Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Wastegate Rebuilding need input Thanks New Pics !!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 03:08 AM
davepnola
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No just pics in the living room... Anyway the holes are definetly not dilled, They are where the diaphragm is creased to flex back and forth. I do not think these wastegates are aluminum, seems to be heavy. I would say cast steel on the bottom, stainless mix on the top.

Ok still where can I buy a diaphragm that will work ?? (and not for 100.00$) I do not think it has to be exactly the same , but pretty close. Plus since it will be true dual gate having opposing presure to control the valve, I would think the flex of the diaphragm would not have to be as much ?? Thanks
Old 11-30-2007, 03:37 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In europe original WG's has been rebuild for years. At least in UK & Sweden are companies who has done this.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:09 AM
davepnola
Racer

Please find me where I can purchase the diaphragm. Thanks
Old 11-30-2007, 10:47 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

dude save your self the hassle and buy a tial you never again have to worry about it and you can hold more boost.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:05 AM
davepnola
Racer

Still looking for a wastegate diaphragm ,, anyone ???????
Old 12-03-2007, 12:23 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need one too, the tial is a bit on the expensive side
Old 12-03-2007, 12:44 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by reno808
dude save your self the hassle and buy a tial you never again have to worry about it and you can hold more boost.
Thats not what Patrick said
"My tial jammed shut and I saw over 30psi at the track with a helmet on and couldn't hear the engine trying to explode. Lucky to drive home that day. Have a LDPWG since, no probs."

Tials are good, but there are equally good wastegates out there. Remember Tials have a Diaphragm too that will eventually wear out.
Somebody posted a non diaphragm wastegate on here a while back. Looked like the way forward
Old 12-04-2007, 01:52 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I went ahead and did this to mine.

I wasn't going to do it b/c with the turbo I am using (T4 .58 ar P trim hotside BIG)I figured the backpressure in the crossover would be minimal. It is to an extent but, after doing this mod I had to completly readjust my MBC.

W/O the dual port it was runnignup to 22 psi and holding a rock solid 20 to redline with the MBC set to bleed a little .

Now with the dual port setup... it right away ran ...well not sure b/c the guage couldn't readthat far... but It was pointing completely down. If the same increment values were used it would most likely be about 27 psi.

I only did that for one quick burst then adjusted the MBC. Now it holds a rock steady... whatever .. I put it to. Currently set at 22 psi (actually it goes up to about 24 momentarily then down to 22).

I would say this is a A+ mod

the only thing I will add to what has been mentioned, is that I used a 3/16" tall piece of copper tube to seal between the diaphram housing and the valve housing. I did the same type setup by drilling and tapping a 1/8" nipple into the bottom side of the diaphram housing. I usedself tapping screws to seal the 4 holes. Then tested the seal with and air blow gun.

I was looking for a Tial but this works very well

Thanks for the idea I think I just saved a bit of $$

Quick Reply: Wastegate Rebuilding need input Thanks New Pics !!