Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turned the key on the 3 Liter...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 09:01 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Good to hear the HG issue is definitely a thing of the past - congrats on a great job well done.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:41 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

congrats !!

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn

in case you are ever on a game show and the question is:

"How many miles does a 205/55R16 Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus last?"

The answer is 93,962.

got like 76 k on my Dunlops now. with the exception of one of the rear tires that i rotated over to the weak side and may soon be showing threads, seems theres almost no end to them.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:03 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thats great new Tom, always good to hear of a reliability success story in the 3.0 turbo world. You are doing what those of us with the same engines still in the R&D phase are hoping for. I hope to join you this spring when I put the finishing touches on mine!
Old 12-15-2012, 01:20 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn

I went through a spat of HG problems a few years back but seem to have that fully solved now.

now using the MSD6 box/coil with the stock cap and rotor and it's doing just fine.
What was the issue and cure for the headgasket?

Is that the standard MSD6A or one of there upgraded units?

Glad to hear she is running great
Old 12-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by David Floyd
What was the issue and cure for the headgasket?

Is that the standard MSD6A or one of there upgraded units?

Glad to hear she is running great
To be honest, I'm not 100% sure on the HG. There is a very slight chance the head was hanging up on the alignment dowel. The bore looked like it had a lip inside where the dowel was hanging up. I ordered new dowels from Porsche and was curious to see that the replacements were a few mm's shorter than the originals. Coincidence? I dunno.

I'm fairly sure the actual cause was detonation, however. The Mahle/Andial pistons claim to be low compression, but cc'ing the motor shows that they are about 8.7:1 (if memory serves) with an uncut block and head. Of course, both my block and head were decked when I built the motor, so the compression started off pretty close to 9:1. When the HG first started leaking (after high boost dyno's etc.) I had the head skimmed again while I chased the problem, which only served to increase the compression ratio more and more. At that point, I re-wired the piggyback so I could control the timing, and installed a knock counter/monitor, and concluded that I was running 6+ degrees more advance than the motor could really take under heavy boost. Once I backed off on the timing (and torqued the racewares to 100ft lbs, and installed a steam vent, and went to colder plugs, and watched the knock counter, and added stronger spark, etc., etc.) I have not had any signs of HG problems.

The MSD unit is just their basic 6A. I had no need for the features on the more expensive units because the Vitesse piggyback does all that stuff and I did not want another thing I had to hook up to my laptop to tune the car. Made a custom braket and installed where the factory air filter goes. I don't have a picture of the underside of the bracket, but I had to tack some spacers and nuts on the bottom to make it easier to install/remove. It was also the first thing I powder coated with my new powder coating gun.
Attached Images   
Old 12-15-2012, 08:22 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Tom, what AFR are you running under peak boost?

I found myself running 12.5 without getting any detonation, which I have put on the account of my stronger-than-stock spark. Just curious if you would be able to lean it out to a similar extent with your MSD set up.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:41 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

I have it tuned for 11.5. I've never noticed more power by leaning it and figured the extra fuel acts like expensive water injection. I may try edging it up a bit now that I have things under control and see if the knock count changes any. The MSD unit creates a plenty healthy spark -- no need for reduced gaps anymore...
Old 12-31-2017, 06:41 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Hard to believe it's been 10 years and 31k miles since I first fired-up the 3 liter motor. It's still pulls like a train under boost, with no sign of aging. Nothing quite like these cars and their all-at-once shove in the back! With any luck, watch this space 10 years from now for another update.

In the meantime, 10 years later I find myself breaking-in another motor. I'm up to 250 miles and can't wait till this one is broken-in too! I'll attempt to compare the two once I can, but suspect it's like comparing chocolate to calculus -- both incredible but completely different things.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:19 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like fun
Old 01-01-2018, 09:45 AM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom, nice!

happy new year, all!
Old 01-01-2018, 11:22 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice Tom! Happy New Year! I'm about to open up the engine again and I'll use your guide to stay organized. As always, Thanks!
Old 01-04-2018, 06:41 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Reading this story for the first time. Love it.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:04 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Thanks! The real story was building it:

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...ding-blog.html

and testing it:

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...493-498-a.html
Old 01-04-2018, 07:25 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Incredible! Such a wealth of information and images. So much inspiration. I'm getting a little dizzy taking it all in at once lol

I can't believe you can take the motor out without pulling the heat shield next to the brake booster.. the same shield I had to take off during an AOS seals job? Funny

Quick Reply: Turned the key on the 3 Liter...