Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 10:53 AM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Another Gas Smell Issue

Ok,
Here's the problem. I've installed Russell's chips,3bar fuel reg,and a boost controller When at fullboost (15lbs) 3rd gear, I get a strong raw gas smell in the car. It doesn't happen in the lower gears and I don't know about the higher gears. Trying to think this through,I'm guessing either the injector seals are leaking or the fuel reg. is leaking at the rail. This didn't show up untill I installed the chips,3bar and the boost controller.So do I pull the injectors and send them to Whichhunter for a rebuild or do I mess with the fuel rail. I've got all winter to do this,as the car is put away untill April. Car has 58k on it but is still a 21 year old. TIA, FRED
Old 12-11-2007, 11:19 AM
bscpanther
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've give Russell the benefit of the doubt since it's impossible to know if the chips doing it's job without a wideband. No doubt your pushing more fuel now hence you'll notice the leak that was pre existant. The chips aren't going to cause a fuel leak and if you're leak free the only way you'll smell fuel is out the tail pipe under rich conditions. All high gear smell means the fumes are being blown into the cockpit at that speed. Time to invest in a wideband my friend and get under the hood and find the leak. More than likely it's your injectors.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:53 AM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your fuel rail...I had a similar smell coming into my cabin, and it turned out to be the rail. We could only tell once it was pressurized, though.

Jason
Old 12-11-2007, 12:24 PM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fuel rail leak is what I thinking also. Doesn't the fuel pressure increase with boost ?? Or is it always at 3bar nomatter what the boost is ?? Also when you change fuel regulators or injectors,does anyone put some kind of lube on the seals ?
Old 12-11-2007, 12:29 PM
bscpanther
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try to get the seals to do their job dry but I have put Hylomar on a tricky injector o ring that I couldn't get to seal for the life of me. It's a gasket sealer that will not dry. Very good stuff.

Quick Reply: Another Gas Smell Issue