Turned the key on the 3 Liter... - Page 4 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

Turned the key on the 3 Liter...

Reply

Old 01-05-2008, 01:27 AM
  #46  
333pg333
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
333pg333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,437
Default

Amazing result there Tom. What's 'Simple Green'? Sounds like some mouthwash. Although you probably can't read this...heheh
Do you do house calls to other countries. Man you get stuff clean on your car!
333pg333 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:38 AM
  #47  
Tom M'Guinn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thread Starter
 
Tom M'Guinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Just CA Now :)
Posts: 10,402
Default

It's this.

http://www.simplegreen.com/products_family.php

As for housecalls -- where are you in Australia? Sydney is one of my favorite places.
Tom M'Guinn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 02:15 AM
  #48  
333pg333
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
333pg333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,437
Default

Right. They market that juice all over the world just with different names I think.

Yep, many of the Aussie Rennlisters are from Sydney with a couple from up near Brisbane and a few from Mexico, I mean Melbourne. When were you here?
333pg333 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 02:53 AM
  #49  
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
ehall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: long gone.....
Posts: 17,408
Default

Leave Tom alone. His garage floor has dirt on it!
ehall is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 03:00 AM
  #50  
CarbonRevo
Super User
 
CarbonRevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 2,285
Default

I'm just vice versa. Clean garage floor, not so clean motor. lol

Looks good man. I do prefer gas though!
CarbonRevo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:18 PM
  #51  
Tom M'Guinn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thread Starter
 
Tom M'Guinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Just CA Now :)
Posts: 10,402
Default

Well, over the last week or so, I've got everything buttoned up again and have been slowly breaking in the motor. It has about 70 miles on it now, and runs great so far. It has more throttle response than the old motor in the sub-4k range off boost. Still not a stump puller, but better than the 2.5. The Vitesse software is spot on despite the jump in displacement. The Vitesse turbo makes a little twitter sound as it spools -- similar to my old Huntley turbo but you can almost hear it moving more air. The motor itself sounds and feels, well, normal. And, for the first time since I've owned it, no oil or p/s leaks! Everything is dry as a bone under there!

The vacuum at idle has jumped from 17 to over 18 -- makes me wonder how strong it will be once the rings are fully seated. I have not run any boost yet of course -- that will have to wait till things break in. Still need to address some ugly grumps and groans in the driveline. I forgot how loud my tranny had gotten before I pulled the motor. I've been doing plenty of engine braking (decel in gear) to seat the rings and the old tranny hates it. Debating whether to plug in the LSD spare as is, or having it rebuilt first. Once it's all broken in, I'll be heading to the dyno...

Here is the motor in place. Funny how little of the detail work is visible when fully installed. Just goes to show you how hard it is to tell the difference between a truly well maintained motor vs. one that's been cleaned off on top.
Attached Images  
Tom M'Guinn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:35 PM
  #52  
rsrdan
User
 
rsrdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: n.c
Posts: 368
Default

very clean dude!!
rsrdan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:44 PM
  #53  
Under Pressure Performance
User
 
Under Pressure Performance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Assonet, MA
Posts: 185
Default

I disagree, I think it still looks like a nicely detailed engine!

By the way, I tried to call you today (left a message) give me a buzz when you get a chance.

In the meantime - Enjoy!
Under Pressure Performance is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:53 PM
  #54  
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member
 
A.Wayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: RPM Central
Posts: 20,448
Default

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn View Post
Well, over the last week or so, I've got everything buttoned up again and have been slowly breaking in the motor. It has about 70 miles on it now, and runs great so far. It has more throttle response than the old motor in the sub-4k range off boost. Still not a stump puller, but better than the 2.5. The Vitesse software is spot on despite the jump in displacement. The Vitesse turbo makes a little twitter sound as it spools -- similar to my old Huntley turbo but you can almost hear it moving more air. The motor itself sounds and feels, well, normal. And, for the first time since I've owned it, no oil or p/s leaks! Everything is dry as a bone under there!

The vacuum at idle has jumped from 17 to over 18 -- makes me wonder how strong it will be once the rings are fully seated. I have not run any boost yet of course -- that will have to wait till things break in. Still need to address some ugly grumps and groans in the driveline. I forgot how loud my tranny had gotten before I pulled the motor. I've been doing plenty of engine braking (decel in gear) to seat the rings and the old tranny hates it. Debating whether to plug in the LSD spare as is, or having it rebuilt first. Once it's all broken in, I'll be heading to the dyno...

Here is the motor in place. Funny how little of the detail work is visible when fully installed. Just goes to show you how hard it is to tell the difference between a truly well maintained motor vs. one that's been cleaned off on top.

Wow , really clean setup !
Heavy engine decel to break your rings in ! i would not recommend doing so , much better putting a little boost on the engine in the lower gears every now and then to help seat the rings for the first 500 miles ....
A.Wayne is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:00 PM
  #55  
special tool
Banned
 
special tool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: limbo....
Posts: 8,599
Default

Originally Posted by A.Wayne View Post
Wow , really clean setup !
Heavy engine decel to break your rings in ! i would not recommend doing so , much better putting a little boost on the engine in the lower gears every now and then to help seat the rings for the first 500 miles ....

I agree with Weighin..

Give it a little boost, Tom and change engine speeds frequently..
special tool is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:19 PM
  #56  
CarbonRevo
Super User
 
CarbonRevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 2,285
Default

Wow, that's clean. I do agree on the comment about motor bays being deceiving. Mine is that way. Pretty spotless up top, but if you crawl underneath, you'll see the true story. lol
CarbonRevo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:02 AM
  #57  
Duke
Super User
 
Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 5,508
Default

Super clean!
And yes, give the little fellow a little boost
Duke is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:39 AM
  #58  
333pg333
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
333pg333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,437
Default

I guess 'Heavy' is well , heavy, but I always thought doing a little bit of backoff decel was part of run in, along with going up and down the limited rev range. Running on the spring should see a few lbs of boost anyway, yes?
333pg333 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:40 AM
  #59  
evil 944t
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
evil 944t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,526
Default

Originally Posted by special tool View Post
I agree with Weighin..

Give it a little boost, Tom and change engine speeds frequently..

Tom, Be careful. ST's idea of little boost is 28psi at 6600rpm, making 602rwhp, 5 hrs after his motor had a full rebuild.
evil 944t is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:38 PM
  #60  
Tom M'Guinn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thread Starter
 
Tom M'Guinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Just CA Now :)
Posts: 10,402
Default

Well, thanks alot guys! I turned up the boost like you said and it twisted the center right out of the tire...
Attached Images  
Tom M'Guinn is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turned the key on the 3 Liter...


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: