Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Are 944 Turbos at a Disadvantage in PCA Club Racing?

Old 11-27-2007, 02:25 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you ever take this guy( Under Pressure) swimming, I hope he can swim cause he would grab at anything to stay afloat.

I have seen and read it ALL!!!

I cannot belive this guy. I don't "flip flop". what the hell are you doing here.

Don't ever send this guy to the fruit stand to buy apples. He'll come back with oranges.

BTW, if a 38L 4V Cup engine makes 435BHP I wonder what a 3.4L version would make? If a 3.8L 4V RSR engine makes 485BHP I wonder what a 3.4L version would make? And these are 07 numbers quoted as well. I would love to know who's runing an 07 version of either engine in GT3. Even an earlier one. If this is the case, should be easy to spot the modified chassis with water cooling.

Now I'm going to have to rethink my choices. Damn, I thought I had it all done and this comes along.

New idea. I've decided to go into politics. The BS is less and the stories are smaller!!
Old 11-27-2007, 03:02 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new RSR is 485 crank HP at what 9,000 RPM?

Gomes - please post a dyno, no names necessary.
We know that you have a Dynojet 248 in your shop.
Surely you must have 911 tests.

I am not saying you don't.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:03 PM
Under Pressure Performance
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff, sorry if there were not any direct references to whether I meant air cooled or water cooled - I just assumed we were all talking air cooled all along. Again, give me a call sometime and we can catch up and talk shop.

A.Wayne, frankly I am getting tired and bored with your antics, and I am pretty close to just ignoring your responses, but rather than just doing that, I will address for the last time your silliness.

You wrote,
"Scott, you made the claim of 400 whp 3.4l engine , not I . I'm pushing no buttons , but would like to continue what has turned out to be a very interesting discourse."

Since it has become a discourse, it has likely been more important to you and I, than the majority of those reading this thread. That said, out of respect for our fellow Rennlisters, I invite you to continue this discussion offline. Perhaps you can give me a call sometime, or better yet, I will pick up the cost of the call if you would forward (PM) me a contact number and best time to call.

But first, I feel I do need to quickly address just a couple more things...

You wrote,
"Regarding your 400 whp 3.4L aircooled 911 engines , most here feel, that it does not exist and i'm willing to wager , you cannot produce for a dyno pull one that does. What is even more interesting is you are now comparing an 3.8 RSR air cooled engine to a 997 RSR engine ? Do you have any experiences with these cars. Scott, dyno work , etc."

Well, for starters, quite frankly, it does not matter to me how many, if any, believe that 400 RWHP air cooled 911's exists - That was not the topic they came to participate in, nor does anyone seem to really care one way or the other beside you for whatever reason, and Jeff for completely valid reasons. But again, this is a subject all its own.

There are a couple of things you should consider though...

First, the many, if not most, of the folks that are club racing at the top are secretive about what they have, how much power they make and so on. Second, if I were to produce a dyno sheet, I am sure (judging by your antics thus far) it would be discredited, misinterpreted, disputed, and spun into some other tangent - So, request denied. Again, YOU do not have to believe they exist, I frankly don't care.

You also wrote,
"More in line with your 944 T work and with all due respect, do you have any 951 results , we can look at, dyno numbers, track records, race wins, laps times at different tracks , say Sebring , Daytona, Road Atlanta etc, i mean anywhere,, anything against these 400 whp 3.4L aircooled 911 beasties, flying around in PCA. I mean gives us a race , a name, a lap time , anything to go on to legitimize your position on this."

Nice distraction. Do your homework before you embarrass yourself. For the time being, I will let this one go.

Is this an attempt to distract from the fact that so far you have not indicated, one way or the other, whether you own a Porsche (any Porsche), race a Porsche, built a Porsche, tuned a Porsche. Or raced, tuned, built, or DE anything whatsoever. I have gone back and read some of your past threads, and I am yet to find reference to anything that indicates you own, let alone race, a Porsche of any variation (Admittedly, I did not spend much time looking, but a quick glance through some posts yielded nothing) You are, however, a big fan of F1, which does indicate, to a certain level, a passion for racing.

So, once more, you have decided to shy away from these questions, and I am wondering what compels you to pose your arguments about rule changes, power potentials, and engine statistics. This was not meant to be a shot at you, it was meant to get an understanding of how you were affected by the rule changes, if at all. As I have said in the past, you are definitely a passionate Porschephile, and/or a passionate fan of racing in general, that's cool by me, but aside from that, do these changes affect you directly, in any way? If so, how? <-------- Discussing that would be more in line with this thread, surely others would agree.

While I enjoyed some of the exchanges between you and I, and while I stand firm on my positions, and you on yours, it is an overdue notion that this thread get back, and remain, on course.

That said, if you really want to debate with me any further on the validity of ANY of my points, my credentials, my work, or past or current projects, then I invite you to do your homework first, then give me a call and we can talk about that subject all you want.

Frankly, I am convinced that all the talk about the 3.4L has taken its course, and there is little left to debate here. Discussing this any further in this thread will only result in additional torture for the rest of those reading. Again, we can talk about this all you want offline. Both of our our positions are well documented, and leave little room for interpretation.

You can contact me directly at 508-989-3970 anytime till midnight EST - After business hours, my calls are forwarded to my cell phone, so I am available more often than not. Alternatively, PM your number and a best time to call an I will pick up the tab for the call.

Again, thanks to all for reading.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Under Pressure Performance
Instructor

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
To clarify:
scott claims 400 whp from 3.4L, that is 475 BHP my: position not possible

3.8 L RSR engines make 400-425 BHP , that is what i have seen from experience.
3.4L engines i would say tops maybe 380 bhp out of a sprint engine on the avg 365 bhp or 310 whp again this is top tier, not the average
In a later post m42racer wrote...
"BTW, if a 38L 4V Cup engine makes 435BHP I wonder what a 3.4L version would make? If a 3.8L 4V RSR engine makes 485BHP I wonder what a 3.4L version would make? And these are 07 numbers quoted as well. I would love to know who's runing an 07 version of either engine in GT3. Even an earlier one. If this is the case, should be easy to spot the modified chassis with water cooling."

Was that meant to paraphrase any of my statements? If so, I do not believe a came remotely close to insinuating any of it. I simply stated the "current" 3.8L RSR engine makes 485 BHP. A.Wayne only referenced the engine as a 3.8L RSR. And I then stated the "current" 3.8L RSR engine makes 485 BHP.

Anyway, I am not sure how any of this has anything to do with whether or not 944T's are at a disadvantage in PCA club racing (the topic of this thread) - While I do understand how the discussion took a tangent, how about we get back on path. I have already conceded defeat to A.Wayne and anyone else that wants to argue about the power potential of a 3.4L - Like I said, you win, it can't be done, you are right...... Now can we move on?
Old 11-27-2007, 04:21 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Scott,
what can i say , I would have thought giving the rest of us an idea of when and at what race track you had encountered one of these beasties , that it would benefit everyone here, I can understand customer confidentiality , but PCA race records are not, it would have been nice to know at least one track where the 944T would have to fear these 911's.

Ok , we will play the flip side, does anyone here have an idea who has the fastest 911 in GT3 or give me the name of at least 1 or 2 of the top running 911's in GT3 so we can continue this discussion 911 VS 944T ...
Old 11-27-2007, 04:25 PM
1Qk944turbo
Intermediate

CVR- Chris Musante. Always in the top 3. PCA club race at the glen, Zippo at the Glen when I am not there. I just know of him at the Glen. Sorry..
Old 11-27-2007, 04:30 PM
1Qk944turbo
Intermediate

Actually, he is very fast there. I think his best time there is a 02:02.300 or something like that.

I think its on mylaps.

Rj
Old 11-27-2007, 04:49 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the response, Musante is fast , but his best lap at the glen is 2+ seconds slower than the best 944T, the last time i saw him at Sebring was in 05, when we where last there for PCA and he was 3-4 seconds a lap slower than the 944T's running that day at the point , in 06 he was 4 seconds slower than Roy , I have seen how much time he loses on the back straight at Sebring , there is no way his car is 400 WHP, so there is some other beasties hanging out there, we need to find out about. Chris Musante is very fast at the Glenn , He is a good driver ....
Old 11-27-2007, 05:03 PM
1Qk944turbo
Intermediate

Thats right he is fast. Musante drives the pants off that car. It is hard to judge cars on lap times because it is hard to be consistant lap after lap. His times are really on par thou. The best race I had was with him at the Zippo last year. There were a few lead changes and it was neck and neck for the first 3/4 of the race. In the end I think he realized that he could not get me on the straights, so he tucked in for a 2nd place finish. But boy, he really made me work for that win.

RJ
Old 11-27-2007, 05:06 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1Qk944turbo
Thats right he is fast. Musante drives the pants off that car. It is hard to judge cars on lap times because it is hard to be consistant lap after lap. His times are really on par thou. The best race I had was with him at the Zippo last year. There were a few lead changes and it was neck and neck for the first 3/4 of the race. In the end I think he realized that he could not get me on the straights, so he tucked in for a 2nd place finish. But boy, he really made me work for that win.

RJ
RJ,

That being said, What type of HP do you think he has, over 400rwhp?(btw,good job),
Old 11-27-2007, 06:20 PM
1Qk944turbo
Intermediate

I am not really sure but I would guess between 325 to 350 to the ground. Sorry 325 to 350 rwhp? Most likely somewhere in that range.

1972 911 weight between 1850 to 2000 lbs ( without driver )

Musante lbs- between 170 to 185 lbs ( would be better if he was 235lbs) LOL
displacement- 3.3l according to SVRA zippo Time sheet dated 9/8/2006
fastest lap during race Zippo 02:03.400

I would say that anywhere in that range is the correct rwhp 325 to 350
Old 11-27-2007, 06:20 PM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

A.Wayne how hard is it to go to pca.org and look at the results for yourself. I did and found 3 races where 944T's won GT3 for the whole season, and a 4th was the only car entered. Gee now I can see the reason for the rule change 911's got beat a few times. It's all clear now.
Dude by the way we are still waiting to hear about your racing resume. Come on I can't sit still!!!
Old 11-27-2007, 06:22 PM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

To be clear these results were for 2007.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:06 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1Qk944turbo
I am not really sure but I would guess between 325 to 350 to the ground. Sorry 325 to 350 rwhp? Most likely somewhere in that range.

1972 911 weight between 1850 to 2000 lbs ( without driver )

Musante lbs- between 170 to 185 lbs ( would be better if he was 235lbs) LOL
displacement- 3.3l according to SVRA zippo Time sheet dated 9/8/2006
fastest lap during race Zippo 02:03.400

I would say that anywhere in that range is the correct rwhp 325 to 350

I would agree RJ , I would guess 300-325 whp ,for Musante .
Tim Mc kenzie in GT4 runs faster lap times than Musante @ Sebring with a 2.8 in a 914 , Timmy is also another fast driver and he does get around Sebring in his 914. I bet his setup is 2000 lbs with driver.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:39 PM
Arktech 968
3rd Gear

Tim's car weight 2050 without driver. He makes 325 hp at the flywheel and this equates to 2:15 fastest lap at Sebring. Whatever the rules the most important performance gain is from the nut behind the wheel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are 944 Turbos at a Disadvantage in PCA Club Racing?