Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rear Spoiler opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 10:35 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The spoiler does have a bit of a canal to it when you look at it, but it's hardly even noticeable when rubbing your hands with it.

It's nothing to worry about. Also, to be honest, yours looks more profound because it's painted. I have a factory spoiler on my '91 S2 and it's a flat black spoiler...much less noticeable.

If someone can host a photo for me, I can grab one of the spoiler on my S2 and show that mine isn't as noticeable.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:26 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Keith: I still think the angle must have some bearing.

Brad: Well if it was used to reduce drag I would think that no spoiler reduces it the most?

GT37: Correct but the angle of the front of the wing being above the rear of the wing must still have some bearing? If you imagine a planes wings they get lift through the process you describe but if the front of the wing was higher than the rear you would keep ascending or have to redesign the flaps.

Carbon: Mine is a copy of the one you have and from all the hoop spoilers I've seen they have the same aspect; front higher than rear.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:40 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

I know yours is a copy of the factory, but what I meant to say is that since is has a very shiny finish on it, your eyes have a different perception. When it's flat back (such as mine), you don't notice it as much.

The middle section is designed so for a reason that none of us will probably ever really know. The "duck tail" underneath (where the spoiler kicks up at the very back edge) is playing a role in this picture as well. Add all of the different "parts" of the spoiler together, and it provides something good. Wether or not this spoiler has the downforce of the original 944 spoiler, It looks a whole hell of a lot better. I'd probably be willing to say it produces less drag then the original 944 spoiler, as on the original rubber spoiler equipped car, the wind is rushing down over that back glass, then has to take an abrupt direction change to flow OVER the spoiler and then hits yet another tiny lip near the back. Where as the 968 type spoiler has air flowing over the glass and straight down to where it makes a change in direction (not as much as a 944 type), and flows over the hatch trim which kind of looks like a tiny thin flat spoiler all on it's own underneath the spoiler. The hatch trim may provide a substanial part in how the spoiler works as I mentioned above the trim underneath the spoiler is kind of a spoiler on its own. You can see what I'm talking about in the 2nd picture you posted. Looks kind of like a double deck spoiler in a very low, tight space.

I'm willing to bet the 968 type spoiler performs better then the 944 type, so no need to worry. Plus, looks aren't the only thing they were set out for.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:10 AM
Tay-Tay
Instructor

As I understand it you can't look at the spoiler as though air is coming over it horizontally, it's not. Air passing over the spoiler is coming down the rear glass and as Carbon said, it takes an abrupt change in direction over the wing - down force -.

If your wing was at or above the roof line then it would need a spoiler w/ the rear higher than the front.

I have included examples

Taylor

Last edited by Tay-Tay; 09-09-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:16 AM
Tay-Tay
Instructor

Link if you wanted to look at more carbage. I guess the van is a new fad in Japan called "vaning".

Taylor

Quick Reply: Rear Spoiler opinions?