Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

why do so many people in the 951 community hate other cars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 03:38 AM
aventari
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Obviously I enjoy other cars
Old 02-26-2007, 05:04 AM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Camaro_Muncher
Is a vette a sports car or a fast car? A sports car is a light, nimble and quick car. Not a huge monster that can move fast in a line.
Nothing wrong with liking whatever you like. Not sure if that was meant to be a joke. Any Porsche owner that believes that kind of stuff is an F'in idiot. It makes me wonder if any of the people that say that sort of stuff have ever actually gone to a car meet, track day event, or even ridden in another car as that is the most closed-minded utter bullsh*t kind of mentality. Haha, some people here are so full of themselves and their cars. If those of you that believe that sort of stuff took a look OUTSIDE of the "box", you might realize that the rest of the automotive community is laughing at your ignorant @sses. Geez, some of you guys make it almost hard for me to enjoy these cars with your attitude, but at the end of the day it's about the cars and not the people.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:09 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithr726
I normally do not like japanese cars but I've been driving this 2000? avalon around for the last week and I'm starting to like it. Still doesn't come close to a BMW sedan though.
I'm like that, just with my 93 camry. Its a crappy car, but the interior is pretty decent for a car that old and it still works and gets me around. Also has the best radio out of the family's fleet (aftermarket).

I think its just liking what you have. Thats why people with complete POS cars still love them, because it is their car.

Hell, I like the camry enough that until I bought the 951 I was tempting spending money on it to make it more fun to drive. But then I found a website where some guys turbo'd one and it still only made like 160hp on 8psi, so yeah... If I have the money my dream is to stick a toyoder v8 in it and make it rwd, but thats my crazy car project for whenever.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:21 AM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

wild guess is that after driving a 944 hearing it's ugly and a slow audi, and that it's not a porsche you get a bit fed up and start hateing on everybody.

personally I agree that the design its a bit 80'ish but far from the worse one.

why did I buy one? they are superbly balanced and bloody fast and has a good potential for racemods.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:57 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Heh, but funny thing is that many sports cars have design elements from Porsches and even 924 is considered to be a classic sports car. Not something many others can claim.

I like Porsches and I just don't understand why someone would hate other Porsches than his/her own. Lart and his 928 phobia comes to mind. Having owned an 928 I must say it's a wonderful car and really fun to drive. Not to mention pretty much the only true, in and out Porsche.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:16 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
Its a honest question.

The posts as of late are really starting to surprise even me. If you can't appreciate something different than what you own that's you're problem but, why mask that disaproval behind obvious slanted opinions and call them facts?

Why is a 951 automatically sooo much better than a 500hp silvia? a supra? a modded corvette? Case in point the c6 zo6 vs 951 thread. We had people literally calling a 2007 model year car that costs 70k and can run the nurburgring in 7:43 bone stock! crap compared to a 951...

What exactly is it about our cars that makes them SOOO superior to everything thats out even today?

The reason im asking is cause I just don't get it. I hate being around ignorance and it just seems there's so much of it around here lately its oozing outta the ears of some car owners. How sad that people can't love cars for cars and appreciate all sorts of things. Instead they point a finger and call that car crap cause its not what they would buy or build.

Breaks my heart
I just like to say I have a ton of hands on experiance with a ton of different cars. So drawing on that I can tell you a few things I have come to conclude.

1. No matter how good any other car might be it will never be as good because I just don't have the same passion for it as I do my 944. I have driven and been around fast car (Much faster then a new Z06) and have gotten very little excitement out of them because they lacked something that words just cannot explain. You can sit and talk about statistics and numbers but there is alot left out of that equation. A few examples of this is a 930 vs 996tt. The 996TT is so far superior its not even worth mentioning. However, ever drive one? Its dull and refined. It lacks everything a 911 turbo should be it has nothing of what I think of when I think of a 911 turbo. I have absolutely no passion for it and because of that the 930 is just amazing. Its all the horribleness I ever wanted the 911 turbo to be. The same goes for Ferrari an example is a F430 vs F355. The F430 is far superior car but park one next to a F355 and quickly you come to find out that WOW! ITS HUGE! When its parked next to a F355 it looks titanic and because of that it loses everything it means to be Ferrari.

The 944 is a bastard child and its got it errors but I have passion for it because its the car I grew up around (Hotrod guys and Classic guys are the same way) and because of that it will always be better then a Corvette, Ferrari or any Porsche since those cars only have my respect not my passion.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:30 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 2bridges
Reality check - even when new they were the low buck guys sports car.
In '88, at over $50,000, my Turbo S was about the most expensive thing Porsche offered... But a Ferrari GTO was still more.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:08 AM
Colin Emerson
Instructor

Not sure about the last comment, Turbo S the most expensive thing Porsche offered???????
I believe that some of the 928's where 70-80K.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:11 AM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Camaro_Muncher
Is a vette a sports car or a fast car? A sports car is a light, nimble and quick car. Not a huge monster that can move fast in a line.
Dont get me wrong v06's are sweet cars just not what i like.
While I have no desire to own a Z06, it will go fast in just about any line, straight or curved.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:18 AM
Colin Emerson
Instructor

Please correct me if I am wrong but isn't the Z06 as light as any stock 951 was in it's day? I think it is around 3000 lbs with approx 500 hp, that doesn't sound too bad to me...
Old 02-26-2007, 11:22 AM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

This site says 3132 which is alot of power with not too much weight. Though I would rather own a radical sr8 maybe i will have to start saving
Old 02-26-2007, 12:10 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
Its a honest question.

The posts as of late are really starting to surprise even me. If you can't appreciate something different than what you own that's you're problem but, why mask that disaproval behind obvious slanted opinions and call them facts?

Why is a 951 automatically sooo much better than a 500hp silvia? a supra? a modded corvette? Case in point the c6 zo6 vs 951 thread. We had people literally calling a 2007 model year car that costs 70k and can run the nurburgring in 7:43 bone stock! crap compared to a 951...

What exactly is it about our cars that makes them SOOO superior to everything thats out even today?

The reason im asking is cause I just don't get it. I hate being around ignorance and it just seems there's so much of it around here lately its oozing outta the ears of some car owners. How sad that people can't love cars for cars and appreciate all sorts of things. Instead they point a finger and call that car crap cause its not what they would buy or build.

Breaks my heart
I love it when you stir the pot John!!!

Old 02-26-2007, 12:44 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

First I would like to apologize to the people I am about to offend, also excuse my grammar as English is my 2nd language. I have always been a car guy, if I wanted a badge I’ll be driving a 911 but I am a follower of the cult behind the 951. I have worked hard all my life and spent my money so unwisely on cars instead of properties, if I had invested my money on real state or the stock market I would be posting this on the Bentley forum, lol. I have owned an average of 5 vehicles per year since age 18, I am now 46 do your math, I am not trying to boast or show that I am superior to anybody here which I know that I am not, I am just trying to illustrate that I have driven and owned many cars from all different manufacturers including:
Fiat, Audi, AMG, Ford, Chevrolet, Opel, Vw, Nissan, Toyota, Renault, Mercedes Benz, Cadillac, Alfa Romeo, Dodge, Jeep, Peugeot, Volvo and Mazda. Also I have been given the chance to drive some exotics like the Ferrari Testarrosa and the NSX..
When the 944 turbo came to the US the fastest cars that I had at that time were a 861/2 Supra and a 16 Valve Scciroco, the 944T smoked both with easy, everybody knew then that the 951 was one of the fastest cars on the street, the Corvette could not keep up with the 944T, it took them 20 years and more than double the displacement to make a better car, back then every single car manufacturer tried to compare their cars to the 944. The 944 turbo was the car that Porsche detuned to keep their flagship 928 and the 911 at the top, running merely 11lbs of boost the 911t and the 928 barely could out run it. The 951 was faster than lotuses, maseratis, ferrari’s , Mb, bmw’s at that time there was only a few exotics than could defeat the 944T on the road. Due to poor sales figures and a market strategy the 951 was directed to extinction, not because it was a bad car. Just take a look at the climax of the 924/944 series the 1993 968 turbo s it was faster than the 911 turbo and the 928, but Porsche wasn’t about to sell a cheaper faster car to dethrone their flagships. I am not ignorant, like some of the guys that hang around with the fast and the furious crowd and think they are the law when it comes to fast cars, lol. I know the Z06 is a better car so it is the skyline, the supra turbo, a modded evo, the Sti, but the fact that the 944t is 20 years and still giving them a run for their money it’s just amazing. I love the car for what it is, one of the most underrated car in history, I have articles from many magazines that describe the virtues of the 944T take a peek to these excerpts

Car and driver June 1988
“You’ll have a hard time finding a GT machine as easy to drive fast and as easy to live as the 944 Turbo. It’s by far the strongest-performing four cylinder car in the world, and only a few cars of any stripe can match or beat its numbers. The same holds true for its combination of mechanical smoothness, creature comforts and handling precision. Add all its virtues together and its least expensive competitor is the Porsche 928S4, which, comparably equipped, cost another twenty grand.”

Road & track June 1988

Slalom and skidpad numbers bear out what we’ve said: The 944 Turbo S hangs on like a Pit Bull. Its 65.1 mph sprint through the cones and a 0.89g loop around the 200ft circle make it one of the fastest cars we’ve ever tested: certainly, the best of the production Porsches
I could afford a c6 and if I wanted to know about a C6 I would be reading the corvette forums, but I am here because I am a proud fanatic follower of the car known as the 944 turbo whether it has the Porsche plaque or not. So the last thing I need is some punks to come and tell me that I am full of sh$t because I don’t care about other cars on a 944 turbo forum. Are they faster better cars out there than my 951 ? Hell yes, do I care hell no, it’s so simple.

Have a nice day.

P.S. I tried to be as nice as I could, just don't push it because next time I may not be as nice as today.

Last edited by lart951; 02-26-2007 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:51 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Raceboy
Heh, but funny thing is that many sports cars have design elements from Porsches and even 924 is considered to be a classic sports car. Not something many others can claim.

I like Porsches and I just don't understand why someone would hate other Porsches than his/her own. Lart and his 928 phobia comes to mind. Having owned an 928 I must say it's a wonderful car and really fun to drive. Not to mention pretty much the only true, in and out Porsche.
Dude, I don't hate 928's I just love to drive the 928 guys nuts and induce them some heart attacks, lol.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:57 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bleucamaro
I love all kinds of cars, I'm a bonafied car-guy. What I have noticed is that alot of "Porsche guys" are just Porsche guys, they aren't car guys. The same follows for BMW owners, Corvette owners, etc. for most every car that has a stigma of it being a status symbol attached to it. I'm also a firm believer of form following function, and thats where I get turned off by some cars.
I have to agree. I think maybe its most porsche guys aren't real car guys. They can't appreciate much else save for a few other models and makers. If you were to show them something outta that relm they just turn their noses up at it without a second thought. Its sad.

and to who ever said the zo6 was only fast in a straight line. lol. re read my first post.

Quick Reply: why do so many people in the 951 community hate other cars?