Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

OT. Where I work.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 09:28 AM
Lanny Curlett
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT. Where I work.....

...... on today the shortest daylight day of the year it gets full light by 09:30 and will be dark again by 15:30. Temperatures in January / February can dip below minus 40. (The temp hit minus 39 in Nov. already!!!!) I have the net by satellite so trolling the 'List, Pelican and E Bay for good '51 parts is my entertainment. SO I ask myself why????

OK. To all you 951 guys. Who works where and who has the most exteme work in terms of climate, responsibility, danger, hours and any other criteria we care to apply? This community covers so many industries, ages of members, occupations that I think it would be interesting to find out some details from everyone who wants to play. I'm a drilling consultant drilling oil and gas wells all over Western Canada with 24/7 responsibility and I have spent time in an Air Ambulance. I know Bret is a Master on a Deep Water, Dynamically Positioned Semi-Submersible Drilling Rig in the GOM. Guns 951 (just going by his avatar) might have some interesting things to say as well. So C'mon guys....who does what where?

Lets see how 951 guys compare to N/A guys. Is there a cojones aspect to 951 /N/a?

Lanny
Old 12-22-2006, 11:02 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

I am a crab fisherman in Alaska....J/k i am a intern and a part time mechanic for extra money to buy go fast parts for my 951
Old 12-22-2006, 11:26 AM
jakery
resident n00b
Rennlist Member

i am a designer and i have to work on a G5 all day. This thig gets so hot that my left leg is always warmer then my right. I've asked IT if they could move it over a few feet, but they say that they cannot. I do have a desk fan taped under my desk, but that makes my right leg cold. So here i sit dangerously close to high powered machine, and if it blow up, would possibly smoke for a few seconds. It is a real risk, but i'm willing to take it to be a designer.
~jake
Old 12-22-2006, 12:05 PM
MrNasty951
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok...I'am a professional Bum,lol No I'am a finance Manager for a car dealership.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:30 PM
Lanny Curlett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by reno808
I am a crab fisherman in Alaska....J/k i am a intern and a part time mechanic for extra money to buy go fast parts for my 951
Isn't that considered to be one of the worlds most dangerous jobs?? Don't they even do TV shows about how you guys bite the dust???
Old 12-22-2006, 12:57 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

I do high-angle rope access inspections of various structures such as dams, vertical shafts, radial gates, pipelines, and hydroelectric penstocks. The rest of the time I'm a lowly corrosion engineer saving the World from rust.

My next Turbocharger..will it fit an NA?

Last edited by KuHL 951; 12-22-2006 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:05 PM
Lanny Curlett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
I do high-angle rope access inspections of various structures such as dams, vertical shafts, radial gates, pipelines, and hydroelectric penstocks. The rest of the time I'm a lowly corrosion engineer saving the World from rust.

My next Tuirbocharger..will it fit an NA?
Gotta ask. Does the hockey helemt mean you're "special" or is it required? sS Seriously, it has to be pretty interesting work and certainly right up there for "High Risk" ( no pun).
Old 12-22-2006, 01:08 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve, (KuHl951)
Do you use any DBI/Sala equipment for your work??

I am the Global Operations VP for a Fall Protection company (Capital Safety/DBI Sala/Protecta) We build the stuff for all you crazies that work at heights. Three people a day in the US fall to their deaths. We try to make that number lower.

Paper cut is the worst thing I have to worry about on the job however....
Old 12-22-2006, 01:10 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My next Tuirbocharger..will it fit an NA?

steve, posting these pictures tempts me to post the testarossa_td version of the first one.

i'm a glorfied office lackey. i put the fire under an HMO's *** when they mess up a patient's care.

Old 12-22-2006, 01:13 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95Juan
steve, posting these pictures tempts me to post the testarossa_td version of the first one.

i'm a glorfied office lackey. i put the fire under an HMO's *** when they mess up a patient's care.

Go ahead, it's Christmas and I promise not to kill your entire family!
Old 12-22-2006, 01:18 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lanny Curlett
Isn't that considered to be one of the worlds most dangerous jobs?? Don't they even do TV shows about how you guys bite the dust???
YEA it is.
Kuhl 951 Cool Job
Old 12-22-2006, 01:29 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by f1rocks
Steve, (KuHl951)
Do you use any DBI/Sala equipment for your work??

I am the Global Operations VP for a Fall Protection company (Capital Safety/DBI Sala/Protecta) We build the stuff for all you crazies that work at heights. Three people a day in the US fall to their deaths. We try to make that number lower.
Actually we don't come under standard fall protection guidelines. Our governing rules are From SPRAT (Society of Professional Rope Access Technicians). Our equipment is predominantly alpine or climbing equipment. Our preference in harnesses is Bates and hardware is Petzl. The difference between the two type is your regulations prevent 'further' injury from falling in the work environment. For all practical purposes we have already 'fallen' since we work under loaded ropes anfd set anchors just like climbers would. The training is great and all those 9 to 1 advantage setups with pulleys come in real handy getting those disabled 951's up my driveway and into the garage all by myself I'm getting too old for the work though and will step down as climb coordinator after 12 years.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:39 PM
Lanny Curlett
Burning Brakes

Actually we don't come under standard fall protection guidelines. Our governing rules are From SPRAT (Society of Professional Rope Access Technicians). Our equipment is predominantly alpine or climbing equipment. Our preference in harnesses is Bates and hardware is Petzl. The difference between the two type is your regulations prevent 'further' injury from falling in the work environment. For all practical purposes we have already 'fallen' since we work under loaded ropes anfd set anchors just like climbers would. The training is great and all those 9 to 1 advantage setups with pulleys come in real handy getting those disabled 951's up my driveway and into the garage all by myself I'm getting too old for the work though and will step down as climb coordinator after 12 years.

Make sure you only "step" down!!
Old 12-22-2006, 01:44 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

steve- that is completely insane, and there are days when i thank God that i'm way too huge to ever do anything like that.

here's your pics.

ya friggin gnome.

Old 12-22-2006, 02:14 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well mine isn't nearly exciting, I'm an Environmental, Health & Safety Mgr for Tyco. My job is to make sure that none of our 600 employees kill themselves and the EPA doesn't give us a $10M fine. Not a dangerous job but it's a 24/7 thing and the EPA, DOT, and OSHA have my home phone number. It's one of only a few positions in the company thay can get you sent to federal prison.

12 years and no fatalities (but we cam eclose this year).

Quick Reply: OT. Where I work.....