Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

944 V8 Race car for Sale

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 06:51 PM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lart951
It is priceless to see the guy in the pick up with a WTF??? expression in his face, you know what he was thinking "I thought my lugnuts had more torque than your puny 4 cyl lawnmore engine".
Hahaha, I bet! I own a heavily modded Lightning as well (500rhwp/600rwtq). It turns pretty good too. I don't pick on my Porsche bros with it though. Okay, well maybe 911's

Any pics of Geno's car? It sounds badass!
Old 01-05-2007, 06:56 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DVC
Hahaha, I bet! I own a heavily modded Lightning as well (500rhwp/600rwtq). It turns pretty good too. I don't pick on my Porsche bros with it though. Okay, well maybe 911's

Any pics of Geno's car? It sounds badass!

No yet, he seldom post on the hybrid board under the name of G-man , he was just waiting for some cams and if I am not mistaken he is doing a 383 or 396 stroker conversion on his 86 944 lt-1, and he is also doing the ls-2 on his 89 951. He is like a walking auto encyclopedia, a true car enthusiast.

here is one of his threads

Gman thread
Old 01-05-2007, 11:01 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lart951
I am glad to see that someone finally figure it out, 400rwhp in a v8 are not equal to 400rwhp in a 4 cyl turbo, you are correct, the 400rwhp on the turbo don't have any power, all those dyno sheets with 4cyl turbos showing 400rwhpo are fake, I have talked to a number of dyno operator that confesed to making up the numbers.
I agree with you. Even my dyno sheets are made in photoshop, lol.

There is nothing in this world comparable to the power of a v8 engine, turbo engines suck that's why nobody use them anymore because they are obsolete, the ls7 engine on the C6 is the most advanced engine in the world, I have heard rumors that ferrari, porsche, subaru and toyota were trying to buy ls7 engines for their entire fleet. Imagine the huge power of a Ls7 7.0L V8 engine producing an incredible 500hp, that my friend is technology, all those puny 4 cyl engines rated at 300-400 hp out a 2.L are junk.

JPR you are d'man, as a matter of fact I am going to buy me a v8, Oh damn I already own V8's. lol.

Hey anybody wants to buy a 951 with 350 fake rwhp?
Lart ,
I just noticed something , that's an awful lot of cars you have listed there. damn, i could take one for the weekend and you would not even notice.

where do you park all those damn cars
Old 01-05-2007, 11:08 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPR
I’m glad you finally come the this realization on your own

Really, I’ve had 3 951 turbo engines before this one, from stock to fully knife edged, camed, vitesse turbo, maf, injectors, p&p head etc. And although they performed well, there is still no comparison to the V8 in terms of performance. I don't know how our cars run on a mod to mod versus all other brands (corvette, viper etc.) I don’t street race. But on the same car (my current one), I’ve had both engines, and that is what I base may conclusion on, not hearsay or videos. I’ve seen Flavios car on the track many times kick all but the best prepared full racers (including ferrari, viper, 911, and other fast 951's)not as much during cornering but down the straits and under acceleration out of turns.

I realize that the V8 is not your thing Lart and that’s ok. I was not much of a fan until I rode in a German Performance conversion and then got back into my 951. But don’t tell that a high hp 4cyl engine, which usually has a power curve that looks like the start of a roller coaster ride is the same as that of a V8 that give more than 70% of peak torque at 1400 rpm

In any case, enlightenment is good thing, no matter when it happens

Jpr
I have seen that car run before , IT IS FAST . but we also have some very fast 4 cyl 951's i would say they are different , the v8 converted car is not done to be faster , mostly different as the power can be matched with the 4 cyl , again 2 totally different personalities, you roll your own
Old 01-05-2007, 11:13 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Lart ,
I just noticed something , that's an awful lot of cars you have listed there. damn, i could take one for the weekend and you would not even notice.

where do you park all those damn cars

My house is listed for sale , I am looking for a bigger house with a detached garage minimun lot size 21000 sq feet. Right now I have to leave one car at work and I pay my neighbor for usage of his driveway to park the Mustangs, he has a long drive way. To make it worst I 30 minutes ago I sent some money for a deposit on another 87 951 but this one I might repaired for my oldest boy.

I never thought that I was going to become a auto recycler, my only fear is that I know that there is a limited amount of turbos in the USA, maybe i'll start parting 928's that will bring me a lot of joy.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:14 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice car, but I have one question. HRE wheels? What the HELL were you thinking??!?!

HRE = Death on the track.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:17 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
I have seen that car run before , IT IS FAST . but we also have some very fast 4 cyl 951's i would say they are different , the v8 converted car is not done to be faster , mostly different as the power can be matched with the 4 cyl , again 2 totally different personalities, you roll your own
That is correct, talking seriously without BS, the turbo car requires more of the driver to keep at it's optimal power band, while the v8 is easier to drive since it has a much broader power band. Turbo also requires special attention at the turns since the turbo power does come more abruptly than the v8 motor.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:21 PM
Guns951
Race Car

I don't care how you make power, but I do have one question. If you can buy a 505bhp motor out the box with no mods, why not spend another 10k to make it almost a 1,000 hp? I mean since you're already there why not right? For a over 1,000 hp car I can see the legitimacy of the V8, I'd rather see a TT V8 from a Porsche in there but if you're over 1,000 usable hp who would care? (It would have to handle like a Porsche though, none of this straight line crap).
Old 01-05-2007, 11:44 PM
Clown Pedro
Instructor

Think about what your saying 10 grand isn't a trivial amount of money and 1000 hp is a pretty absurd amount of power if your not using it in an all out drag car.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:55 PM
Guns951
Race Car

Yes true, but if you just spent $12.5k on the motor, $20k for the install with parts, at least $13k on body work....what's another $10k to make that bad boy the baddest of them all? Answer? Nothing, nothing at all. Cars like that aren't constructed to be budget racers....yes everyone has a budget to build by like I do, but that's like building a crazy a$$ motor and not touching anything else.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:06 AM
Clown Pedro
Instructor

I don't think a conversion would cost that much money, for the motor i doubt people are buying LS7 crate engiens instead of ripping an ls2 out of a camaro. I understand what your saying about going all out if your already commiting such a great amoutn of money, but you have to keep in mind that there is no point in going all out if you can't use your car for anything except drag racing or highway racing(unless that is what you want).

Another thing you said is cars like that aren't built budget to be racers, but if you are talking about conversions, i think the reason many people do conversions is because tehy are on a budget. Its just to cheap to get hp with an american v8 especially any modern chevy v8. Enthusiests who can't afford a brand new sport's car or to make high hp on a certain platform switch to v8 conversions beacuse they are in the end cheaper and have more room to grow (as you pointed out many v8s are capable of 1000hp).
Old 01-06-2007, 12:16 AM
Guns951
Race Car

I hear you Mr. Clown...personally I'd love to have a 951 with over 1,000 hp just to have one . Its like the 900whp 911s, can they use all that power? Not really, but its sure nice to have.

I like the rare stuff, and yes for a good swap done right just to install and all the accessories costs around 20k. If it was me, I'd sure as hell be dropping in a new motor.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:26 AM
Clown Pedro
Instructor

I think everyone would like to have a 1,000 hp 951 ,but instead of having fun most people would poop their pants when they spin their tires at 150+ mph. I also know the price of a well done conversion ( I read teh v8 conversion thread on here awhiel back), but keep in mind high dollar hybrids represent a small percentage of the whole community most people do conversions themeselves with teh help of friends. Anyways goodluck on your project car Mr. Guns...
Old 01-06-2007, 12:31 AM
sandwood
Instructor

mike gokey and co. have some aces up their sleeves down at German Performance.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:52 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Well, since Mr JPR's thread has gone OT here, I thought I would bring this to the table now. Here is a web site of a gorgeous car that is a 951 conversion. I don't know if it is still for sale, but it sure is sweet. If you visit the web site below, it will have tons and tons of data, specs on the car, nice pics, and a video to hear the car too. I have nothing to do with this project car in anyway, I just happen to know that the owner is a fellow Rennlister on here. Many people know him too.

Look here at this ---> Red 951 Conversion

Quick Reply: 944 V8 Race car for Sale