:29 AM

It has been a long time wanted to check in

I miss behind the wheel of my pumped up 951. Especially the power and simplicity
Every week the UPS truck would pull up at my home or office with parts from Lindsey racing and other power junky suppliers.
Weekends would be spent adding power and handling. Sadly I sold her two years ago to make room for my02 996TT and 07 Subaru STI.
I have been thinking long and hard about purchasing another 951 to fill the gap. You see I am not ready to work on the 996TT myself and the Subaru STI is really a stretch for my mechanic experience. Currently the 996TT is in the shop due to camshaft position sensor failure and O2 sensor (can you believe there are 3 02 sensors). You see I thought that I would purchase my dream car 996TT stock and that would be enough power and reliability (no more cam tower gaskets leaking, timing belts, water pumps ect. ect. Associated with the 951)
Well I was right but you know old habits die hard.
Last year I had a Fabspeed gen3 exhaust put in with headers $$$$$
Then I had to have the Revo software upgrade $$$$$
Forged Diverter valve (had to buy two)
Cold air EVO Intake
Ok so that was about 480-500hp
So cool car is quick and scary yes well since the shop has to pull the motor to get to the Camshaft position sensor we decided to do the clutch and fly wheel
Since we are doing the clutch we have to upgrade the turbo right
Since we are upgrading the turbos we have to tune the software
New numbers will be somewhere between 550 to 585 HP (I do not believe that my driving skill's match up to the power levels)
If any one has a well sorted 951 I am interested. I do not wish to use the 996tt as a daily driver any more and the Subaru is for snow driving and off road.
You see the cost of upgrading the 951 to lest say 325-370 Hp can be had for what I paid for the exhaust system on the 996tt unreal. I know age takes it toll on reliability however I have all the tools and knowledge to work on the 951 and I know what kind of sleeper they can be when set up for power.

Thanks

333pg333 01-18-2008 08:53 AM

Well lucky you!!!
You can probably pick up something that has already been massaged to that hp level and save a bundle or get in touch with Lart and put together your perfect Leggo car.

Scootin159 01-18-2008 10:50 AM

STi's make wonderful winter rats, don't they?

baron951 01-18-2008 11:03 AM

Yes they do the funny thing is the car feels faster in the rain I put blizzaks on enki's for the snow and it made all the difference funky looking car I feel like a teenager in that thing :)

baron951 01-18-2008 11:06 AM

I always loved the sport of rally racing and the Subaru was the closet I could come to a rally car for the street out the box however do not have the guts to drive on a rally stage with trees and rocks. Use to attend the old scca rally races in PA and NY however after seeing some nasty accidents thought it best to stay off the rally stages :(

Luis de Prat 01-18-2008 12:37 PM

Welcome back. You know, 951 owners always come back! ;)

VWaddict 01-18-2008 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat (Post 4998850)
You know, 951 owners always come back! ;)

Yeah, -it's a bit like bangin' a Supermodel...

Eventually you get tired of their high-maintenance crap, and move on.

...But then, one day you catch a glimpse of your 'ex' on TV, and you wonder where the hell your mind was at, the day you gave her your marching orders, instead of just buying some earplugs!

Keef

Ahmet 01-18-2008 05:33 PM

Seems like it... I'm considering another one myself.
Ahmet

gmsracing 01-18-2008 08:13 PM

Get a Cobb Accessport stage 1 for your Sti. I had one for mine and it was great. It really freed up the motor above 6k rpms. Stock, the car always felt lazy above that speed, but with the retune it SNAPPED to redline. Really improved the performance of the car.

I had plans to sell my 951 when my Cayman S arrived. But, now that it is here I want to keep both...