Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

KW Variant 3 coilovers: A short review

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 03:13 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I haven't. I was just going with Patrick's love affair with his setup. I already ordered them, but I suppose I could return them.

What do you know about the Moton CS setup?

Thanks,

George
Old 08-17-2008, 03:29 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DVC
Thom- I don't recal a plastic self-lock? The hardware looks pretty stout but your second point is interesting.
Sorry, I missed the right word when I typed my previous post - Nylstop nuts were included in the 2 last KW kits I and two friends installed recently. A 3rd friend has Nylstop nuts in his kit as well.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:37 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

The two guys I've been told to get in touch with re KWs in the US are GLEN MESSENGER &/or TOM EDGE.
This was from the Aussie importer of KWs. This was also a while ago that I got this info, but hopefully one or both are still around. Travis I'm sorry to hear of your probs.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:34 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

hm I redid my kw comp setup before yesterdays trackday.. kickass baby nothing like passing everyone on the outside on a long turn, or inside on the way out.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:31 PM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Thom- Thanks for the clarification.

Patrick- No, please don't be sorry as I have no regrets! My only contention is that they won't allow me to buy a new unit and credit me when they receive the defective one. I don't think I'm asking too much. That's probably not so much KW as it is the importer.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:20 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

I would still try and contact one or both of those guys and say that you were recommended them by another KW agent or Germany, and that they should be able to help you. Surely your product is still under warranty anyway? I think this is poor service from the importer.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:25 AM
George D
Drifting

This is all I really give a hoot about. Glad to hear that you like the setup. I can't wait to get it installed with my new Poly Bronze and Derlin stuff. We got the entire rear suspension out today. We did it in about two hours with two of us working.

We'll get the front out this week after work. Funny to see my car without anything under her rear end. Not very fast at the moment. We started the car with the exhaust out after the cat delete. Sounds nasty........

George

Originally Posted by anders44
hm I redid my kw comp setup before yesterdays trackday.. kickass baby nothing like passing everyone on the outside on a long turn, or inside on the way out.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:35 PM
sly_alex
Intermediate

I've a little problem with my KW, on 1000km the camber increase itself.

So I make a camber ajustement, when I disassembled the excentric bolt, I see that the wascher was deformed by the round part on the bold. This cause probably less tightening and let the camber play on hard load.

I use now original new porsche bolt (which is a bit shorter), washer and nuts and notice any problem ;-)
Old 09-03-2008, 02:40 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Is yours the car with the new engine in it that I saw on the PCGB forum? If so, nice job Alex! How do you find it with such a big turbo, much lag? Where do you get 1 bar, 3500rpm?
Old 09-03-2008, 04:58 PM
sly_alex
Intermediate

Yes, it's mine

1bar at 4000tr

I love the big turbo, it need just tu run the car with more tr/min, and there isn't a big difference with the K26#8
Old 09-13-2008, 08:57 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DVC
George- Have you considered the Moton Club Sports?

KW USA is being a PIA to work with. Despite this being my only car and my ride to work, they will not allow me to purchase a new unit so that I may R&R same day, and ship the defective unit back for a credit, thus eliminating down time. I'm also hearing their turn-around time can take months.

Thom- I don't recal a plastic self-lock? The hardware looks pretty stout but your second point is interesting.
Hmmm...I was looking into KW's, but, considering that you were told that the service, by KW was, well ****ty, and then this happens, no amount of "ride quality" is worth dealing with this lack of service. Sorry this happened to you...but thanks for reporting on it. I won't touch this company with a ten foot pole.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:40 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I was wondering if anything ever came of this issue? I'm looking at what suspension to buy and KW3s were up high on the list.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:30 PM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
I was wondering if anything ever came of this issue? I'm looking at what suspension to buy and KW3s were up high on the list.
In regards to my issue? I can still align it just fine so never sent them back. That was the kicker, KW would only support me if I sent it back to them. This being my only ride to work and no spare struts, I just stuck with it. Check out AutoTalent for the best price and support.

The V3 is a really nice setup and a good compromise. I would buy the kit again in an instant. I would also consider the Moton ClubSports.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:44 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Trying to figure out what else i need to order for my suspension. I am going to run V3's with torsion bar delete. Is it necessary to replace the lower coil over bushing with a spherical so i can run the Racers Edge style lower shock bolt? Seems like most people leave the KW supplied bolt, but makes me wonder if its safe to do. Would much rather delete the torsion bars for simplicity sake.

Last edited by Techno Duck; 12-13-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:46 PM
cb951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Trying to figure out what else i need to order for my suspension. I am going to run V3's with torsion bar delete. Is it necessary to replace the lower coil over bushing with a spherical so i can run the Racers Edge style lower shock bolt? Seems like most people leave the KW supplied bolt, but makes me wonder if its safe to do. Would much rather delete the torsion bars for simplicity sake.
Jon,
What spring rates are you going to use? (Standard V3 kit comes with 340/285, but if you're going to delete the TBs, you'd need a stiffer rear spring, as I'm sure you know.) Do you know how much of a spring-rate range the standard valving allows?

If you don't mind my asking, what's your source and price for the KWs? I thought I had a source online with a price of $1795.50. Had it in the cart and checked out. Asked them to verify that it was #35271010. Got an email that it was the right application listed in the cart, but the wrong part # in their order process. (I was never presented with a part #. Just their application wizzard.)

Don't know about the rear lower shock bolt, but I'd have the same question if I were going to delete TBs. The KW bolt looks similar to the RE, and I assume it's TUV approved, but it warrants consideration. I'd probably get the RE, just for peace of mind.

Are you going to use adjustable camber plates, fixed monoball mounts (not sure what the point is, if it's not adjustable), or stock rubber? I plan on sticking with some new rubber mounts, since it's a daily driver.

I'd also plan on replacing hardware (bolts, nuts, etc.), along with bushings. I've read that the rear spring plate bushings take a lot of abuse when the TB isn't there. Many recommend the polybronze bushings, but they're expensive.

And on and on...

Quick Reply: KW Variant 3 coilovers: A short review