Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

16v Head on 3.0 8v Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 06:35 PM
mikeroz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nick,
If I was you I'd send your 968 engine over to the States and get a complete ready to go one built up by Chris White or SFR or someone of that pedigree. Something that's ready to go. That way you can possibly sell your 8v as a complete motor. Believe me I've had so many bits sent over from the States separately the post alone has cost me an arm and a leg. 21 months on shed loads of money and I still don't have a complete car. Get it all done in one go from someone who can knock it out quickly, also you shouldn't even have to shell out the readies until it's crated up and ready for shipping if you're lucky In the meantime you can carry on enjoying your 8v and not get withdrawal symptoms like me.
Better get saving Nick and hope that the £ strengthens against the dollar.
All the best.
Mike
Old 11-29-2008, 06:44 PM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mikeroz
Nick,
If I was you I'd send your 968 engine over to the States and get a complete ready to go one built up by Chris White or SFR or someone of that pedigree. Something that's ready to go. That way you can possibly sell your 8v as a complete motor. Believe me I've had so many bits sent over from the States separately the post alone has cost me an arm and a leg. 21 months on shed loads of money and I still don't have a complete car. Get it all done in one go from someone who can knock it out quickly, also you shouldn't even have to shell out the readies until it's crated up and ready for shipping if you're lucky In the meantime you can carry on enjoying your 8v and not get withdrawal symptoms like me.
Better get saving Nick and hope that the £ strengthens against the dollar.
All the best.
Mike
Send it to me... I'll take care of it
On serious note, Sending it to the US will save you tons especially since you're paying in pounds!!
Do it once, do it right, do it all!
just my $0.02
Old 11-29-2008, 09:11 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Mike

I would not even consider doing that now. The engines Simon builds are as good as any I have ever come across so I would not trade it for anything! It was just a question to see if it could be done. I now have a Milledge cam to go with the 8v head and will see how it works. No need to build a whole new engine just to do 16v! If I did build a 16v from scratch I would get Simon to build it anyway but thats not cost effective for the increase in top end power. I have a feeling once I am done with the new cam and the last bits I have to add that the car will be just how I want it as I have come a long way since I made this original post. After all there is only so much the chassis and gearbox can take.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:04 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

I have seen no evdence that it is worth sending an engine to the US unless you live in mexico.
the blocks are flimsey the cranks are heavy its not wichcraft .
The USA can supply some parts cheaper but they can't work as cost effectivly as my local guys and they whould have to do some thing amazing to justify the shipping cost .
i mean no disrepect but work done 10% more expensive coupled with massive shippng cost and currncy conversion meens a USA motor needs to be 50% better as it costs 50% more .

a one way deal perhaps I would consider Buying a built motor outright from the US that some one was bailing from but shipping both ways is just to much
Old 11-30-2008, 06:49 AM
mikeroz
Advanced

Nick,
I didn't notice the date of your original post.
I wasn't questioning Simon's engine building credentials, but was suggesting that a better package deal might have been achievable from someone who's doing 16v all the time. Also they would have things like inlet plenums and exhaust manifolds (headers) more or less off the shelf (ie jigs made up to bash them out), accepting of course any LHD to RHD issues on headers of course (you don't need to tell me about that do you!).
I'm sure your new cam will work a treat. If you fancy solid lifters for it and don't want to go the Lindsey route why not contact Arrow up in the West Midlands, they can make anything like that.
If you're looking for more top end power then maybe a SFR 8v inlet plenum will help.
Anyway all the best.
Mike
Old 11-30-2008, 08:58 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

the 16v head is easier to have done than a 8v as the 16v is very similar to a jap head so head shops are tooled up fine for them as for the 8v you need to take it somewhere they do truck motors to take the massive valve stems .
also i having a inlet custom made with double injectors for a third the price of a US one .
also a 16v is not in need of porting practice like an 8v is
Old 11-30-2008, 08:58 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

the 16v head is easier to have done than a 8v as the 16v is very similar to a jap head so head shops are tooled up fine for them as for the 8v you need to take it somewhere they do truck motors to take the massive valve stems .
also i having a inlet custom made with double injectors for a third the price of a US one .
also a 16v is not in need of porting practice like an 8v is
Old 11-30-2008, 09:42 AM
Diver944
Pro

Originally Posted by nick_968
Mike

After all there is only so much the chassis and gearbox can take.
Amen to that. I would have thought that once your current development and cam is finished your torque will be starting to push the envelope of the standard gearbox (and maybe clutch as I found out).

I realise this was an old post though and you've moved away from 16v. It will be interesting to see how Mike's performs with it's SFR intake and other flow mods

Quick Reply: 16v Head on 3.0 8v Turbo