Intercooler questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 03:36 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mtnman82
In the interest of adding to the discussion, what is the consensus about upgrading the intercooler on a 'mildly' modified 951, say something with a K27/VR stage 2 or 3/similar, and supporting mods, putting out 300~350whp? Would upgrading be worth it in such a case?

I assume something like a 3" exhaust should be higher on the list than an upgraded intercooler?
I think you answered your own question there. Special Tool waited a VERY long time (comparatively speaking) before he went to a larger IC. I believe he made 472hp with his Stage 3 and big head etc, before we built his new IC. He already was running a 3" exhaust from the turbo back. 300 to 350 should be fine. Rather than spend so much on an IC, I'd spend the same on H2O injection as was mentioned above.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:59 PM
Missin2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ehall, I listed my mods..

I consider them pretty average.. It is a solid car with a newish (50k) engine at this point.. It runs strong.. pretty much all the trouble areas on the car have been addressed at this point as well (new fuel lines, axles, ignition, and best of all not more starting problems)

Mod wise all I really have left on the docket is Intercooler and vitesse stage3.. Then the car is done engine wise.. suspension is done.. interior is almost done.. then it hits the body shop

I am not quite ready to do the new turbo yet.. but I will soon..

So the "your car isnt fast enough for an intercooler game" doesn't apply here.. It will be needed soon

I guess my point is no one is going to talk me out of this
Old 05-24-2007, 09:57 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

this may be a stupid question, but i think it makes sense.
couldnt you intercool an N/A car? colder air helps boost hp dosent it? even a little?
i know turbos cause heat which is why theres an intercooler, but wouldnt it be like aa super cold air intake on an N/A?
Old 05-24-2007, 10:06 PM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are pulling air from a cool place in the engine bay, how much cooler would it get running it through a heat soaked aluminum box? Answer.....it wouldn't help at all.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:18 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Missin2
Ehall, I listed my mods..

I consider them pretty average.. It is a solid car with a newish (50k) engine at this point.. It runs strong.. pretty much all the trouble areas on the car have been addressed at this point as well (new fuel lines, axles, ignition, and best of all not more starting problems)

Mod wise all I really have left on the docket is Intercooler and vitesse stage3.. Then the car is done engine wise.. suspension is done.. interior is almost done.. then it hits the body shop

I am not quite ready to do the new turbo yet.. but I will soon..

So the "your car isnt fast enough for an intercooler game" doesn't apply here.. It will be needed soon

I guess my point is no one is going to talk me out of this
Well a stage 3 is going to run you 3900 + injectors and FPR. and you don't need a new IC until you have the stage three and turn up the boost significantly, so whatever...
Old 05-25-2007, 11:14 AM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by billindenver
If you are pulling air from a cool place in the engine bay, how much cooler would it get running it through a heat soaked aluminum box? Answer.....it wouldn't help at all.
i was thinking about that THP thing at lindseyracing.com
kind of make a "custom" cold air intake and just using that as a section of the pipe
Old 05-25-2007, 11:54 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Here is an article from Hot Rodding Magazine...
Old 05-25-2007, 11:00 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

good article.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:39 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Venting nose panel, “improving” Porsche’s IC design and adding a larger intercooler are frequent topics here. It is actually puzzling that I have not seen a single post trying to quantify the “improvements” through actual measurements.

The irony is, that I have a thermocouple (EGT sensor) in the exit of the turbocharger compressor and another one in the intake manifold (IM) boss, just after the throttle body and can switch them to my EGT gauge. Unfortunately the gauge is analog, so the reading accuracy is quite bad at the relevant temperatures.

However, I can see that under boost the turbo air temperature quickly goes to the 300F range while the IM temperature stays virtually constant. It actually stays so constant, that I found it necessary to test its functionality, which I did today with a lighter and sure enough, both sensors work just fine.

In other words the IC does an excellent job at air cooling even with a K26-8 at 25 psi and without nose panel venting. Maybe others will make an effort measuring the pressure drop under driving conditions.

Laust
Old 05-27-2007, 01:50 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

laust, I had some actual measurements (power on dyno) on the larger IC I tried... there should be a thread somewhere... zero HP gain over stock, I was within 1HP of the stock IC power.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:09 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I remember that Andrew.
I forgot, is your new project N/A or forced induction?
Old 05-27-2007, 02:23 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Twin turbo

PS isn't Boxster, Boxster, not Boxter? unless thats part of the joke I dont get
Old 05-27-2007, 02:27 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

It's not my quote. I found that funny as well. lol
A person probably shouldn't give crap to another guy about his car when he doesn't know how to even spell the model name. lol
Typical of the many idots hiding under the bridges of the OT section.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:30 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Ahhhh OT, say no more
Old 05-27-2007, 03:09 AM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ951
laust, I had some actual measurements (power on dyno) on the larger IC I tried... there should be a thread somewhere... zero HP gain over stock, I was within 1HP of the stock IC power.
Hi NZ (Andrew) and welcome back btw (in spite of your missing Porsche ).
Now that you mention it, I very vaguely recall something to that effect, but do recall that you actually made efforts to quantify various modification.
So I stand corrected ... for this once

Quick Reply: Intercooler questions