Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turned the key on the 3 Liter...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 01:27 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Amazing result there Tom. What's 'Simple Green'? Sounds like some mouthwash. Although you probably can't read this...heheh
Do you do house calls to other countries. Man you get stuff clean on your car!
Old 01-05-2008, 01:38 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

It's this.

http://www.simplegreen.com/products_family.php

As for housecalls -- where are you in Australia? Sydney is one of my favorite places.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:15 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Right. They market that juice all over the world just with different names I think.

Yep, many of the Aussie Rennlisters are from Sydney with a couple from up near Brisbane and a few from Mexico, I mean Melbourne. When were you here?
Old 01-05-2008, 02:53 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leave Tom alone. His garage floor has dirt on it!
Old 01-05-2008, 03:00 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just vice versa. Clean garage floor, not so clean motor. lol

Looks good man. I do prefer gas though!
Old 01-21-2008, 08:18 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Well, over the last week or so, I've got everything buttoned up again and have been slowly breaking in the motor. It has about 70 miles on it now, and runs great so far. It has more throttle response than the old motor in the sub-4k range off boost. Still not a stump puller, but better than the 2.5. The Vitesse software is spot on despite the jump in displacement. The Vitesse turbo makes a little twitter sound as it spools -- similar to my old Huntley turbo but you can almost hear it moving more air. The motor itself sounds and feels, well, normal. And, for the first time since I've owned it, no oil or p/s leaks! Everything is dry as a bone under there!

The vacuum at idle has jumped from 17 to over 18 -- makes me wonder how strong it will be once the rings are fully seated. I have not run any boost yet of course -- that will have to wait till things break in. Still need to address some ugly grumps and groans in the driveline. I forgot how loud my tranny had gotten before I pulled the motor. I've been doing plenty of engine braking (decel in gear) to seat the rings and the old tranny hates it. Debating whether to plug in the LSD spare as is, or having it rebuilt first. Once it's all broken in, I'll be heading to the dyno...

Here is the motor in place. Funny how little of the detail work is visible when fully installed. Just goes to show you how hard it is to tell the difference between a truly well maintained motor vs. one that's been cleaned off on top.
Attached Images  
Old 01-21-2008, 08:35 PM
rsrdan
Racer

very clean dude!!
Old 01-21-2008, 08:44 PM
Under Pressure Performance
Instructor

I disagree, I think it still looks like a nicely detailed engine!

By the way, I tried to call you today (left a message) give me a buzz when you get a chance.

In the meantime - Enjoy!
Old 01-21-2008, 08:53 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Well, over the last week or so, I've got everything buttoned up again and have been slowly breaking in the motor. It has about 70 miles on it now, and runs great so far. It has more throttle response than the old motor in the sub-4k range off boost. Still not a stump puller, but better than the 2.5. The Vitesse software is spot on despite the jump in displacement. The Vitesse turbo makes a little twitter sound as it spools -- similar to my old Huntley turbo but you can almost hear it moving more air. The motor itself sounds and feels, well, normal. And, for the first time since I've owned it, no oil or p/s leaks! Everything is dry as a bone under there!

The vacuum at idle has jumped from 17 to over 18 -- makes me wonder how strong it will be once the rings are fully seated. I have not run any boost yet of course -- that will have to wait till things break in. Still need to address some ugly grumps and groans in the driveline. I forgot how loud my tranny had gotten before I pulled the motor. I've been doing plenty of engine braking (decel in gear) to seat the rings and the old tranny hates it. Debating whether to plug in the LSD spare as is, or having it rebuilt first. Once it's all broken in, I'll be heading to the dyno...

Here is the motor in place. Funny how little of the detail work is visible when fully installed. Just goes to show you how hard it is to tell the difference between a truly well maintained motor vs. one that's been cleaned off on top.

Wow , really clean setup !
Heavy engine decel to break your rings in ! i would not recommend doing so , much better putting a little boost on the engine in the lower gears every now and then to help seat the rings for the first 500 miles ....
Old 01-21-2008, 09:00 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Wow , really clean setup !
Heavy engine decel to break your rings in ! i would not recommend doing so , much better putting a little boost on the engine in the lower gears every now and then to help seat the rings for the first 500 miles ....

I agree with Weighin..

Give it a little boost, Tom and change engine speeds frequently..
Old 01-21-2008, 09:19 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Wow, that's clean. I do agree on the comment about motor bays being deceiving. Mine is that way. Pretty spotless up top, but if you crawl underneath, you'll see the true story. lol
Old 01-22-2008, 05:02 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Super clean!
And yes, give the little fellow a little boost
Old 01-22-2008, 05:39 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

I guess 'Heavy' is well , heavy, but I always thought doing a little bit of backoff decel was part of run in, along with going up and down the limited rev range. Running on the spring should see a few lbs of boost anyway, yes?
Old 01-22-2008, 10:40 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by special tool
I agree with Weighin..

Give it a little boost, Tom and change engine speeds frequently..

Tom, Be careful. ST's idea of little boost is 28psi at 6600rpm, making 602rwhp, 5 hrs after his motor had a full rebuild.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:38 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Well, thanks alot guys! I turned up the boost like you said and it twisted the center right out of the tire...
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Turned the key on the 3 Liter...