a few parts I wish someone would make

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 05:01 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bscpanther
Ryan, you're not helping me here. No I'm kidding. I know there are plenty of arguments against it. Going back to what I said at first. I could be wrong... but I'm being optimistic for now. BTW thanks for changing your scary avatar. This one is much more...
Yeah... I agree money can be save IF you do it youself, but I don't see how any vendor could actually put one into production for allot cheaper than they already are.

That said, 380 sure would SOUND allot better than $400..
Old 11-30-2007, 05:18 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am the type of guy that if i can safe money and go the extra mile to do it then I will. You can ask anybody here. Sheeet thats the reason reason why i do my own work and work on other peoples car to save money and get money, but there is just somethings i am willing to pay extra and i dont mind it because 1 i am doing my own work which is automattically paying for the part it self (100 hr labor) I konw i use to work a porsche shop and if you can get it cheaper than that i would check twice, so technically it comes out for free, 2 tools are for free because i made my on them years ago, 3 they already when thru the hassle of making it fit and all the troubles that comes with it. So its a win win thing you can't lose. Just because your doing the work your self that part is basically for free.

Look at that guy who paid over 5k for head gasket job and timing belt job. I did my headgasket in the middle of Nelson ledges with basic tools nothing fancy i didnt deck the head nor block reused everything autozone/homedeopt exhaust nuts and bolts for like 200 bucks with the help of boost doc. just from that iam saving almost a G. the money thats I am saving is going to go to my exhaust. BTW my car now runs better lol and i make good *** power.

So dont worry about spending extra in some places your saving it by doing other things and doing the job your self.

Or you can be like Lart and own a Honda S2000 with type R v-tec when you can grab everything from Ebay
Old 11-30-2007, 05:22 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by lart951
I ran 21-25psi on my T04e for almost 4 years without any blown hg on California 91 pump gas. No myth spray or water injection. The block from my car was use by special tool to break 600rwhp also he re use my4 year old head gasket.

Here is a dyno of my car at only 19psi,
Yeah and don't forget, Lart made over 300whp on a k26/6 and nothing else so I think we know who is the real SUPA TUNA!!!!
Old 11-30-2007, 05:22 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Evil944T, I respect that you think it cant be done. I like that you included the machine shop lights and hours and etc. however should we be including the cost of the machinist's breakfast too? Seriously, he can't do his job without breakfast. POINT being you have to draw the line somewhere. I just don't like where it's been drawn for one reason or another. MOre importantly you forgot to divide the cost of those expenses by X amount of parts a vendor sells. But thats not really the way it works because I can buy certain parts which I know have a very different (less) mark up. Perhaps most importantly I would hope at least we can be open minded about this so we don't end up being hypocrits, because I know when someone does make a quality intake or DP for less you're not going to be turning your head becuase you feel like they haven't made their cut.
lol, this isn't a brotherhood thing. IT IS WHAT IT IS. The 321 u-bend is $100+ shipping, 1 - 1/2" plate of 321SS depends on how much you buy but $85minimum(most metal shops won't sell such a low quantity), the 2 - 1/2" thick water jet cut flanges are $100+ shipping, time to pick it up/drop off because not many mills like cutting 1.5" 321 SS. Welding rod, gas for back purging etc..

Thats for 1 set! No breakfast or hourly wage or skills or equipement. Should we not charge for that?

GOOD LUCK.

IF IT HAPPENS, You'll never see me turn my head. You will see me open my wallet and buy one because its cheaper than I can do it. I have no problem with that. If its something you want to tackle, let me know when your done. perhaps I'll buy one.

You are living in a fantasy world. Your comparing a hobby to a business. This is a very limited market. Hondas and p-cars, apple and oranges. The only way it could be done is if someone casts 100 of them. Will you buy 70 of them because I can't see more than 30 people buying them.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:24 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Evil944T, I respect that you think it cant be done. I like that you included the machine shop lights and hours and etc. however should we be including the cost of the machinist's breakfast too? Seriously, he can't do his job without breakfast. POINT being you have to draw the line somewhere. I just don't like where it's been drawn for one reason or another. MOre importantly you forgot to divide the cost of those expenses by X amount of parts a vendor sells. But thats not really the way it works because I can buy certain parts which I know have a very different (less) mark up. Perhaps most importantly I would hope at least we can be open minded about this so we don't end up being hypocrits, because I know when someone does make a quality intake or DP for less you're not going to be turning your head becuase you feel like they haven't made their cut.
The easiest way to quieten the hordes is to just do it of course. Good luck.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:25 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
The easiest way to quieten the hordes is to just do it of course. Good luck.
Ding Ding Ding, We have a winner!!!
Old 11-30-2007, 05:43 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Yeah and don't forget, Lart made over 300whp on a k26/6 and nothing else so I think we know who is the real SUPA TUNA!!!!
I didn't even have a turbo
Old 11-30-2007, 06:38 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

there are compromises to I'm set for DC TIG at home for $600 so i will do my exhaust but inlet but i will spend a day or 2 jigsawing it out after looking at everyone else's and pay 100 to have it welded .
there realy are pleanty of options even in a backwater county with 10% your population.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:40 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Umf2Dl0bfY

$475

Yea, we don't get ripped off here in the Porsche world :/
-Fishey

http://www.jmfabrications.com/catalo...&reviews_id=10
Old 12-01-2007, 07:54 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Hey cool vid in that Youtube link. Some of the guys who think it's easy should just look at that. I wonder on the 'Boxy' design of the plenum though? I don't know enough to say otherwise but I'd be concerned of the even flow to all the cylinders. I'm prepared to be illuminated though.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:05 AM
Diver944
Pro

Nice video, but it proves that an intake only takes 7 minutes to make, so lets say your labour rate is $200 an hour so it's only $20 plus materials
Old 12-01-2007, 08:06 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

That's so easy I could do that intake with my black & decker drill and reciprocal saw in my garage.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:30 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fishey
$475

Yea, we don't get ripped off here in the Porsche world :/
-Fishey

http://www.jmfabrications.com/catalo...&reviews_id=10
OMG your so right, I feel like a complete jerk. Thanks for another RL apples to apples comparison.

Someone please call JMF and find out how many they made and have to sell to be able to offer them at $475. Also ask them how much that mill costs. Oh wait, I forgot we are not supposed to charge for machine usage, that should all be on the shops dime..

Why doesn't someone produce one and let us all know how to do it. I'm done with my rant, continue posting..
Old 12-01-2007, 11:49 AM
George D
Drifting

This is from JMF's website. Pricing on this unit is fairly close to what we can get intakes for. SFR intakes start at $949 and LR starts at $1099. JMF will sell hundreds more of their intakes in their market over what SFR, LR, and other vendors will sell for the 951 cars. Porsche stuff will always cost more than the rice performance manufacturers. Paying a few hundred bucks more is simply what the market will bear, plus the intakes for 951's use much more material than the 2.0 cars. Call JMF and ask them what they would charge to COPY one of the intakes from SFR or LR. You will be surprised at what they will charge. You will find that we are getting a great product for a fair price.

EVO 7/8/9 Sheetmetal Intake Manifold
- Additional Injector Bungs NO
- Extra Vacuum Port (5 standard) +0
- NOS Bungs NO
- OEM Map Sensor Mount YES
- Polished YES
- Throttle Body Flange Stock
$700.00
Old 12-01-2007, 03:57 PM
bscpanther
Racer

please stop, you guys are hurting my feelings, no of course not. Hey Dave, "YOU LIVE IN A FANTASY WORLD!"......um.... yeah it didn't do much for me either. You have to look at my perspective. I'm reading this from someone with what looks like their superhero as an avatar. Not exactly an argument I would try to make but I'm sure it's just me. A few of you guys shouldn't try so hard to make enemies, it's not worth the trouble. I'm all about sharing information and even disagreeing but I don't get talking crap to someone you don't know. Should I be crying right now? On a serious note, Dave did you get beat up alot with a mouth like that... if not it's probably because you do all your trash talking in your "fantasy world". Lets just stick to what were good at. I'll keep brain storming for new and different ways to benifit the P-community and you think of some good come back lines. Don't be sad if I don't respond.

Quick Reply: a few parts I wish someone would make