Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Another 951 overhaul + megasquirt...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 02:16 AM
Kell
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another 951 overhaul + megasquirt...

Hello all,

I have been a member here on the Rennlist for a while now and mostly lurk with a few responces thrown in here and there. I just thought I'd take some time to share my ongoing project (and pain in the rear) for the moment.

I bought this car a year and a half ago, with a few mild mods already done ( test pipe, LR wastegate, CV delete, chipped, welt springs and rear sways). I enjoyed it for a a few months cleaning up a few parts here and there utill the #2 rod bearing decided to give out... So, I set off to rebuiling my motor over last summer. And in doing this found myself upgrading more then just replacing. Eventually ending with a T3/T04E, fabricating my own 3" down pipe and 4" exhaust, a 3.5" LR maff, a chip from Hally, a new clutch, rebuilding my LSD, and a few other things thrown in here and there.

And off I was again to enjoy some newfound power... and later on other issues. After a while I decided it was time to play with my suspension. So I ended up with some 29mm tbars, a bunch of stiff bushings, some used konis and paragon coils. I got the konis witht he intent to rebuild/ upgrade to the double adjustable 86 series and possibly a set of 3012's with springs to supplement the t-bars when the funds made it possible... But a few months ago I ran into yet another issue.

I was driving home with a good friend and just rolled into 2nd a little (now Im not one to be too harsh on transmissions) and there was quite a loud bang from the transaxle, some grinding, and 2nd gear was no more. I limped home in all gears but 2nd (obviously) with some scary noises transmitting through my solid tranny mount.

so, within a few days i had the tranny out

and apart

only to discover somthing not all that surprising

Old 08-22-2007, 02:33 AM
Kell
Instructor

So I found myself a decent tansaxle. But, I decided I needed another project for this summer. I came to the conclusion that I would build a megasquirt and rewire the better part of the engine bay after seeing the terrible state of my 20 year old factory wireing harness. I chose this route for 1: my prior experiance with MS on our FSAE car at school and on a fe wfriens vehicles and 2: its cheap, and im in college... 3: my ICV circuit had fried itself and was in need of a new ecu anyways. Now I also decided to drop my motor once again and this time repaint my engine bay b/c of its terrible condition that has always bothered me.

Then I found myself on yet another upgrade binge, getting a KEP PP and 6 puck clutch as my newly replaced clutch was actually slipping in 3rd and 4th on the highway at anything over 17psi. Then I found a good deal on a tial 40mm WG. Also decided to get powersteering back (boughut it with a plugged and greased PS rack)... and so on

What is this disease we call turbos? Its making me broke

see, ugly engine bay

tucked away, ready to be molested once again

and finally motor dropped

Old 08-22-2007, 02:39 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Wow that is now a well put together car. Nice garage btw
Old 08-22-2007, 10:51 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I like the phone booth....
Old 08-22-2007, 11:25 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

nice garage
Old 08-22-2007, 12:03 PM
Glen Watkins
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris White
I like the phone booth....
+1
Old 08-22-2007, 05:23 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neat project, what flavors/options are you going to use for the MS? Board, firmware, spark system, other options.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:25 PM
Kell
Instructor

Thanks for the complements guys. The phone booth is a genuine piece from England my dad and I restored after he found it at an antiques dealer in the mountains. We did it for mom, shes british...

Anyways, the MS. I went with MS1 on the v3.0 board with MSnS extra latest firmware. I have it assembled and tested and am calibrating a few sensors and building the VE and spark maps. I decided on a wasted spark setup and have built the extra coil driver circuit. Along witht that im using the electronic boost controll feature with a perrin boost controll solenoid, also using a bosch 2 wire pwm ICV from a volvo and have the upgraded transistor for that installed, running the boost build/launch controll just for fun( no intent on dragging the car seriously) using a internal usb-serial converter mounted in the case, and a few other things. All the extra stuff controlled through the extra code(boost, launch, tach out, table switch, etc...) is going through a separate db25 connector mounded below the db37. Also im using a 60-2 wheel from Chris White.

I'm sure I forgot a few things but I'll post some pictures of it in a few, for now here are some pics from beginning to prep and tape off the engine bay.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:37 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Nice way you dropped the front clip there
Old 08-22-2007, 08:43 PM
Kell
Instructor

got the dolly idea from your thread works beautifully. especially after I pulled it from the top last time... no fun
Old 08-22-2007, 08:47 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

It's hilarious how much easier it is to drop out and move around that way, especially when you can just push on it and wheel the whole assembly out of the way. Good luck on your project, looking great so far!

What wheels are those?
Old 08-22-2007, 08:49 PM
milani
Advanced

Looking good!

I second that as well, what wheels are those?
Old 08-22-2007, 08:52 PM
Kell
Instructor

The wheels are Champion RG5 monoblocks, 18x8 and 18x10. The 18's have actualy been discontinued and they only make 19's now for the 996/7's
Old 08-22-2007, 09:20 PM
5speed300
Racer

Very cool. What were the specs on your engine rebuild? New rings and everything?
Old 08-22-2007, 11:53 PM
Kell
Instructor

I rebuilt the motor summer a year ago. That included baisically everything, including a new block ( mine was scored badly and it was cheaper to get a used good block then bore and oversize the pistons) a new crank that I had crossdrilled and a mild knife edge (see sig). Also got ARP rod studs and a valve job aswell. The head was already ported by the previous owner.

and here are the MS pics, all the extra stuff ( coil driver, and trasistors for ICV, and circuts for launch and boost are under the board) I also remembered I installed the MAP Daddy 4 bar map w/ barro correction

Quick Reply: Another 951 overhaul + megasquirt...