Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Standalone EMS...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 04:17 PM
nize
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
Hmmm….are you saying that the system holds 10,000 maps and you can switch from map to map with the twist of a simple ****? Interesting.
BTW – adjusting for fuel quality requires altering the timing and A/F ratios by load and rpm – its not a simple adjustment
yes. and yes. it can actually hold more if you want to set it up that way, though i don't see why anyone would need more than, say, five settings unless they can actually run 10,000 different types of fuel.

it also has the ability to automatically switch fuel on the fly, so you can run two seperate fuel tanks, and have the system switch to 110octane at 12+psi boost (or whatever) while using 92octane at lower boost, without any user intervention.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:19 PM
nize
Banned

and that's some awesome work, alexe.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:22 PM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Sry, all of those features and even more are on VEMS v3.3 also. And it costs like 900$. It also has 8cylinder FULL sequential injection and ignition, dual integrated WB, dual knock sensors, dual EGT's and LCD display to show all that. Did I mention it has immobilizer (or low-boost/rpm etc map) function via iButton interface and fully mappable boost controller?
And it offer support for almost all trigger types.

All I want to say that by today nearly every managemnt system has plenty of features, all just comes down to potential buyer: will one install it himself, whether he needs support and if he does, is it near him. That is what determines the final decision.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:26 PM
nize
Banned

i'd like to compile a list of side-by-side feature comparisons between what's on the market today. i'm surprised car magazines haven't already done this, like a radar detector shootout.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:27 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by nize
yes. and yes. it can actually hold more if you want to set it up that way, though i don't see why anyone would need more than, say, five settings unless they can actually run 10,000 different types of fuel.

it also has the ability to automatically switch fuel on the fly, so you can run two seperate fuel tanks, and have the system switch to 110octane at 12+psi boost (or whatever) while using 92octane at lower boost, without any user intervention.
How do you switch from map to map?
Old 03-22-2007, 04:43 PM
nize
Banned

there are many ways, all possible on-the-fly and virtually unlimited;

1) with your laptop connected (i would be surprised if other ems did not allow this)
2) with hard plug 'map' modules (about the size of a small usb drive)
3) with the remote control

the memory modules are plug in/out, but could easily be wired inline with switches (or buttons, dials, whatever) so you can select which module to run without having to unplug/replug them.

there might be other ways which i haven't figured out yet.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:49 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The AEM system for $7000 is with tuning all set and ready to go. I hate having to tune and tweek and I don't know how to do it anyway. I'm going to learn when I get it but right now I want it in and running perfectly for good. What are other prices for other systems.
Chris, what does a TecIII system go for installed and tuned. Others? What did you pay?
Old 03-22-2007, 04:49 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DanG
Come on Chris, that one's obvious. Its because the only system that's the best is the one the poster has! Or has read lots of threads about on the intarweb.

Following that logic of course, the ONLY answer in standalones starts with Mega and ends with 'squirt! Its the ugly red-headed stepchild of the industry, which I'd like to blame primarily on its uber-low entry fee, and predictably uber-low experience level of the cheapskates and forum geeks that use it. You don't see too many of them on $50k+ race cars, although I believe they are just as up to the task. They certainly measure up on paper. I'll be running it on my $500 24hrs of LeMons volvo, as well as my $4k engine'd 951.

While the system itself has EXCELLENT support, there are only a small handful of guys using it on our cars. I'm cool with that, but not many other people are.

It is hard to compete with Mega- squirt , TOYS R US usually discounts them and there is one on every corner

love all the low level hype , with this unreliable , no support stuff, a lot of dis- information on this . would love to see one of these toy R's us system somewhere , the dyno , track something PLeeeeeaseee enough banter , disconnect it from the internet as i would like to see the mushroom cloud
Old 03-22-2007, 04:51 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

since i've been using AEM, i've found their support is top notch so far. i'm in constant contact directly with their programmers and engineers. i don't know many companies that will provide that kind of after-sale support.
Most companies don; need to , there customers are busy driving
Old 03-22-2007, 04:52 PM
nize
Banned

somebody needs to make a turn-key plug-and-play megasquirt solution for the 951.

but then it would probably cost $5000.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:53 PM
nize
Banned

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Most companies don;t need , there customers are busy driving
heheh, they're actually answering some newbie questions i have, and listening to my suggestions for the next set of improvements. (like backlight timeout for their dash display).
Old 03-22-2007, 04:54 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris White
Sorry to interupt the infomercial - but what the hell is an Infinitely adjustable fuel quality setting?

you got to love it
Old 03-22-2007, 05:00 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

somebody needs to make a turn-key plug-and-play megasquirt solution for the 951.

but then it would probably cost $5000.
you can use stock crank trigger with some types of aftermarket efi, it has same trigger as audi. it's quite simple and old. it's not like if you have to control the throttle body, transmission or anything.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:04 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
It is hard to compete with Mega- squirt , TOYS R US usually discounts them and there is one on every corner

love all the low level hype , with this unreliable , no support stuff, a lot of dis- information on this . would love to see one of these toy R's us system somewhere , the dyno , track something PLeeeeeaseee enough banter , disconnect it from the internet as i would like to see the mushroom cloud

Bump
Old 03-22-2007, 05:21 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

The thing i like about the TEC 3 is the fact all of the senors are GM which is really of the shelf parts. So if you ever have a problem on the road you can go to a local parts store or the dealer and grab the part.

Chris do you need to adapt any of these sensors in order to make them work and fit on a 951 engine.

Quick Reply: Standalone EMS...?