Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Standalone EMS...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 06:15 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Is it possible to run an EMS in conjunction with this knock controller? I have read a bit on this and it seems very good.

http://www.jandssafeguard.com/
Old 06-24-2007, 06:39 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well that depends if you ecu is able to do somthing effective with the knock signal . I'm working on it at the moment when i get back home see my thread "how klr inerphases with dme"
but there are heaps of knock moniters you can get to hook to the sensors left on the block you can then hook them up to a massive shift light with a $ sticker on it to get you lift your foot .
Old 06-24-2007, 10:34 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
well that depends if you ecu is able to do something effective with the knock signal . I'm working on it at the moment when i get back home see my thread "how klr interfaces with dme"
but there are heaps of knock monitors you can get to hook to the sensors left on the block you can then hook them up to a massive shift light with a $ sticker on it to get you lift your foot .
Hah, great concept with the $$$ signs and that's EXACTLY what it is too.
I suppose you could just run those 2 independently or in parallel? Did you check that knock controller out, it looks very good to me. It used to be, or still maybe sold by Lindsey. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who is running it?

Last edited by 333pg333; 06-24-2007 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:08 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Is it possible to run an EMS in conjunction with this knock controller? I have read a bit on this and it seems very good.

Yes, it runs sort of like a 951's KLR. The only downside is you need to have your ignition system planned out in advance. When you buy a SafeGuard you choose the number of "channels" it has. Each channel is for an ignition output, so if youre running wasted spark on a 4 cyl you need 2 channels, COP then 4 channels.

It takes the ignition signal from the ECU whatever it may be, then delays it if theres knock before passing it on to the ignition driver (coilpack, etc etc).
Old 06-24-2007, 03:12 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To say there is no such thing as belt stretch is no right. However, this is something that is more thought to happen than actual. I know that when I used this system there was no signs of stretch. It was checked on the dyno at all speeds. The testing was done to see how big to make the teeth in width. This way, if any stretch was present. the tooth would never leave the sensor.

As for 24-1, this was chosen as its a common tooth count and the software was already written. The missing tooth gives the sync and on ther Cam allows for sequential fuel and Ignition.

The system I use can run the factory sensors, 60-2 on the Crank, 12,24,36 etc. It all comes down to what triggering the system can support. I chose the 24-1 as I wanted sequential control and saw no reason to fit another wheel to the crank and one on the Cam.

A Wayne, PM me and I will tell you who to call for the sensors, the wheel etc.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:54 PM
nize
Banned

yes! that is the best knock solution !

Old 06-24-2007, 03:57 PM
nize
Banned

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
but there are heaps of knock moniters you can get to hook to the sensors left on the block you can then hook them up to a massive shift light with a $ sticker on it to get you lift your foot .
this defeats the purpose of a good ems solution. why not convert your motor to carbureted while you're at it?
Old 06-24-2007, 03:58 PM
nize
Banned

Did you check that knock controller out, it looks very good to me. I used to be, or still maybe sold by Lindsey. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who is running it?
lindsey is the wolf3d.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:06 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

so does it pull timing like the klr i remember considering it years ago and for what it costs your better served going with high end ecu that has it on board
link motec autronic.
i still think i will be able to use the klr when with my ems when i do the research
Old 06-24-2007, 06:13 PM
nize
Banned

it does pull timing even better than the klr. up to an insane 40 degrees which is more than any other standalone, although anything over 20degrees is overkill.

it can even pull boost just like the stock porsche system, which no other standalone ems can do so far.

read the reviews i've linked in my earlier post on here.

maybe it's just me, but i'd rather go with a product from a company that specializes and lives and dies by knock control rather than a one-stop-kmart-style-shop ecu that attempts to do it all and does it poorly.

motec is great, but it also costs double the price of the wolf and is still not plug-and-play nor is it easier to use.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:19 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless the J&S is a 'special version' made, then it is limited to 20degrees of ignition timing retard @ 2degree increments. (selectable to 1degree increments for a total of 10degrees retard).

Rogue
Old 06-24-2007, 10:24 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

with the high end ecus like motec and autronic you are limited only by your imagination you can programe and input to to change any output anyway you like directly or inversly . a motec or autronic can do it toochay nize but yes you do need to be a profeesor of efi to do it yes its tricky. But the LINK nz ecu does run knock conrol and does pull timing and boost .
And as for one stop kmart shop ecus compared to the almighting safe gauard gurus
SKOFFF!!!
Motec wrote the book on all things efi in 1984 and then some of those guys started Autronic and all of them would take safegaurd to school.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:43 PM
Geneqco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My understanding from talking to Motec and Autronic is that they don't yet have knock control... Motec said they can only log it at this stage and the Autronic distributor said it's planned but that has been the case for the past couple of years. In any case, Wolf is also has a knock control module that will be released once testing is complete.

There is also a new J&S model.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:58 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

using my soap box to step down off my high horse for a minute to ask . so the wolf is working out ok for you guys ??
i will give them credit they are the only one i know that offer 944 in kit form .
and you say you have heaps of spare out puts so if you run 4 injector outputs and four coils how many spare outputs do you have to run boost control etc ?
i feel i was a little hasty ruling it out for lack of gimmiky antlag
and it seemed to cost about 30% more than what i have with antilag.

but if the expierence of applying the ecu is easy to access as it seems to be for wolf you cant put a price on it .
My ecu is better in "theory" than the wolf but until it runs on my car i'm full of **** .
someone should have told me
Old 06-24-2007, 11:16 PM
Geneqco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about the V400 that most are using but I've attached a spec sheet for the V500 - mine should arrive in the next few days.
Attached Images

Quick Reply: Standalone EMS...?