Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

86 951 LSD Trans fluid change - recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 12:03 AM
ZPmadA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 951 LSD Trans fluid change - recommendations?

Hi,
Its been about 2 years and 20,000 miles so I think its time to change the fluid in my LSD transmission. I don't usually lift the rear of the car, so don't know where to put jack stands.

Only time I needed to lift the rear was to change brake pads. When I lift the car to replace rear brake pads its a quick job and I jack the side at the middle jack point. Because I'm going to be under the car to do the trans fluid, I want to have it jacked up on stands safely. Should I put the stands under the torsion bar?

Question #2: What fluid works best with the 944 Turbo limited slip differential? I've heard different fluids give different results. I plan to autocross primarily and maybe a gentle drag race one day a year at the track.

Is there anything special I should pay attention to when changing fluids on a 951 LSD trans, or will this task be just as simple as any other car?
Thanks for your time.
Sincerely,
Adam
Old 05-15-2007, 12:30 AM
nitehawk951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm no expert first off. But the answer to question 1 would be to use four jacks or do what you can to get the car elevated so that it is level. Put jack stands on the chassis on the front part of the car. In the rear, I used those two bars in front of the rear wheels.
The fluid I used was royal purple GL-4. It has limited slip fluid in it anyway. I dont know if going synthetic was the wrong choice. And then many will come on here and tell me it's not real synthetic or something.
I would suggest running some fluid through the transmission before plugging the drain hole. Again, I'm no expert, thats just how I did it. Good luck.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:04 AM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

I just changed from Mobil 1 to Redline mt-90 and can attest that the noise level has dropped. Can't say as that it shifts better because it has never shifted badly.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:15 AM
jasoncoker
Instructor

+1 on MT-90
my car has LSD
Old 05-15-2007, 02:14 AM
reno928s
Pro

I just changed mine two days ago and used Lucas oil 75w 90 full syntheic, it will say excellent for use with lsd, and to me it blows away what I had in there before (redline). It's also alot quiter. Reno

Quick Reply: 86 951 LSD Trans fluid change - recommendations?