Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Central FL GTG????

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 05:07 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thinking Keith. I call dibs on bringing the big chip bags if this GTG takes place!

Anyone talk to Robin about it yet? Mid to late October would be best I think... it should give us a little time to spread the word around to other forums and such.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:33 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Friday the 12th.

Yes/No?

If someone doesnt mind talking to Robin about it at Redbone, I would do it myself but I know you guys know him better than I do.

Lets not let these once a month 944 meets die out guys... I think they are awesome.

Friend of mine is buying an 84 n/a tomorrow so he'll be at the meet as well Im sure!
Old 09-28-2007, 02:48 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Can we do it closer to gainesville and not orlando? Get the jacks folks? Travis from rennbay would come with me in the speed.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:30 AM
87924GT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kevin - I'll be taking off undercoating from a 944 that's getting a cage this weekend. I need redemption for last week!!

Elliot - I'll call Robin.

Keith - Would really like to meet you, maybe at Redbones?

Gator - How about next month you folks take the ball and setup something in your neck of the woods?

Steve Ed
Old 09-28-2007, 12:56 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Mid October for the next one sounds good... Maybe Todd or Steve see if Robin and the boys are up for a 'picnic'... This weekend is a busy one and I'm in NYC the first weekend in October...

Steve, I'm Right by Zotz, and live up in Lake Mary/Heathrow, so it's pretty out of the way for me, and the only time I'm usually over by Redbone is when the car needs something... The A/C is now holding Freon and is once more chillin' like McMillan the Villain!!!... so I don't think I'll be passing by unless something breaks...

(Yeah, I know that Zotz is also a very good 944 place, but the PO of my car retains "visitation rights", and introduced me to Robin... taking the car elsewhere except in cases of breakdown/emergency would feel like 'cheating'... besides; I believe that if you establish a relationship with a good mechanic, and you maintain it... it's just the best way.)

Mind you, I'm in the (caged) 951 today, and I have to go to Skycraft for some bits... Are you close to there? -If so, gimme a call on my cell (321) 229-3729... I might be able to swing by if you're close.

Keith
Old 09-29-2007, 07:03 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Bump!

Steve, Todd, any word from Redbones this week?

I'm on my toes about this next meet because I know I can bring out at least 3 of my good friends with 944's!

If the guys at Redbone are busy or something than we can just set this up somewhere easy, like the hooters again, or the altamonte mall parking lot, or somewhere in winter park perhaps?
Old 09-29-2007, 07:37 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

I'm in NYC this coming Friday through Sunday... so I'll also miss the Oktoberfest... -the REAL GERMAN Oktoberfest... -DO you guys know about that one? -It's close to the 17/92 and SR436 intersection: they have a full-time Beergarden, a Bandstand, an Oompah band, LOTS AND LOTS of real German beer, (Warsteiner, Bitburger, Spaten etc all on draft) german food, (Kartoffelpuffen, Bratwurst, Weisswurst, Knockwurst,) and desserts (Strudel, Schwatzewald etc)

Seriously, there's lots of lederhosen etc. -I never normally miss it, but I'm out of town, or I'd be there like white on rice...

Keith
Old 09-30-2007, 12:33 PM
kabel_Boxster
Racer

Oooo, that's next weekend?! I remember you telling me about this last year. I'll go in your place this time
Old 09-30-2007, 02:56 PM
87924GT
Racer

Keith,
Stratton shop is right off Fairbanks. Turn onto Hearold or Cherry and look for the 911's. Man you were in the neighborhood!
Kevin,
I'm up for a Fri. or Sat. O-fest but Sun. is a Chin day at Sebring. I'm not driving, but the reason to go is the 3 guys that drove ay the '04 LeMans Classic will be intown looking to put together something again for the '08 Classic.
BTW-How did it go at G-ville Sat.?
Steve ED
Old 09-30-2007, 07:27 PM
kabel_Boxster
Racer

Steve, G-Ville was great fun, thanks for asking. low turn out + good weather = great time. We were having so much fun we, had to cut our fun-runs short because we over heated the clutch!

Keith do you have more info on the Oktoberfest?
Friday is out for me, might be able to take the wife there Sat evening; Sunday is out for me as well, I'm installing race spring on my miata and shocks on another.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:55 AM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Right...here's the deal on Oktoberfest:
The society info

The address is:
381 Orange Lane, casselberry, florida 32767

You can mapquest it, or maps.google.com also works well. Copy and paste the above address line into the search panel, and you'll see where it is.

Basically, it's just off of Anchor road, which is the road more or less parallel to 17/92, heading north from the big intersection with SR436.

Here's how to get there on Saturday evening:

Turn north on Anchor road, which is at a traffic light, with a gas station on one corner, and a McDonalds on the other. It's about ½-mile along that road, but don't worry about looking too hard for it...

...because...

Once you get within 500 feet of the side-road, you'll start to see LOTS of cars parked along both verges. -Basically, at this point, you shold park (because you'll be wasting your time trying to park closer!) and just follow the crowd walking there.

They have a full-time place there which is constructed like a real German house; all painted oak beams etc. the land to the back is a full-time biergarten, with a bandstand (populated by an oompah band... though they're not there year-round! ) and dancefloor under a gazebo-like structure. Surrounding this are lots of long wooden tables for sitting, drinking and eating at. All around the perimeter of the garden are the foodstalls and beer tents. Beer is sold by the plastic cup, or -a MUCH better value- by the pitcher, with plastic cups provided.

If you have your own Stein, you're encouraged to bring it!
If you have Lederhosen or Mädchen gear, you're encoraged to wear it!
The tables tend to fill up in no time at all, so you might think about calling to see if they allow you to bring a camping chair, if you have any disability which means youwould be uncomfortable if there were nowhere to sit.

Bring cash: -The ATMs are a short drive away, and people tend to run them dry on and around Oktoberfest, so bring cash when you set out from the house. Once at the German Society, they sell 'tickets' (4 for a dollar) so that all the transactions with the various stalls are non-cash transactions. -If you don't use all your tickets, you can convert unused ones back to cash as you leave.

Kevin, several of the Germans and Austrians from work go there, and everyone LOVES it! (Norbert, Victor etc.) and a number of other people from work will be there; possibly as many as forty in total.

Inside the main 'hall' part are the desserts, and plenty of German craft stuff, if you're into that sort of thing.

Sorry I'm not able to be there, but I'm in Manhatten for a convention that weekend. It's very rare that I do miss them though: My mum, my wife, my son and the extended family will all be there however, represintin'...!

Kevin, anyone... -Any further questions?

Seiously... It's a BLAST! -There's plenty of decent beer, I think that the entrance is $5 per person.

Keith
Old 10-02-2007, 11:37 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

I'm all over it!
Old 10-02-2007, 12:31 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

I'll suggest a couple more things:

Firstly, get there early-ish. -it DOES fill up quite a bit. To me, "early" means by about 6 or 6:30PM, certainly, it can be righteously crowded by 8:30 or so!

Secondly, -since the beer garden is outside- consider putting a little mosquito repellant on, if you're the type of person who always seems to be the one that Mosquitos tend to feast on... ...you know, -sundown is when they like to have a nibble.

Man, I HATE missing this... Since I moved to CFL about 13 years ago, I've only missed this one other time, and that was the year when our son was born,. (his B'day was two days ago) and we were both too shattered to leave the house!

Trust me: this particular Oktoberfest is always a BIG deal in our house!

Todd, Coming down SR436 from your ppart of the world, it's after I-4, and it's left at the last light before 17/92... with the macdonalds and the gas station on the corners.

Keith
Old 10-02-2007, 12:50 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VWaddict
I'll suggest a couple more things:

Firstly, get there early-ish. -it DOES fill up quite a bit. To me, "early" means by about 6 or 6:30PM, certainly, it can be righteously crowded by 8:30 or so!

Secondly, -since the beer garden is outside- consider putting a little mosquito repellant on, if you're the type of person who always seems to be the one that Mosquitos tend to feast on... ...you know, -sundown is when they like to have a nibble.

Man, I HATE missing this... Since I moved to CFL about 13 years ago, I've only missed this one other time, and that was the year when our son was born,. (his B'day was two days ago) and we were both too shattered to leave the house!

Trust me: this particular Oktoberfest is always a BIG deal in our house!

Todd, Coming down SR436 from your ppart of the world, it's after I-4, and it's left at the last light before 17/92... with the macdonalds and the gas station on the corners.

Keith
OK COOL.

Why have I been in Orlando 13 years and never heard of this????
Old 10-03-2007, 12:56 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Finally got to stop by Stratton's yesterday, saw Steve there of course, and met some cool guys. They seem like the kinda guys who would love a 944 meet in front of their shop after 5 or so!

So did any of you guys get ahold of Robin? If not I'll have to make some calls tomorrow so we can get another meet organized somewhere!

Also, would you guys be interested in heading up to Rennfest in a group? I think it would be neat to have a cruise up there together with other porsches!

Quick Reply: Central FL GTG????