Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   UK 3.2 Turbo hits the road (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/319420-uk-3-2-turbo-hits-the-road.html)

nick_968 12-23-2006 05:35 PM

Custom Nicasil sleeves.

MPD47 12-23-2006 05:36 PM

Nice build, cant believe you stayed looking so stock with all that work though! Love the track photos :)

RolexNJ 12-23-2006 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Diver944
Ok Rob you asked for it :rolleyes: It's still pretty manky here so heres a few pics of LIL (my car) and a few 944 on track at Silverstone. You'll have to excuse the white 968 CS but it belongs to Callum Lockie the GT and Le Mans racer who runs this particular track day :thumbup:

With credit to Rick Cannell (Eastendr on Rennlist) who took all the pics. In fact most of us over here don't take our cameras anywhere anymore because Rick does such a superb job for all of us :D

Wow, some sweet ass photos my friend of those cars! Nice! And yes, I know Rick, we have talked many times as he rebuilt his 944T. I know he used alot of Lindsey Racing parts too. Anyway, thanks for sharing, and now you're making me very jealous too, dammit! And Paul, as Duke said, are those sleeves made by Darton, if not, who?

RennBod 12-23-2006 05:39 PM

Isnt Faszination a Ruf video 333pg333 ??

Duke, I dont know what a pyramid ring is, or an MID Sleeve, but I know its something wonderful and I want onefo these and want to know more!!

OZ951 12-23-2006 05:50 PM

Geez Paul I can see why you have a **** eating grin in your photo. 3.2 well built sleeper, thats awsome, I think you just set some new standards. Absolutely great job.

nick_968 12-23-2006 06:03 PM

As its Pauls car I dont want to give away too much info.....I will let him fill you in on the details!!!

I am off to party in London now.....catch u later guys.

:biggulp:

indi9xx 12-23-2006 06:04 PM

Originally these were going to be Darton MID sleeves, But after evaluation we decided to go another route as Nick said, involving the sleeves being custom made, installed, honed, plated with a nickel ceramic and then honed again.

Luckily we have assistance from the F1 Motor sport industry, without such help, this project could never have happened.

The level of precision in this engine build has been absolutely brain bending, with tolerances finer than Porsche specify being critical. But the details count when it comes to sleeping at night and coming up with the goods. Besides, Simon our engine builder loves nothing more than worrying about a 10th of a thou here or there.

Nice pictures Paul... Its good to see some other familiar 944's at silverstone, in particular J44TBO, which is a car we still have a soft spot for here at JMG/9XX (as we do for LIL now also and Nick's 3.0 968 Turbo along with others!)

Rennbod, is that you PaulW? If so (or not actually), we are closed officially until the new year, but pop past the workshop during christmas week, some of the chaps and I will be around at times running some mad scientist experiments, so you can stop for a coffee.

Duke 12-23-2006 06:11 PM

Can you reveal a ball park figure for the block sleeving and pistons? :icon107:

indi9xx 12-23-2006 06:30 PM

We are working on that at the moment... Paul's engine is the first of its kind, so we are watching it closely before we commit to completing the number 2 engine which is almost built and waiting to go into another 944 turbo.. The last thing we want to do is get too excited patting each other on the back and making several of these and then having to recall them all to make a modification.

Also, we do not want to be seen as spamming or abusing a forum, so we would have to check the rules here before we even thought about printing prices in answer to the requests in this thread.

We are talking about offering 3.2's (as well as 2.5's, 2.8's and 3.0's) in several configurations (sleeved or not sleeved in the case of 2.5's and 2.8's) , with several optional extras (piston squirters or not for example) in fully assembled, short engine or kit form including just what parts you need.

First of all though, we just want to make sure that Paul's engine does not self destruct, has a teething problem or anything else before we start getting confident! :)

We are also working on some other variations of capacity and 16 valve versions... we are also keen to see how far we can push the boundaries of max RPM, again with the help of some helpful friends in F1 as one of our future targets.. But thats all I can say about that for now!

333pg333 12-23-2006 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by RennBod
Isnt Faszination a Ruf video 333pg333 ??

Duke, I dont know what a pyramid ring is, or an MID Sleeve, but I know its something wonderful and I want onefo these and want to know more!!

Yes it is. The quote was in reference to Paul spinning rubber in 5th gear like the guy in the Ruf footage. By the way there is a link to the video of the Ruf on another post here a.t.m. It's amazing car control at serious speeds. Well worth a look if you haven't seen it!

Nice photos of all those dark 944t's, why at the end of the grid though? What's going wrong here? lol. I could only see road rubber too or am I wrong?

Also good to see you on Rennlist Jon. The more cross pollination of different ideas the better in our community.

indi9xx 12-23-2006 07:49 PM

The 944 Turbos have to start at the back of the grid so the other cars get to see the front of them for a short time.. the rest of the track day they will only get to see the back of them in the distance! lol

Most of the cars there are daily drivers rather than dedicated track toys and as they drove to the circuit, its often hard to squeeze in a set of spare wheels with slicks into the back of the car.

Rennlist seems like quite a cool place to hang out, lots of great projects going on, if I am welcome I will stick around!

Jon

333pg333 12-23-2006 08:04 PM

Well a lot of the US posters would be unaware of you and your long association with Porsches so I'm sure that you're more than welcome, but as an Aussie that's not for me to say. :biggulp:

RolexNJ 12-23-2006 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Well a lot of the US posters would be unaware of you and your long association with Porsches so I'm sure that you're more than welcome, but as an Aussie that's not for me to say. :biggulp:

We gladly welcome him and his work, the more knowledge and info, unlike some people who dont like to share, the better the community is. I'm "very" happy to see a good amount of guys from the UK doing great work. Right Patrick?

:biggulp:

333pg333 12-24-2006 02:25 AM

Hey for sure from where I stand! Jon has a long association with Porsche's and it's great to see all these fantastic things happening to our cars all over the world. I hope this slowly helps to raise the profile of our great cars and they embark on a world renaissance! Big sentence, but the right intentions.

Diver944 12-24-2006 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I could only see road rubber too or am I wrong?

LIL was on slicks and G498 was on Pirelli P-Zero C track tyres, It was a 4 hour evening session a few years ago when it had been raining all day long (A GT2 totalled itself dring the day in heavy rain :eek: ). We both live a few minutes away from the circuit so brought our dry tyres, but the other guys lived a few hours away and thought there was no point as it would still be raining .

Part of the fun in tracking old 80's machinery like ours is passing the modern expensive cars. If we go out at the front of the session you have to do a few laps before you lap them. Starting at the back you have people to pass straight away ;)

I haven't driven on track since May 2005 - I have a lot of re-learning to do :crying: