Another 951 overhaul + megasquirt...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 12:57 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice looking car,
Which FASE program where you involved with? We used to be a sponser up to a few years ago, still somewhat , just not directly anymore .

On your MS setup, why 2 serial ports ? yours seems to have more than others i have seen before....... does it have true launch control ?
Old 08-23-2007, 02:55 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds very similar to what I've been planning Kell, I'll definitely be following your progress. FYI, a few of us were exploring some ideas that would use the stock speed and reference sensors, no need for a custom external trigger setup. Also, once sequential injection is released it will be simple to switch the reference sensor to something up on the cam.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:58 PM
Kell
Instructor

A.Wayne - I am on the UNC Charlotte FSAE team. Being in NASCAR country we get a good bit of help from some of the teams/companies around here, which is nice, but not many of these guys can give mucha dvice on open wheel race cars... We've had some orginization troubles the past few years and havent done well, however this year is going much better so far.

Anyways, as for the ports on the MS box. The serial port for tuning connection is on the other side of the box, you can see it in the first picture next to the 3 led's. The ports you are talking about are a DB37 adn a DB25. the top (DB37) is the original harness/port the connects to the engine harness. This port is mounted directly on the board. Originally MS was a fuel only controller, then the Mega Squirt and Spark Extra code came out which added alot of new features and added spark controll. Alot of these new features cant be routed through the original DB37 so I added the DB 25 port.

The "launch control" i am using is just a boost build feature w/ the extra code. Baisically a soft rev limiter you set up at whatever RPM you wish. Im using a arming switch that runs to the clutch switch to engage it. A friend of mine's volvo makes ~10 psi in neutral at 4500 with the code. MS also has a traction contrall feature that can run by rpm alone or through wheel speed sensors but I dont know of anyone who has used it or gotten it to work yet.

DanG - I read up alot on yours and ( i think) TheEdge's threads on MS. I read that you guys were looking for a way to use the factory ref/speed sensors. I like the idea but I dont have time to wait for that to come out and I already have Chris White's 60-2 tec-3 wheel. So ill stick witht hat for now.

Aren't you on a FSAE team as well?
Old 08-24-2007, 07:00 PM
Kell
Instructor

New clutch

Old 08-24-2007, 07:31 PM
AlexE
Pro

Nice work! Makes me think back a few years ago when I was putting mine back together.

I have been running MS2 Edis Full Standalone for 2 years now on my daily driver that has dyno,autox,lapping event duty under its belt.

The MS has been wonderfull to work with. The car dynoed last year at 315rwhp/320lbft at 16 psi and hoping to squeeze more out of her. She has seen 18 psi with the occasional 21-22 psi. I am hoping to get her dynoed at the higher boost levels.

MS has been no problems. The only problems I have created have been mechanical. The software+hardware for MS has been rock solid.

It will be nice to see another full MS car running. This will be the third that I know of.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:52 PM
whakiewes
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kell
(now Im not one to be too harsh on transmissions)
Ha...Ha.....HAHAHAHAHA! I almost crapped myself I was laughing so hard ! Better would be..."I'm not too harsh on transmissions except when I do burnouts, clutch drops, clutch kicks, and let girls drive" Haha...j/k j/k

On a serious note though, there was a time when Kell was 16 and did all of the above. Of recent maturity though, he has settled down only to burnouts. I would though consider a new transmission part of a cars annual preventative maintenence list if you let Kell frequently drive your car...muahaha.

You guys would be surprised how far this car has come. It was once a quick bastardized car that is slowly but surely becoming a fast, clean, and well organized car. It's really hard to look at peoples build threads and understand what work goes into something like this until you take part in it (and I took a VERY small part). Many, many, many long nights with many uncertainties. What is certain though is that the car will eating AMG's for breakfast and crapping M5's in due time . The point is that this 951 has literally been completely disassembled and reassembled from the ground up to better then new condition on a college students time frame and salary (aka tight and crappy). Its taken a lot of time (probably had the car on the road 150 days of the 500 days owned), but the end result will be stunning...and fast.

Wes

P.S. Those wheels really set the car off !

Quick Reply: Another 951 overhaul + megasquirt...