Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Standalone EMS...?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 06:21 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The Link systems can use regular external GM MAP-sensors too.

I like most people involved in this hot-tempered discussion so instead of taking sides I can try to add some additional hard facts
I agree that most of the systems discussed here aren't in the "professional league" so to speak but I would think there are very few of us here that match that critiera. Well, none. So in order to make comparisons we have to talk about apples and apples, not apples and ... dear stew.

This might sound like a broken record in this thread but for a combined street/track/race car I cannot think of any more attractive package than the Link systems. Some of the things that helps in everyday life are:
* Closed loop idle control. Works super smooth!! You'll have better than factory idle set up in minutes. You can use your stock 3-wire ISV too.
* Coolant temp dependant rpm limit. Great safety feature.
* Coolant temp dependant boost limit. Both soft and hard boost limit.
* Closed loop knock control if you want it.
* 4d-mapping if you want to add some extra compensations
* Oil pressure dependant limiter. Might save you an engine on the track.
* The trigger input filters and configurable tresholds - you can almost work around bad sensors.. Useful at times!
* A very good and user friendly software

Now I probably forgot half of the important stuff but that's the best I can do waking up from a week of fever...

So when they finally get the firmware done for cloosed loop boost control it will be a pretty damn good package
Are there better systems available? Probably, there always is. Just make sure you pay for the things you value for your application.

Hmm let's see if we can come up with useful stuff for a street/track application the Link does NOT have?
Just a thing from the top of my mind is the in built oscilloscope function that the DTA S-systems has. The DTA traction control stuff is pretty cool too.

Time to crawl back under my rock
Old 02-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by evil 944t
I call BS on this.

I want a dyno chart proving no HP loss due to your alternator working harder to power such a device and I will buy 10.
It uses F1 technology - regenerative disco balling....
Old 02-13-2009, 07:19 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
But can you configure it to spin faster based on the cars speed, and spin clockwise while in boost and counter clockwise while in vacuum?
Old 02-13-2009, 07:36 PM
CPR
Race Director

[QUOTE=A.Wayne;6281860]I'm sorry the other Patrick i was talking to ....
333 has one so it is valuable to me to hear his take , as i'm also interested in a lInk G4 , if it is as good as Evil say's it is ..

333, did the link come with a harness ? can i buy directly from Australia ?

CPR:

I find your questioning offensive , now you are saying that asking another member about his experiences as being "argumentative " why are you attacking me ?[/
QUOTE]

Mr. Wayne,
Well I find your entire tone, childish rhetoric and your lack of ability to add anything of pertinent value to this thread offensive.

And put the third grade "innocent" tactic on the shelf, no one here, MOD's or otherwise, are buying into it. You have offered nothing in the way of technical experiences, documentation or proof of what YOU have actually accomplished.

I have spent alot of time re-reading your posts dating back quite sometime today, and now understand alot of the negative comments other members have proferred in the last few days.

Further it is not a personal attack, so you can cease with reporting it to the moderators....or not, I suppose all need a good laugh every now and then.

So, Mr. Wayne, to get back on topic, what system on your car (and what car?) do you prefer? Why? Can you please post dyno sheets/charts to supplement your claim? REAL pictures would also be nice...because as you know, asking members for "real life" experiences is not argumentative, just extremely informative.

Thank you in advance for your upcoming post with your pictures of your car, dyno charts, your system of choice with rational and intelligent statements as to why.

Coffee's on, I have all night.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:36 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
Does it come with a grounding strap? I heard a Williams crew member got sent the the hospital with a bad electrical shock.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:41 PM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

Does it come with a grounding strap? I heard a Williams crew member got sent the the hospital with a bad electrical shock.
Yea most people dont realize carbon in F1 cars is a awesome conductor, wouldnt want to get tazed
Old 02-13-2009, 09:46 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CPR
So, Mr. Wayne, to get back on topic, what system on your car (and what car?) do you prefer? Why? Can you please post dyno sheets/charts to supplement your claim? REAL pictures would also be nice...because as you know, asking members for "real life" experiences is not argumentative, just extremely informative.

Coffee's on, I have all night.
It better be a HUGE pot of coffee. I asked 3 times and got nothing but his typical deflection. I don't think he even owns a car. He just has half truths fabricated by this forums best and twists them into drama that is not needed.

I have tried to get this thread back on track for 2 days. Since he has nothing good to say, I will no longer respond.

I would also like Chris White to stop selling supercharged Disco *****. I'm not even sure they are all 50 states legal??
Old 02-13-2009, 09:55 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Ah, the dry humor of a Chicagoan.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:00 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Dave we value your input. Don't let A. Wayne run you off.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:07 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BrendanC
Ah, the dry humor of a Chicagoan.
I'm actually from the East Coast BUT, Yes, dry humor. Actually, if you knew me, you would know I have no agenda or reason to makeup useless crap on RL. I can give a crap if you use a Link or any standalone. They are not for everyone but if you tried a newer Link g3/g4, I feel its the best ECU to start with.. The price, functions and support is great.

Chris White Loves Tec 3. That being said, I know very little about it so, I would listen and learn. I would not come on here and berate anyone for not liking it.

I bet if we were talking up Motec or Haltec, the thread would have taken a different turn.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:09 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kool
Dave we value your input. Don't let A. Wayne run you off.
Thanks, I'm not running anywhere. I like it here
Old 02-14-2009, 01:13 AM
CPR
Race Director

It better be a HUGE pot of coffee. I asked 3 times and got nothing but his typical deflection. I don't think he even owns a car. He just has half truths fabricated by this forums best and twists them into drama that is not needed.

I have tried to get this thread back on track for 2 days. Since he has nothing good to say, I will no longer respond.

I would also like Chris White to stop selling supercharged Disco *****. I'm not even sure they are all 50 states legal??

Pot of coffee #2...just'a waitin'.....
Old 02-14-2009, 01:44 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm actually from the East Coast BUT, Yes, dry humor. Actually, if you knew me, you would know I have no agenda or reason to makeup useless crap on RL. I can give a crap if you use a Link or any standalone.
I had already made my my mind up before I dove in here. I just wanted to share what I had stored up over time. I sure hope to hell it translates to real world when I get a link/vipec.

Ah, east coast+chicago.

If you ever get to the west coast be aware of the culture shock. Its not that there is no dry humor here at all, its just that the humor seems to come from a different place.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:50 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BrendanC
I had already made my my mind up before I dove in here. I just wanted to share what I had stored up over time. I sure hope to hell it translates to real world when I get a link/vipec.

Ah, east coast+chicago.

If you ever get to the west coast be aware of the culture shock. Its not that there is no dry humor here at all, its just that the humor seems to come from a different place.

Lol, I have been to So Cal many times. I visit on a regular basis. You know some of my friends down there. I like it but have to many roots here otherwise, I would be there. I can adapt and overcome any humor barrier.

I'm intrested in the Vipec and Ray Halls "plans". The ecu is an identical rebadge of the Link and when I asked Link about his "software plans" their answer was, we have no time to write software for anybody. So, I was just wondering what he is doing?? Doesn't matter to me either way, just wondering.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:13 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey I'm east coast and I don't make remarks like that. Oops, I started believing my own BS.

Quick Reply: Standalone EMS...?