Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Replace Eprom with Flash type memory

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 06:22 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Replace Eprom with Flash type memory

Is it possible to use flash type memory instead of those old fashioned eproms which needs UV-light to be erased? It's too time consuming to erase data with UV light when my programming device can erase data from flash memory in seconds. If i can use flash type memory, which is the corrct one to use insteadt of 27C series eprom our cars use ?
Old 03-26-2007, 10:26 AM
2bridges
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure it is. I had a new socket soldered into a GM ECU a few years back. Then used flash chips. Worked very well. I have not seen anybody do it in porsche world, but cannot imagine any particular issue.

May be helpfull to look at http://www.moates.net/index.php
They sell sockets, flash chips, burners, etc
Old 03-26-2007, 08:46 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Try www.maxhpkit.com. The Maxtronic is what you're looking for - it's the moates unit customized for our cars.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:02 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 2bridges
I am sure it is. I had a new socket soldered into a GM ECU a few years back. Then used flash chips. Worked very well. I have not seen anybody do it in porsche world, but cannot imagine any particular issue.

May be helpfull to look at http://www.moates.net/index.php
They sell sockets, flash chips, burners, etc

It's been done. Here
Old 03-27-2007, 11:16 AM
TT
Racer

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
Is it possible to use flash type memory instead of those old fashioned eproms which needs UV-light to be erased? It's too time consuming to erase data with UV light when my programming device can erase data from flash memory in seconds. If i can use flash type memory, which is the corrct one to use insteadt of 27C series eprom our cars use ?
Use the 28CXX series, they are electrically erasable. Just carry a programmed 27CXX as a spare.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:33 AM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

Look here. Comes with outstanding support and is customized for our cars. http://www.maxhpkit.com/
Old 03-28-2007, 03:05 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
You can use the 28C32/64 as TT stated, make sure your eprom burner has the capability to do eeproms, and when ordering one make sure it is DIP package and PLCC or other form factor. Best if they show you a picture, the numbers on these things can get confusing if you're not familiar with them.

Regards,
Russell

Quick Reply: Replace Eprom with Flash type memory