Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Standalone EMS...?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 11:32 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theedge
Dave just stop responding to him! Hes shown almost 8000 times on Rennlist that hes has nothing of any substance to post and no knowledge to speak of. Just ignore him.

Yup, I know.. I can't help myself... Its like drinking beer.. you start with one, then five, then 17 and the next thing you know, your hanging out with CPR, picking up cheap hookers and singing Meatloaf tunes.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:41 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by m42racer
I love the way it can tune to a specific AFR number automatically and then allow you to change the AFR number and the number in the main fule table is changed to meet thuis new AFR number. Thuis can be done without dyno tuning. I am not fully conversant with this feature, so maybe somelse here can chime in and tell exactly how this works. Its a neat feature. maybe others have this or similar too. Juast real handy when you are at the track and need to make a change.

Dave, can you explain this feature better?

Yup, its very easy. When I was mapping my street car, I just set my target a/f's and then went to the rpm/load map. I left foot broke and applied gas through about 1/2 the tuning cells. By the time I got to the dyno, I had a little more then half the tuning done. Once your on the dyno, you just use the dyno to hold it in the remaining cells and watch the fuel table self adjust. On the dyno, you should be able to tune a/f's in about 45 minutes and then start on the timing.
Using the knock block and watching the torque, you can finish the tuning in about 1 hour(depending on the dyno operator, etc..)
Old 02-12-2009, 11:46 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by evil 944t
Yup, I know.. I can't help myself... Its like drinking beer.. you start with one, then five, then 17 and the next thing you know, your hanging out with CPR, picking up cheap hookers and singing Meatloaf tunes.
Ahhh...but at least I don't argue semantics

And picking up hookers is alot easier than tuning a standalone...plug and play, baby...plug and play.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:57 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CPR
Ahhh...but at least I don't argue semantics

And picking up hookers is alot easier than tuning a standalone...plug and play, baby...plug and play.
hehe, I thought you'd like that..

true dat.. when I see hookers, I think, plug and pay.

Nah, IMHO, the newer standalones are very easy. Its just that, on top of the high price, the older versions were not friendly and the support was not there.

Now that things have advanced so much and we have better communications, internet, etc.. support is easy to get and the standalones are getting easier to tune. The prices have come down and the features keep getting better. On top of that, you use new wiring and don't need to change chips or whatever..
Old 02-13-2009, 12:02 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nah, IMHO, the newer standalones are very easy. Its just that, on top of the high price, the older versions were not friendly and the support was not there.

Now that things have advanced so much and we have better communications, internet, etc.. support is easy to get and the standalones are getting easier to tune. The prices have come down and the features keep getting better. On top of that, you use new wiring and don't need to change chips or whatever..
It is weird...I can design and build a high voltage power sub-station, high rise office buildings, shopping complexes and mix/blend chemical compositions in 10,000 ways....but I hesitate to mess with an EMS system.

Makes no sense....
Old 02-13-2009, 12:06 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CPR
It is weird...I can design and build a high voltage power sub-station, high rise office buildings, shopping complexes and mix/blend chemical compositions in 10,000 ways....but I hesitate to mess with an EMS system.

Makes no sense....
1. Stop trying to make sense. B. Grab a beer and take the bull by the horns. Its easy.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:06 AM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

Hookers, beer.... ah, if only I could teleport
does YOUR standalone have that feature?

Last edited by spoolin51; 02-13-2009 at 05:58 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:04 AM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

Prices have come down you say..... So the best bang for buck in YOUR opinion Dave would be? and price....
Old 02-13-2009, 07:33 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

I seem to remember a possible group buy on a LINK system with harness for around +/- $3k from memory? Going back some time, but I remember it sounding good value. Not sure if it's still on the table.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:21 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I seem to remember a possible group buy on a LINK system with harness for around +/- $3k from memory? Going back some time, but I remember it sounding good value. Not sure if it's still on the table.
That was for thr G3+ (similar to the G4 extreme). The g4 storm(which is the cheaper of the two). The dollar is strong so, I think ecu and harness is more around $2400. I haven't check in a while but the price is coming down.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:57 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

...singing Meatloaf tunes.
Now you have crossed the line.....
Old 02-13-2009, 09:03 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Go carbs! Carbs!
I would at least have saved me a lot of reading
Old 02-13-2009, 09:35 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

So its about time for me to chime in with my ‘usual’ comments on EMS – maybe with a slight twist.
EMS are like computers (OK, they are computers!) and what they can be made to do for you is as much dependent on the person setting it up and their familiarity with the hardware/software.
Just like a desktop computer, buying the highest powered computer available with state of the art CAD software linked to a $200k CNC center does not mean that you will be cranking out prototype parts tomorrow. In fact you can crank out nice parts with some old CAD software and a CNC rig with a 20 year old controller that is not much smarter than a calculator.
Its about the support you will get and the knowledge on how to make the system do what you want it to. As an example the Tec systems have programmable outputs (as do many other) and these outputs can be programmed to do anything you want (as long as you know how). I could use the programmable pulse width output to modulate your built in seat massager based on engine load, rpm or whatever. Different systems have different ways of interfacing with the end user, some have the software already set up with the controls for cam timing and such set up, in reality its just a subroutine to control a pulse width output (with is basically all the spark and fuel drivers are doing too!).
An interesting example is an application for the Tec stuff that I worked on developing – I can reprogram a tec system via a wireless system at the track while it is being driven – this also supports pit side telemetry (and not on a F1 budget!).
So, my usual comment is to seek out the best support you can get. Find a supplier that really understands their system and they should be able to make it do anything you want. You also want to find a manufacturer that will has a good track record and will stand behind their product.
B TW – for a limited time only, special free offer - I will program a tec system to spin a mirrored disco ball based on engine speed with the color illumination based on boost and a strobe light based on intake temps.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:37 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Duke
Go carbs! Carbs!
I would at least have saved me a lot of reading
Carbs suck.....
Old 02-13-2009, 10:21 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
.... I could use the programmable pulse width output to modulate your built in seat massager based on engine load, rpm or whatever. .
I'm not sure what to think about this one! You do lots of driving, don't you? LOL

Quick Reply: Standalone EMS...?