Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

No start after turbo install

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 10:59 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start after turbo install

I just put in a Lindsey dry turbo plus fixed of small oil leaks but now after everything is hooked up it won't start. It is getting gas because I can smell it after 30 seconds of cranking plus it backfired about that same time (to rich) but it doesn't seem to be sparking then... I checked the spark plug wires, the main one going to rotor, the MAF power unit is plugged into the + at the diagnostic plug area. The tech jumps up and down as I try to start, so that makes me think the ref/speed sensor are good. The only other thing I can think of for no spark in bad DME computer but the car has been sitting for 2.5 weeks now and never gave me this problem before. Tomorrow I will check to see if each and every wire is getting a spark though it and check to see if the MAF is getting 12v like it is suppose to. Also, my battery was cranking slowly, so I put on a charger and let it sit for about and hour. Now it cranks quicker like normal but still nothing.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:03 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If youre getting tach jump, then your car is wanting to start. The Speed/Ref sensors are good.

The DME could be bad, however unless it got wet somehow, not very likely.

It started before you put the turbo on, you have to backtrace and find out why its not working. Could be something as simple as a vacuum line not connected.

Another shatty trick ive seen work in 951s (usually one with ground troubles). Pull the neg battery cable, and put it back on.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:07 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

All the vacuum lines are connected. It just doesn't seem to spark. I really need to check the voltage on the MAF. I did spray brake cleaner when the turbo was out in that area to clean it out but not into the ref/speed sensor or anything like that.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:12 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Hmmph. If its not sparking, I would think it has something to do with the MAF. You sprayed brake cleaner in the MAF?
Old 08-19-2007, 11:22 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

No in the MAF or even close to it. I did spray the side of the engine where the turbo sits normally. The MAF was out of the car. I am going to see because my battery over the last year as been getting slower and slower to crank after letting sit for long periods, so it COULD be on the way out, but sit can't be the only thing. The car cranked GOOD for about 2-3 mins before it slowed down at all but even by then I had full oil pressure. I am going to let the charger sit on it all night then check the voltage tomorrow too.

Also, since I installed a dry turbo, I took the turbo water pump out (just unplugged and pulled out), is that fine? Also, the sensor for the turbo before, I disconnected it from the wire so the sensor is out of the car but the empty terminal is still there, is that all fine??
Old 08-19-2007, 11:29 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike1982
No in the MAF or even close to it. I did spray the side of the engine where the turbo sits normally. The MAF was out of the car. I am going to see because my battery over the last year as been getting slower and slower to crank after letting sit for long periods, so it COULD be on the way out, but sit can't be the only thing. The car cranked GOOD for about 2-3 mins before it slowed down at all but even by then I had full oil pressure. I am going to let the charger sit on it all night then check the voltage tomorrow too.

Also, since I installed a dry turbo, I took the turbo water pump out (just unplugged and pulled out), is that fine? Also, the sensor for the turbo before, I disconnected it from the wire so the sensor is out of the car but the empty terminal is still there, is that all fine??
Well there isnt really anything on that side aside from the MAF that could potentially get damaged by brake cleaner. I doubt you got the speed/ref sensors unless you went crazy.

Yeah thats fine if the waterpump is just unplugged and pulled out. It wont stop the car from starting. In my Cabrio, the waterpump isn't hooked up.

Sensor for the turbo? Im not too sure what that is.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:30 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Plug wires on dist. cap like this?

4 2
3 1
Old 08-19-2007, 11:34 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shiners780
Plug wires on dist. cap like this?

4 2
3 1

OOO! You took the plug wires off?
Old 08-19-2007, 11:34 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts

Mike, if you are wiring in the Mafterburner, look closely at the schematic. There was one wire who's route was not clear to me on the schematic. I seem to recall it being the white one. At first glance the wire looks like it ends, but it does not. I'm sorry but I don't have my schematic handy. Double check those wiring routes.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:15 AM
Mike1982
Drifting

Dan, my SMT-6 has been already in the car for the last year. My wires on the cap are like that so I will see today after work and a charged battery how it goes. I am hoping to have the car running tonight and set up some dyno time then for this week!!!
Old 08-20-2007, 08:31 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check the S & R sensors again, even if just to unplug and then plug them back up, verify good contact.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:13 AM
Robert W. Bausum Jr.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

DME relay?
Old 08-21-2007, 04:56 PM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Mike,I can't help with the no start, but i am wondering where your going for the dyno? FRED
Old 08-21-2007, 06:46 PM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

factory alarm shorted out? check to make sure your DME plug is fully seated and snapped down. those 2 things caused a no-start in my car
Old 08-21-2007, 08:09 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

I don't have a factory alarm. Right now I tring to finish putting in my exhuast and having problem connecting the crossover to the headers/wastegate pipe which I upgrade to lindsey's 3 piece cross over. It is REALLY pissing me off right now, I have like 2 hours making sure all the bolts are loose tring to fit everything and still nothing

Quick Reply: No start after turbo install