Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Low HP reading at Dyno yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 01:59 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One thing to check, to get back to the lack of power topic, is the blowoff/recirculation valve. I have seen them go up to 15 psi then immediately drop to around 10psi and stay which is about what power your at.

You should make sure it is in 4th though.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:03 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

@15 psi my car did 260rwhp and 262rwtq with a k-26, guru chips & guru wastegate but the engine blow up a month later
Old 11-28-2007, 02:09 AM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorax
Forgive me for ignorance... but what is the point of having someone else drive your car on the dyno?
I work at a dyno shop and its a liability thing. The owners arent allowed in or very near the car.

That being said, I don't like being in a customers car when it breaks.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:41 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by R4][N_M4l{3R
I work at a dyno shop and its a liability thing. The owners arent allowed in or very near the car.

That being said, I don't like being in a customers car when it breaks.
I guess I'm lucky that my dyno shop doesnt care at all lol.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:05 AM
Geneqco
Pro

Originally Posted by beab951
Torque and RPM cross at 5250 RPM so the max RPM on the chart was around 6K, had to be a third gear run since you were below 100MPH.
I think you are looking at HP and Boost crossing, not TQ.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:05 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by lart951
@15 psi my car did 260rwhp and 262rwtq with a k-26, guru chips & guru wastegate but the engine blow up a month later
See, this just exemplifies what we ROW's say about US dyno's. There's no way that a k26/6 with just chips and gate could do 260whp. That is 300crank when the stock one brand new at it's peak did 220hp.
Just as an example, with a 3.0L conversion, Vitesse stage 5 kit, modified inlet, larger exhaust, large frontmount i/c did 275whp. Now granted this is on a notoriously low reading dyno. We think as this guy races vintage cars that he reads low so as not to get any weight penalties, however add 20% (which is outlandish) and you still only get 330 at the wheels. This was with the standard head/cam (not with the CEP racehead/cam) and I hope to dyno the system as a whole once I get the interim 3.0L block, but everyone in the US was saying that with those mods I should be seeing min. 350-400whp. Let me tell you folks, nowhere near. To be fair, I did have the occasional glitch that cut everything off mid burst, but this was not common, and apart from that, the car pulled like a rocket. So it certainly didn't feel weak. Yet there you have it 275whp, 4th gear, all those mods. I would bet a small fortune that if I was to teleport the car on that same day to a US dyno, that it would pull way higher figures. Hey that may have happened had I gone to another Aussie dyno too. I will try that when we're back on the road again too, just to satisfy all concerned.
Now I'm not the only one who has noticed this. To be honest, and no disrespect intended, most of us are at a loss to explain why US cars get such high dyno reads compared to cars with similar mods??
Go figure. This will open a can of worms, as it has in the past, but where there's smoke there's fire. This is from many countries around the world that just can't understand why there is so much difference. Of course you can load up a dyno to read virtually anything you want, but what gives???
I think that WW's 200whp with a k26/6 sounds not that far from reality. May be a glitch somewhere, but a approx. 10% rise in power from stock seems about right.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:17 AM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by 333pg333
See, this just exemplifies what we ROW's say about US dyno's. There's no way that a k26/6 with just chips and gate could do 260whp. That is 300crank when the stock one brand new at it's peak did 220hp.
Just as an example, with a 3.0L conversion, Vitesse stage 5 kit, modified inlet, larger exhaust, large frontmount i/c did 275whp. Now granted this is on a notoriously low reading dyno. We think as this guy races vintage cars that he reads low so as not to get any weight penalties, however add 20% (which is outlandish) and you still only get 330 at the wheels. This was with the standard head/cam (not with the CEP racehead/cam) and I hope to dyno the system as a whole once I get the interim 3.0L block, but everyone in the US was saying that with those mods I should be seeing min. 350-400whp. Let me tell you folks, nowhere near. To be fair, I did have the occasional glitch that cut everything off mid burst, but this was not common, and apart from that, the car pulled like a rocket. So it certainly didn't feel weak. Yet there you have it 275whp, 4th gear, all those mods. I would bet a small fortune that if I was to teleport the car on that same day to a US dyno, that it would pull way higher figures. Hey that may have happened had I gone to another Aussie dyno too. I will try that when we're back on the road again too, just to satisfy all concerned.
Now I'm not the only one who has noticed this. To be honest, and no disrespect intended, most of us are at a loss to explain why US cars get such high dyno reads compared to cars with similar mods??
Go figure. This will open a can of worms, as it has in the past, but where there's smoke there's fire. This is from many countries around the world that just can't understand why there is so much difference. Of course you can load up a dyno to read virtually anything you want, but what gives???
I think that WW's 200whp with a k26/6 sounds not that far from reality. May be a glitch somewhere, but a approx. 10% rise in power from stock seems about right.

Patrick - you say "granted" like its a minor thing about the cutoff.
That is a HUUUGE problem.
All of the timing is removed and turbo momentum is lost and its indicative of a car that is really ****ed up!
This is not a minor glitch.
And you say it pulled like a rocket?
What is your basis for comparison?
What type of 500 or more RWHP car have you driven?

You know how this looks when you insinuate an entire nation is wrong and in the same paragraph you say your car cut off???

I wish you could come up here and drive my car, so you could see how a proper, modern 951 goes - you would **** your pants.

Please, do me a favor.
Take the car to someone who knows them, and THEN dyno the car at 20 psi, THEN make an EDUCATED statement about engine testing.

And I hope we are still on for our dinner date Saturday night.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:28 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

What, you set your alarm for this? What time is it there? I thought you may be the first to respond, or A Wayne, but you're right in that the car did have a glitch, but I'm telling you it pulled damn hard when this glitch didn't happen. I don't have much experience with a 500+whp car either so you're right again, but it was much stronger than my 2.5L with chips and 22 psi so I dunno what to say?? I am also reflecting what every other nation thinks about US dynos to a greater or lesser degree. I know that there is no way of making this sound anything but belittling, but that's not my intention. Equally, there is no way that Lart's car with chips and a wastegate was getting 260whp unless it was run at 30+psi and even then I don't think that the K26/6 would support this so what can I say.
I am not doubting your recent success nor am I having a go at the entire US nation...god forbid, wars have started for less and we've just thrown out our US supporting Govt. so please don't attack us. lol
As for our dinner date, I'll be wearing a pink carnation in my lapel and I believe I'm to look for a solid specimen carrying a polish sausage?? Is that right?
Old 11-28-2007, 08:41 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Oh and even without the racehead/cam I was able to comfortably pull away from an supercharged Aston Martin DB9 and a 996 Carrera down the main straight at the track so I'm guessing that my 275whp was ok? The glitch was not something that drained my power across the board ( or at least it didn't feel like it did) it was something that went, BANG!! Full WOT high gears 4000rpm flat out, BANG!! Total electrical cut out or so it felt. We did some testing and process of elimination but never found the culprit and never had the chance before the last failure. It was very intermittent and unpredictable. See what happens when the short block arrives and we put it all together again?
Old 11-28-2007, 08:45 AM
special tool
Banned

Oh and even without the racehead/cam I was able to comfortably pull away from an supercharged Aston Martin DB9 and a 996 Carrera down the main straight at the track so I'm guessing that my 275whp was ok?

Just wait till you have the mechanicals in harmony, then your dyno will show the same numbers, I promise.
A 996 NA is not even in the same league as an open (street) 951 with good modern stuff.
He should feel your wake as you pass him down the straight, not just a walk away.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:49 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Hope so. Those guys didn't even acknowledge me that day with all their expensive toys. The only guy that was faster was a guy with a race setup Lotus and only just. I was having way too much understeer that day too. Look foward to seeing him again with the 3.0L all happening. The other thing coming will leave him in my wake though........................................
Old 11-28-2007, 08:56 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

I just had a thought. A certain mutual friend may just make it down under next year if he can prise himself away from what would seem a likely busier schedule looking at recent events, and I will take him and my car to an Aussie dyno and he can play with it as much as he wants to see what may be the difference. Probably the safest place for him to drive a RHD car too. lol
Old 11-28-2007, 09:49 AM
special tool
Banned

I just had a thought. A certain mutual friend may just make it down under next year if he can prise himself away from what would seem a likely busier schedule looking at recent events, and I will take him and my car to an Aussie dyno and he can play with it as much as he wants to see what may be the difference. Probably the safest place for him to drive a RHD car too. lol
Don't let that guy anywhere NEAR your car!!!!

He runs marathons wthout training - obviously lacking in judgement.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:55 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As for our dinner date, I'll be wearing a pink carnation in my lapel and I believe I'm to look for a solid specimen carrying a polish sausage?? Is that right?
Don't get excited, its like a hotdog in a hallway.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:59 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by special tool
Please, do me a favor.
Take the car to someone who knows them, and THEN dyno the car at 20 psi, THEN make an EDUCATED statement about engine testing.

And I hope we are still on for our dinner date Saturday night.
Dude, calm down. Next thing you know, your cap lock will get turned on. Go pull that motor out of the you know what.. I need an oil pan..

Patrick, don't get upset. ST is unstable.

Quick Reply: Low HP reading at Dyno yesterday