Old 02-13-2009, 10:23 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
B TW – for a limited time only, special free offer - I will program a tec system to spin a mirrored disco ball based on engine speed with the color illumination based on boost and a strobe light based on intake temps.
I'll take one! While at it, would you add a push button to zap people when their B.S. gets too deep?
Old 02-13-2009, 10:39 AM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about something more useful. Like when the humidity gets too high the windshield wipers come on.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:07 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by fast951
I'll take one! While at it, would you add a push button to zap people when their B.S. gets too deep?
Might need to add a seocnd battery to get enough amperage...
Old 02-13-2009, 01:16 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there a TEC or GT4 (Link) installer/dealer/tuner list by state somewhere?
Old 02-13-2009, 01:16 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by evil 944t
Yup, its very easy. When I was mapping my street car, I just set my target a/f's and then went to the rpm/load map. I left foot broke and applied gas through about 1/2 the tuning cells. By the time I got to the dyno, I had a little more then half the tuning done. Once your on the dyno, you just use the dyno to hold it in the remaining cells and watch the fuel table self adjust. On the dyno, you should be able to tune a/f's in about 45 minutes and then start on the timing.
Using the knock block and watching the torque, you can finish the tuning in about 1 hour(depending on the dyno operator, etc..)
i would love to hear Patrick's take on this

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I seem to remember a possible group buy on a LINK system with harness for around +/- $3k from memory? Going back some time, but I remember it sounding good value. Not sure if it's still on the table.
AHHH PATRICK YOU ARE BACK, could you please explain to us how you found the link to perform , where you able to perform as above and get everything done in 1 hr on the dyno ?
Old 02-13-2009, 01:27 PM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by A.Wayne

AHHH PATRICK YOU ARE BACK, could you please explain to us how you found the link to perform , where you able to perform as above and get everything done in 1 hr on the dyno ?
Mr. Wayne,

I beleive all parties have moved on and back to the original topic, which as interesting as I usually find your posts, seems like the best course for you as well.

I have no ties to any product, as I can honestly say I am not equipped via past experiences to comment or endorse any of them. However, I think you are continually baiting others here into an arguement that seems to have no other redeeming factor other than to play to some childish form of personal amusement.

The others have said what the feel about the products, as have you about the ones you feel comfortable with. If you wish to hide behind a screen that is fine and is your right, but the condescending tone you continue to exhibit to the other contributors in this thread, while not showing/proving anything on your end is ridiculous at best.

The arguements have subsided in your absence, Leave it at that, please.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:30 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ill be more blunt than Patrick.

Get lost, youve contributed NOTHING to this discussion and we all know that you wont.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:45 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CPR
Mr. Wayne,

I beleive all parties have moved on and back to the original topic, which as interesting as I usually find your posts, seems like the best course for you as well.

I have no ties to any product, as I can honestly say I am not equipped via past experiences to comment or endorse any of them. However, I think you are continually baiting others here into an arguement that seems to have no other redeeming factor other than to play to some childish form of personal amusement.

The others have said what the feel about the products, as have you about the ones you feel comfortable with. If you wish to hide behind a screen that is fine and is your right, but the condescending tone you continue to exhibit to the other contributors in this thread, while not showing/proving anything on your end is ridiculous at best.

The arguements have subsided in your absence, Leave it at that, please.
I'm sorry the other Patrick i was talking to ....
333 has one so it is valuable to me to hear his take , as i'm also interested in a lInk G4 , if it is as good as Evil say's it is ..

333, did the link come with a harness ? can i buy directly from Australia ?

CPR:

I find your questioning offensive , now you are saying that asking another member about his experiences as being "argumentative " why are you attacking me ?
Old 02-13-2009, 01:53 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Link comes with a Flying loom.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:54 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BrendanC
Link comes with a Flying loom.
OK,... then you make up your own harness .....
Do they provide start up maps or plug and play maps? Have you tried one before ?

Brandon ,
I have also noticed it uses a built in map sensor , Hmmm, this could be a problem unless you have the ecu very close to the intake manifold ....

What if the map fails ? you would have to send back the ecu i guess .......
Old 02-13-2009, 02:20 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

OK,... then you make up your own harness .....
Well, it comes with the wires terminated in the ECU end for everything. You cut short what you do not want. It also seems to come with a CLT and AIT sensor. You would have to terminate anything else you bought as well, or you would buy a completed custom harness for $$$.

Do they provide start up maps or plug and play maps? Have you tried one before ?
Each car is different so your vendor may or may not supply a simple "start map" that can get you on a trailer. If you have a WB02, you could easily at least get it to idle and rev slightly with quicktune. Any serious power tuning must always be done on a dyno (load based, as you mentioned - eddy current).

All these systems, link, Vipec, Haltech, have "plug and play" systems but I do not own a Japanese car, so....

[QUOTE=A.Wayne;6281923]
Brandon ,
I have also noticed it uses a built in map sensor , Hmmm, this could be a problem unless you have the ecu very close to the intake manifold ....

Built in, but it also has wires in the loom for a "higher" map sensor. But your comment on "close to the intake manifold" is technically not true, as many people have tested the "long map vac line" issue and found that even with dozens of feet, as long as you are not using some horribly wiggly vac line, then you are fine. Vac and pressure is nearly instantaneous in a small tube.
What if the map fails ? you would have to send back the ecu i guess .......
If you use the internal map, I suppose yes. But like I said, you could just use the loomed wires for a map and stick it right on the intake. Flexibility. These new ECUs have floating pins that can be changed to do several different things. Like the digital pins. No flyback boards needed for low imp injectors, enough inputs and outputs that they can run "computers on wheels" like the GTR.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:48 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

^^ So you are saying you can use an outboard map sensr and not the inboard one?

Have you tried a G4 before ? features on paper really don't tell me how functionable and usable the applications really are.

DO you know the cost of a G4 with flying loom ?
Old 02-13-2009, 03:18 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Storm or the 4Cyl ECU has an inbuilt 2.5B Map sensor, but can use the Link external Map sensors. Link makes 2 external sensors, 2.5B or 5 bar. Both look like their Igniters in really nice extrusions. The 8 Cyl ECU only uses the external sensor.

The G4 systems are ungoing a price change at the present. I spoke to Neil (US Distributor) this morning and he told me that the $ has risen against the NZ dollar, so they will be adjusting the prices down a little. Good news for all. CEP is a dealer and has fully terminated harnesses I told and has full maps available. Niot stsrt up but tuned maps that can be used. I'm sure you need to change from there, but the system will allow you to change really easy. I challenge anyone here to tune with one of these and fail. It cannot be done. They are so easy to use. It's no surprize that alot of Motec Dealers are now selling these units.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:09 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

^^ So you are saying you can use an outboard map sensr and not the inboard one?

Have you tried a G4 before ? features on paper really don't tell me how functionable and usable the applications really are.

DO you know the cost of a G4 with flying loom ?
M42 explained it better. The G4 extreme/Vipec V88 has wires for an external. Thats what I was planning on using anyway.

I understand the issue with features - but the people who HAVE tuned the new series of units have given very good reviews. Issues are handled quickly as well.

You can see for yourself at the VIPEC and LINK forums.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:13 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris White
BTW – for a limited time only, special free offer - I will program a tec system to spin a mirrored disco ball based on engine speed with the color illumination based on boost and a strobe light based on intake temps.

I call BS on this.

I want a dyno chart proving no HP loss due to your alternator working harder to power such a device and I will buy 10.

Quick Reply: Standalone EMS...?